Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

he-ba wrote:If Titano was in DAM, I think the Kilaaks would have to hire other monsters to help Ghidorah out. Titano is just as tall and much stronger (muscularly) than Ghidorah.
:eh: Fact or opinion?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Opinion, but most would agree it's a fact.

I just don't find Showa Ghidorah all that strong. He's cool, but he just doesn't have all this power that Godzilla, Rodan, Gorosaurus, Anguirus, Titano, MechaG, or either of the Gargantuas have. Besides his gravity beams, he's not powerful at all. Don't get me wrong, I love Showa Ghidorah, but I feel like everybody makes him bigger than he really is.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm sure it has to do with his reputation. The three headed dragon decimated an entire world according to the prophetess, but Mars/Venus probably didn't have monsters that could resist Ghidorah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Titano is pretty cool, I really like his design in Unleashed.
AKA Jamie.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I was so happy when Titano was released with Unleashed, but I thought the idea of his sonic beam over his tail made me a little upset. Sure, it was 2007, but come on!

I really hope that we get another G game with even more monsters, maybe even Gamera monsters as well. I also pray that with next gen gaming they have the ability to even have every monster have his/her own style of fighting (i.e. Titano, Ebirah, Hedorah) instead of all of them having the same exact base with different skins.

....sorry, I realize that was off topic but if I took that to the Video Gaming section, they'd either delete my topic or ignore me.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

FalconZ
Monarch Researcher

Titanosaurus: WHY ALL THE LOVE?? :D

Post by FalconZ »

I noticed recently that the Titanosaurus fanbase have been getting more and more members into our infamous group. I love Titanosaurus and he is my favorite kaiju. There was a time when I used to back him up in any FM no matter the opponent. Yeah, that was ignorant.
But what I want to know is why is he so popular? He appeared in only one movie.

My Theory: I think it's just the mysteriousness and uniqueness that make him so likable. He defiantly is a creative kaiju. That roar is just... <33333
Last edited by FalconZ on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
FalconZ wrote:People putting words in my mouth.
Be thankful words are the only things being put in your mouth

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Titanosaurus: WHY ALL THE LOVE?? :D

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3455

Please merge....
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

edgaguirus wrote:He might be even more dangerous without control. Titanosaurus is peaceful by nature, but even peaceful animals will turn fierce when threatened. If cornered, Titanosaurus could prove a greater foe.
While Titanosaurus definitely put up a respectable fight, there's little doubt that Godzilla would have come out victorious in one on one match between the two. His wind didn't blow Godzilla away until MechaGodzilla assisted with his lasers. Furthermore, Godzilla had the advantage at various points during the final fight. MechaGodzilla's interventions prevented Godzilla from finishing his opponent.

FalconZ
Monarch Researcher

Post by FalconZ »

Omg, I didn't merge cause my questions never get answered
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

three
Keizer

Post by three »

FalconZ wrote:I noticed recently that the Titanosaurus fanbase have been getying more and more members into our infamous group. I love Titanosaurus and he is my favorite kaiju. Their was a time when I used to back him up in any FM no matter the opponent. Yeah, that was ignorant.

My Theory: I think it's just the mysteriousness and uniqueness that make him so likable. He defiantly is a creative kaiju. That roar is just... <33333
his design is rockin', and he is a tooth and claw fighter that gave Godzilla a run for his money. definitely going to gain some fan love, dude.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

FalconZ
Monarch Researcher

Post by FalconZ »

three wrote:
FalconZ wrote:I noticed recently that the Titanosaurus fanbase have been getying more and more members into our infamous group. I love Titanosaurus and he is my favorite kaiju. Their was a time when I used to back him up in any FM no matter the opponent. Yeah, that was ignorant.

his design is rockin', and he is a tooth and claw fighter that gave Godzilla a run for his money. definitely going to gain some fan love, dude.
Oh my, just read that over and I had horrendous errors
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

One of the reasons I like Titanosaurus is because during the 70s films (aka the "Champion Matsuri" era) where we saw some of the most "out there" extravagant kaiju like Hedorah, Gigan, MechaGodzilla, Megalon, Jet Jaguar, etc., Titanosaurus was a nice return to the simple, classic "tooth and claw" kaiju. He also complimented his ally MechaGodzilla perfectly in that MG relied on all of his elaborate powers and hi-tech weapons, while Titanosaurus relied on simple, no-gimmick attacks with his wits and instincts. Additionally, he has an appealing design, a unique/distinctive roar, and proved to be a very worthy opponent for Godzilla.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

To answer the question of "Why so much love?", let's take a look at the things that would make Titanosaurus loved:

- He's from the Showa era. The Showa era tends to be a favorite among Godzilla fans, and if you were born in the 90s or earlier and live in the US, the Showa films are what you grew up with. The Heisei films took a long time to see release in the US, and the Millennium films were obviously made at the tail-end of the 90s and the early 2000s. Meanwhile, the Showa films were always available, and the fact that they also saw a lot of airtime on TV stations in the 90s and early 2000s furthered their accessibility. As such, it is common for Godzilla fans to have a nostalgic fondness for Titanosaurus.

- There are a lot of positive aspects to his design. It's simplistic, coming off as a blend between a seahorse and a spinosaurus without excessive frills. This keeps Titanosaurus from feeling overdesigned. The color palette of red, orange, and yellow compliment each other nicely and are bold and vibrant. A simple design more akin to the 60s with a bright, 70s color scheme turns Titanosaurus into something of a mix of the two decades, sort of a best of both worlds. The face design is great too, having some cuteness about it that denotes "peaceful creature" while not losing out on menace.

- He's a tragic character. He doesn't want to fight and is forced to via mind control. Tragic characters tend to be quite popular (Loki from The Avengers is a good example). Titanosaurus is even more tragic if you take the fact that there's a good chance he died at the end of the film into account.

- His roar is fabulous. It's instantly recognizable and has a lot of charm. I've heard some fans find it annoying, but I'm not one of them.

- He is a tooth and claw kaiju. Many fans prefer tooth and claw kaiju, because many fans prefer the close combat style of fighting over longer-range things such as beams.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaijufiend got it exactly right. The design is beautiful and has interesting color, and that trumpet roar is quite distinctive.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

the roar and design are great, but what gets me is that it's a pure brawler. Titano, forced or not, can throw down.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

three wrote:the roar and design are great, but what gets me is that it's a pure brawler. Titano, forced or not, can throw down.
Yeah, him and Godzilla seemed evenly matched strength wise. That's why TOMG is such a great film. Titano can match Godzillas strength and Mechagodzilla can match Godzilla's beam weapons and powers. Nice combo of organic and machine.
Not to mention Titanosaurus oddly has the power of using hurricane winds, a power relegated to mostly winged kaiju like Rodan and King Ghidorah.

Not sure if this is mentioned but Titano has the distinction of being the last truly original kaiju that doesn't have some elaborate backstory. Biollante, Spacegodzilla and Orga are godzilla clones, Megaguirus is technically from Showa, monsters like Monster X, Fire Rodan and MKG are different forms of old monsters and Battra is dependent on mothra. Titanosaurus can exist without any other monster in the franchise existing and is the last indepdent TOHO monster. Mutos usurp that though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Destroyah?

he wasn't necessarily dependent on Godzilla (hear me out) because it could have ended up created sans Godzilla if we invented the oxygen destroyer. the whole moral conflict of making something so destructive to kill something awakened by atomic weapons was at the center of the first movie, so it's safe to say that the movie was suggesting that humans will always make something worse.

in that sense, Destroyah could have happened regardless, so i would say that it was original. it didn't depend on Godzilla, even if it was indirectly related.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

three wrote:Destroyah?

he wasn't necessarily dependent on Godzilla (hear me out) because it could have ended up created sans Godzilla if we invented the oxygen destroyer. the whole moral conflict of making something so destructive to kill something awakened by atomic weapons was at the center of the first movie, so it's safe to say that the movie was suggesting that humans will always make something worse.

in that sense, Destroyah could have happened regardless, so i would say that it was original. it didn't depend on Godzilla, even if it was indirectly related.
Destroyah was still tied to the series in him being a reference to a device, the oxygen destroyer. To clarify my earlier post Titanosaurus is the only monster until the Mutos that is not connected to past lore in any shape or form and is wholly original. My phrasing on connected to Godzilla was wrong. Does this make sense?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

it makes much sense now haha. my bad; you are correct good sir.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I like me some Titanosaurus! He's very basic like Gorosaurus and that's why I like him. I don't think his roar is annoying, except in Godzilla: Unleashed when its repeated 100000000 times. Just a good kaiju in my opinion.
Resized Image