Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by miguelnuva »

The only negative I have with this film is that the monster battles were short. Godzilla and Rodan vs King Ghidorah just screams exciting battle to me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nice artwork. Both Godzilla and Namikawa really stand out.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think Invasion of the Astro Monster is one of Toho greatest sci-fi movies, a great combination of aliens and daikaiju. However the daikaiju part is second fiddle to the alien part. The daikaiju highlight is the three monsters on a rampage. It has a great mix of daikaiju on the rampage, people running in fear, and the military attempting to counter attack. There is also some skillful use of stock footage for many of the destruction scenes. The two battles, one on planet X and the other back on Earth, are short. But do feature plenty of action, not much of the monsters just standing around.

So as a Godzilla movie, judging it by how much Godzilla is seen or how much of the plot is directly about Godzilla, it really isn't that good. But as a sci-fi movie that mixes in Godzilla it is excellent.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The kaiju are just one thread in the movie's tapestry, and I certainly wouldn't want to the entire series to take that approach, but in the context of that one movie, it was a great way to avoiding falling into a formula.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't mind the kaiju being sidelined for this movie at all. It was a good alien invasion movie, and the kaiju are more or less icing on the cake. It helps that most of the scenes they did get were memorable standouts. In particular, I love the scene where Godzilla and Rodan are captured by the aliens, and the battle on Planet X was a great novelty.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't mind the kaiju being sidelined for this movie at all. It was a good alien invasion movie, and the kaiju are more or less icing on the cake. It helps that most of the scenes they did get were memorable standouts. In particular, I love the scene where Godzilla and Rodan are captured by the aliens, and the battle on Planet X was a great novelty.
It helps that the human story was actually not boring and had something going on.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I don't mind the kaiju being sidelined for this movie at all. It was a good alien invasion movie, and the kaiju are more or less icing on the cake. It helps that most of the scenes they did get were memorable standouts. In particular, I love the scene where Godzilla and Rodan are captured by the aliens, and the battle on Planet X was a great novelty.
It helps that the human story was actually not boring and had something going on.
As in all the best kaiju flicks, you really don't have a "human story" and a "monster story" here, just one story that involves the relationship between humanity and monsters.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

In this classic, you'll see effects so dated, so kitsch they couldn't call them special.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Really curious what definition of "kitsch" could be applicable to... well, to any special effects. Kitsch describes aesthetic choices, not technical capabilities.

You could call the design choices kitschy, I guess, but the design in this flick is rad.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The special effects do stand up, though dated. The alien tractor beam and bubbles containing the captured monsters still look good compared to today's effects.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I don't understand the idea of looking good "compared to" anything. If they look good, they look good.

I think American viewers tend to conflate "convincing" with "good" in terms of effects, but that's a very narrow standard.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Personally I think Invasion of the Astro Monster has the best effects of any film of the 1965. And one some of the best of the 1960s, only other films that are comparable are 2001, Jason and the Argonauts, and Planet of the Apes. If your definition of "dated special effects" means it doesn't look like the film was released this year, then yes every film released before will have "dated special effects".

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
As in all the best kaiju flicks, you really don't have a "human story" and a "monster story" here, just one story that involves the relationship between humanity and monsters.
Ah yeah you do. They're called sub-plots. Being connected does not make them one story. Monsters obviously effect the humans but the humans don't always have an effect on the monsters.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Psst, Space Hunter M is quoting the back of the Paramount VHS box for this movie.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:Psst, Space Hunter M is quoting the back of the Paramount VHS box for this movie.
*high five*

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Ah yeah you do. They're called sub-plots. Being connected does not make them one story. Monsters obviously effect the humans but the humans don't always have an effect on the monsters.
Well, plot and story are not synonymous. A central plot can branch off in sub-plots, but all can be contributing to one basic conflict/thematic core. Story is broader and more conceptual than plot, which is basically mechanical.

But, yes, you're right that the humans' actions don't always effect the course of the monsters' plot lines in these pictures. And that generally results in weaker movies, hence my point that in the best kaiju flicks, the two tend to function in tandem rather than separately.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here's a nice, interesting article by David Kalat about GvsMonster Zero:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/06/27/uh-oh-monster-zero/
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kalat is one of my favorite writers on this subject (Godzilla films in general, I mean, not Monster Zero in particular).

Still, I question his classification of Kubo's roles Gorath, Attack of the Mushroom People and Monster Zero as "small." While none of them are the lead roles in their respective movies (although Mushroom People is a true ensemble film, so almost everybody is equally the "lead," and the same is nearly true of "Gorath").

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Passing by to say that the ending with the kaiju-orgy-cannonball composed of Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah falling to the sea is still as amusing as ever.

One of the best endings of the Showa era, fun-wise.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I've been thinking, on the off chance a Hong Kong International dub exists for this film, who would dub who. Most likely, it would probably have the same voice cast from the International dubs Matango, Dogora and Atragon.
I think it would be great if Ted Thomas, the guy who dubbed Kubota in Vs. Gigan, dubbed The Controller. I can just hear him saying some of The Controllers most memorable lines!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.