Monster Discussion #36: MechaGodzilla (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #36: MechaGodzilla (Showa)

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

He's a a well designed kaiju. I hate how SMG has become the standard Mecha-G.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Honestly I like how SuperMechaGodzilla is the standard Mechagodzilla now. Though, like I said before, Mechagodzilla needs to go back to being the antagonist, a robot made out of Space Titanium, and built by the Blake Hole Aliens.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillaprime05 wrote:He's a a well designed kaiju. I hate how SMG has become the standard Mecha-G.
Yeah, that's bugged me for quite some time, actually. He's easily the lamest of the three, and not even popular in Japan.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Goji wrote:
Godzillaprime05 wrote:He's a a well designed kaiju. I hate how SMG has become the standard Mecha-G.
Yeah, that's bugged me for quite some time, actually. He's easily the lamest of the three, and not even popular in Japan.
I hate how any monster has become the standard anything. Why can't we have a comic with a showa MechaG and a arcade game with a heisei MechaG? Same goes with Ghidorah, or Godzilla, or Rodan, or anybody!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

According to one of the Editors for the Godzilla license at IDW, the rule is that Toho wants the monster being used with its appropriate origin. Mechagodzilla is a good example of this; you are not allowed to have the Showa Mechagodzilla (whom is an alien war machine) being used in the role of an Earth-made super weapon. Since Mechagodzilla is almost always used in modern media as the Earth-based super weapon, the Heisei design is the go to for that. Kiryu must have some weird circumstance as to why he isn't used.

Note that, in Legends #3, when they show the Simian homeworld building their armada for invasion, they're very clearly constructing Showa-style Mechagodzillas.

This also explains why the GMK design is used at IDW; in KoM, he's an ancient mystical creature, despite being evil. So the Showa design is a no-go.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's very informative, TVG. Thanks for that. (I haven't picked up any of the IDW comics just yet).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Goji wrote:That's very informative, TVG. Thanks for that. (I haven't picked up any of the IDW comics just yet).
The Legends mini-series is wonderful and I highly recommend them. The covers in particular will make a great display on my wall once I have all of them and don't require any previous knowledge of anything to jump into. Gangsters & Goliath's is also a solid and fantastically original Godzilla story. Their ongoing is hit/miss, mostly on the miss side.

As for Showa Mechagodzilla, he's easily my favorite versions of the character and I always love seeing attempts at bringing out those classic and distinct elements of this design into a more modern look. Some of the concept art for the Heisei Mechagodzilla really draws from his incarnation (in particular that art poster).
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Since Mechagodzilla is almost always used in modern media as the Earth-based super weapon, the Heisei design is the go to for that. Kiryu must have some weird circumstance as to why he isn't used.
I'm guessing that's because Kiryu loses 90% of his charcater if he isn't Godzilla.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:
Since Mechagodzilla is almost always used in modern media as the Earth-based super weapon, the Heisei design is the go to for that. Kiryu must have some weird circumstance as to why he isn't used.
I'm guessing that's because Kiryu loses 90% of his charcater if he isn't Godzilla.
If I was to hazard to a guess, Toho might require the whole Kiryu thing be elaborated on and that isn't economical for story purposes. Or atleast be "cyborg" and not just "big robot".

SmogMonster
Yojimbo

Post by SmogMonster »

Last edited by SmogMonster on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I find the origin to be fan-servicey and overall not executed to its strongest potential. But I find the design of Kiryu to be wonderful. The Heisei Mechagodzilla is excessively smooth and just generally bland. I love the technical detailing that Kiryu has; it feels more like a legitimate weapon then the glossy plastic look that the nineties Mechagodzilla has.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

I liked MG's 'smooth'- its the kind of look I'd expect a futuristic (which MG essentially was) MG to have.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:I liked MG's 'smooth'- its the kind of look I'd expect a futuristic (which MG essentially was) MG to have.
I expected something more rickety looking from reverse engineered Future technology; not something that is seemingly more advanced looking then the source.

It makes sense for the "trade mark" weapon the Plasma Grenade to have a smooth surface to better absorb direct energy attacks; but it still makes for a bland design.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

But if he was more rickety-looing than MKG he wouldn't look particularly futuristic, no? It does represent more accurately the direction of technology- its not turning into Bay-formers but smoothening to the iPhone.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

SmogMonster wrote:Heisei Mechagodzilla is superior to Kiryu in almost every conceivable way, from design to origin to execution.
No, not really. The Heisei MG is easily the blandest of the three as far as design. As for his origin...he's a giant robot built by human beings. Rivetting.

SmogMonster
Yojimbo

Post by SmogMonster »

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I think that the film, GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA feels like a live action anime, but Kiryu himself doesn't remind me of anything relating to anime at all. He looks what he's supposed to; a new take on the Mechagodzilla character, and I think he succeeds greatly in that department. Meh, we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

At least we can agree that the Showa MG is the bee's knee's, and the most appealing of the three. I seriously miss MG being a bad guy. =/

SmogMonster
Yojimbo

Post by SmogMonster »

Big Rab
Ronin

Post by Big Rab »

The showa Mechagodzilla is my favorite antagonist of the series. As a kid, I was always creeped out by the way it looked and moved. To me, it possessed a fearsome sense of self confidence coupled with smug sense of superiority. It didn't move much compared to other kaiju but when it did move, it was always slow and deliberate and that made it look cold and calculating. The suit itself was evil looking. Its brow made it look angry and as Goji pointed out earlier, its yellow eyes gave it a lifeless, uncaring and merciless gaze. Its mouth, when it was open, gave the impression that it had a devilish smile on its face; almost as if it was enjoying the destruction taking place around him.

Simply the best! 8-)

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Though not the best looking version IMO (Kiryu gets that honor), I think that Showa Mechagodzilla was utilized the best. I personally hate the "good guy" aspect of the more recent MGs.