Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Post by Arbok »

I used to really love Ebirah, Horror of the Deep... and still do enjoy the island settings and the human cast is stellar, but has fallen a bit out of grace for me personally of late because I just can't help but see a monster besides Godzilla in the role (they really could have adapted it a bit more to fit the Godzilla character than they did).

Still, very enjoyable Godzilla film none the same.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Yeah, I notice now how sometimes Godzilla acts a little too much like you-know-who. I don't find it too distracting, though.

I probably watched this Godzilla movie more than any other when I was a kid, so it has the strongest nostalgia value for me. It's a really solid film, too.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I wrote a rather lengthy reply to RabidGodzilla's post, but the threads were merged while I was writing, so when I hit Submit, I lost everything I'd done.

I don't think I have the energy to re-write it all right now. Basically, I said:

- Panned and scanned/poor quality bootleg experiences did its rich visuals no justice, so I didn't really appreciate it until the DVD came out

- Godzilla being used to fill in for Kong cast him in a role that didn't quite fit, which keeps it from being a classic Godzilla movie

- The engaging human story and colorful visuals still make it too much fun for the odd use of Godzilla to damage it too much

So, overall, I give it a mid-range ranking.

I said it a lot better the first time, with supporting points and stuff.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Woops. Sorry. Thought I ran through things well. I'll be sure to check better next time!
"Now I am become death....The destroyer of worlds."

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

This is a good movie. Really, it's a lot of fun to watch. The human characters were funny and interesting, while the monster scenes were original and unique. Who could forget the monster volleyball scene or the underwater battle? As an added bonus, we even get adult Mothra during the final act! I really don't understand the hate this movie gets, or at least used to get. Why does this have such a low score on IMDB? Why did Mystery Science Theater 3000 riff on this movie? I really don't get it; this movie was great.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

If I am correct, MST3K did films that were - or were perceived to be - in the public domain at the time.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:As for MST3K...Maybe Toho just gave them the license and they were stuck with it. Wasn't all that great an episode.
Toho never gave them the license (they were pissed off when Key of Keys was turned into What's Up Tiger Lily, no way they would let MST3K make fun of a Godzilla film).

I believe MST3K bought the rights for Ebirah, Horror of the Deep from a company that claimed to own them... but the company actually didn't, and was falsely distributing them under the thought that they were public domain. Or at least that's the story I had heard.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The original US version of GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER has no copyright notice, which is why many distributors in the '80s assumed it was in the public domain. Best Brains (BBI) licensed SEA MONSTER from Film Ventures International (FVI), which also created brand new opening credits, complete with a new copyright notice. All of the films featured on MST3K that were licensed through FVI have new opening credits, so I don't think BBI licensed MEGALON through FVI.

For the MST3K Vol. 10 DVD release, GODZILLA VS. MEGALON was licensed through Krypton International Films. Rhino also licensed WOMEN OF THE PREHISTORIC PLANET from the same company for Vol. 9. Both of these volumes are now out of print because Krypton did not actually control the rights to either film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Extensive research on Film Ventures International:

http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/index. ... hread=6977

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Could someone explain to me the tiff between godzilla and mothra at the end? It seemed as though they were communicating and then just got pissed at each other.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Could someone explain to me the tiff between godzilla and mothra at the end? It seemed as though they were communicating and then just got pissed at each other.
I think Mothra tried to tell Godzilla it was the larva from GTTH but Godzilla wouldn't listen since the last time he was face to face with an adult Mothra it attacked him. I guess Godzilla decided to get some payback since he may have not known it was the same mothra he fought with before.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

If we're gonna give that much weight to Godzilla's intelligence, we would have to assume he's smart enough to know the original Mothra he battled is dead - cuz he, ya know, killed her. :P

But I doubt the filmmakers were thinking of any of this too much. Continuity became looser and looser throughout the sixties, and was eventually thrown out the window entirely until a semi-connection between GvsMG and TOMG in 74/75.
Last edited by tymon on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

tymon wrote:If we're gonna give that much weight to Godzilla's intelligence, we would have to assume he knows the original Mothra he battled is dead - cuz he, ya know, killed her. :P
But did he see her body? He may not have known she was dead. Not saying he is really dumb but he can make mistakes I'm sure :lol:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Or he could have had a bad memory. I'm sure he suffered at least a few head injuries in all of those intense battles lol.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Either way Mothra really didn't want to fight Godzilla and I think this mothra consider Godzilla somewhat of a friend until he attacked :lol: Maybe Godzilla was a little punch drunk or still ready for a fight after he finished of Ebirah

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Can you honestly believe on Amazon.com the DVD ITSELF is over 3,700 dollars.

Really......who'd pay that much money for one DVD? Heck who'd think (The person who came up with the price) anyone would pay that much for just one DVD?

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I do agree he is fight first talk second. But he did communicate pretty well in GTTHM.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Godzilla probably just hate moths.

For one, animals have keen sense of smell so Godzilla obviously recognize the scent of the little worm that tied him up in silk and tripped him into the sea. You don't fool Godzilla in that butterfly get-up Mothra :lol:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

ILL GREEN wrote:Godzilla probably just hate moths.

For one, animals have keen sense of smell so Godzilla obviously recognize the scent of the little worm that tied him up in silk and tripped him into the sea. You don't fool Godzilla in that butterfly get-up Mothra :lol:
But would they have the same scent once a larva transforms to an adult? Maybe Godzilla smelt an adult Mothra and got mad after last time or maybe he was just holding a grudge :lol: he seemed to get along with the mothra larva that lived with him on Monster Island

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Godzillian wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:Godzilla probably just hate moths.

But would they have the same scent once a larva transforms to an adult? Maybe Godzilla smelt an adult Mothra and got mad after last time or maybe he was just holding a grudge :lol: he seemed to get along with the mothra larva that lived with him on Monster Island
I guess maybe it could be a mental telepathic thing if not by scent, they do seem to possess some type of psychic power. They were friends in GTTHM after MvG, but Godzilla is a loner and seeks domination, so most likely Mothra was getting too friendly.