Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

Post by Arbok »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:So when he's angry his ears flop up? I thought it was for better hearing, because mecha g let out a screetch and then his ears flopped up.
Even though King Caesar was not a mammal or even an organic creature, the ears standing up seemed normal for animal instincts. Almost all creatures have the natural instinct to appear more opposing to their enemies. Frill lizards for example will expand their frills to seem deadly, or other animals will stand upright to give a sense of size to their enemy.

One has to admit, King Caesar looks more imposing with his ears up rather than down.

Using that theory, King Caesar might have been just trying to intimidate Mechagodzilla by seeming larger, not realizing the tactic would have been wasted on a mechanical opponent.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

It's a possible theory too
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

King Ceasar/Caesar/Seesar talk

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Talk about King Ceasar. Do you like him, do you hate him? Is he your favorite or just a generic monster? He's a favorite Showa Kaiju of mine. His appearance is awesome and his combat is up there with Godzilla's.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: King Ceasar/Caesar/Seesar talk

Post by Stevo_1985 »

He's up high on my list of fav showa kaiju. I love his whole backstory, the prophecies, guardian to the royal azumi tribe. Also, the fact that he's not what he appears to be, but rather some sort of mechanical golem, even surpassing godzilla's weight. I wish there were more back story on him.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I like how there is a shredded carpet on his back
Resized Image

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Eh, ya know, he's alright.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

I'm starting to appreciate him more after buying the BC figure. He's actually probably one of my top 10 favorite kaiju from the showa era (#1 is Gabara BTW)
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

King Caesar wrote:Eh, ya know, he's alright.
Oh STFU! Quit sucking your own dick! :)

Oh and gabara is cool too. Anywho, I loved how he beat the crap outta mechagodzilla, then did hardly anything else when Godzilla arrived lol
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

KC is a good monster and a tough mele fighter. He was handling himself well enough against MG until Godzilla arrived.

What I like is the expressive ears; How they suddenly perk up at the approach of MG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I laugh when King Caesar's ears fly up, especially in GFW.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

King Caesar is kind of cool in GvMG, but he is by far Godzilla's worst Showa partner. He gets his ass kicked for most of the fight and barely helps Godzilla out. When Godzilla is going out to sea at the end, he doesn't even wave goodbye to KC because he was so useless in the fight. Even Jet Jaguar beat the crap out of Megalon, crippled Gigan and helped lift Godzilla out of the flames.

I do think KC is overdue for a new film and a good one at that (screw final wars).
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

I think they should have stuck with Anguris , and used the money for the Ceasar suit money on the budget.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

gojimantis wrote:I think they should have stuck with Anguris , and used the money for the Ceasar suit money on the budget.
Well anguiras had his ass handed to him by MG. How useful do you think he would have been? At least Ceasar put up a fight.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
gojimantis wrote:I think they should have stuck with Anguris , and used the money for the Ceasar suit money on the budget.
Well anguiras had his ass handed to him by MG. How useful do you think he would have been? At least Ceasar put up a fight.
they could have wrote it as less of an ass whooping, Godzilla ran into a bit of Troublethe first time he met MG too, now didn't he?
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

They also could have wrote anguiras completely out of it. And King C delivered more of an ass whooping to MG. They could have rewrote alot. But they didnt. So that point is irrelevant.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I like the story behind KC, but some of you are correct, he got his butt kicked by MG. Wasn't much help to Godzilla. KC should of been a bad a$$. Maybe not strong enough to defeat MG, but enough to cause him some heart burn.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

It is a shame that the payoff for almost an entire movie's worth of build-up is a brief fight and near irrelevance in the showdown with Mechagodzilla. But, to be fair, had MG not had that ridiculous arsenal, King Caesar could've given him more of a challenge.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

King Caesar wrote:It is a shame that the payoff for almost an entire movie's worth of build-up is a brief fight and near irrelevance in the showdown with Mechagodzilla. But, to be fair, had MG not had that ridiculous arsenal, King Caesar could've given him more of a challenge.
I know people say that King Ghidorah was G's strongest foe, but I would argue that and say MG was by far G's toughest opponent. Its almost laughable the amount of firepower MG posseses. Godzilla was not exactly kicking MG's ass either. Had it not been for his random ability to turn himself into a magnet he very well could have lost. So its kind of unfair to say KC is a bad fighter. Put him up against other kaiju in the series and I bet he would hold his own just fine.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MechaG only whooped his a$$ because he had weapons. Caesar was able to take him on physically but when MechaG used his rockets and chest beam Caesar was screwed. At least KC got some good hits off on MG before turning into a punching bag.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Curious, were ther two King Ceasar costumes made for this movie? One of the most common images I've seen of him was with a enlongated jaw like a dog, but in the movie his jaw is very shorter and has a gem, in his head. Am I missing somethin here?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"