Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #37: King Caesar (Showa)

Post by Mechagigan »

I've always thought King Ceasar was Toho's last attempt at making a popular new monster akin to King Ghidorah or Mothra; The plot of GvMG heavily surrounds around him, he has a mystical and gripping background, and he has a very animal-esque look.

That said, I'm kind of surprised it didn't work. Ceasar has all the makings for a popular monster, right down to the starring role. Maybe Japan's audiences were too interested in Ultraman style shows at the time?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mechagigan wrote:I've always thought King Ceasar was Toho's last attempt at making a popular new monster akin to King Ghidorah or Mothra; The plot of GvMG heavily surrounds around him, he has a mystical and gripping background, and he has a very animal-esque look.

That said, I'm kind of surprised it didn't work. Ceasar has all the makings for a popular monster, right down to the starring role. Maybe Japan's audiences were too interested in Ultraman style shows at the time?
By the time the film came out the kaiju peek of the 60s was over. Audiences weren't that interested in those type of films outside of children really.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

what a bizarre and random creature KC is. i never would have seen this thing coming, nor did i expect a mammal of all things to crawl into the Godzillaverse and start raising hell against one of the most powerful monsters ever unleashed. his beam reflection and the fact that he was in a movie with MG makes it all the more appropriate that in the Heisei films, MG2 gets a beam canceling ability as well.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I love KC. He has a really nice look to him that makes him feel like an all-powerful god! I was a little disappointed that MG was able to beat him......
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Definitely a favorite of mine...for whatever reason he just suddenly stood out to me. I think he's interesting and unique among the Showa Godzilla kaiju, and I think he's pretty damn badass all things considering, held his own against an upgraded Mechagodzilla for a bit.

Design wise I like both Showa and Millennium, though if I had to really choose just one I'd go with Showa.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree. The googly eyes for the millenium KC were a bit comical.

I like how KC mixed the mythical with the kaiju. I'd seen statues of Shisa before, and KC morphed their physiology and humanoid design into a great looking monster. It was fierce, strong, and a pretty good fighter.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

kindred.dread
Ronin

Post by kindred.dread »

Just not having a reptilian-like appearance already sets him apart. He's certainly a unique design but he never does much. He doesn't contribute a lot to the fight (as I recall) or appear soon enough. And that fucking song. Of course I'd like to see him appear again, maybe with more abilities to make him even more distinct. He could really be a feral, wild sort of kaiju.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I really like King Caesar. He's like a mythical feel to him, and I love how he's like a golem and his unique ability. I don't like his 2004 incarnation though; his eyes are really weird looking and he doesn't appear to have his beam reflect ability. All in all a good kaiju, horribly underrated though.
Resized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I like the concept of King Caesar, and his tag battle with Godzilla against Mechagodzilla was an entertaining show to say the least. But for all the build up the movie gave him I felt he was a bit lackluster when he finally did show up. He reflected an attack back at Mechagodzilla, and after that proceeded to get pummeled needing Godzilla to bail him out in a hurry. King Caesar wasn't even the key to allow Godzilla to defeat Mechagodzilla, that was him becoming a magnet.

Just felt he should have done a little better against Mechagodzilla and helped a bit more in the final fight. Or at least tone down the hype in the film. Still I like the design and story behind it enough and the energy eye reflection is a nifty trick (Would have made him dangerous in the Heisei era honestly.)