Monster Discussion #36: MechaGodzilla (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kubo
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion #36: MechaGodzilla (Showa)

Post by Kubo »

I like how MG is able to beat the crap out of both Godzilla & King Caesar. He really gives himself a name when he did that. And then his fight against Anguiras...oh man...I think that spank and tail-hold thing was just cruel. Anyways I wanna ask, what was the point of the whole scene in Antartica in the beginning of the movie?
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Always was awesome. Like Kiryu, I like that there was some underlying character to the monster, unlike the 1993 MG.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Showa Mechagodzilla is awesome, especially those cut scenes right after the fake Godzilla disguise comes off. he was portrayed really well by the suit actor too, very rigid and robot like.
would have been cool if he teamed up with Gigan.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Living Corpse wrote:
King Caesar wrote: Anyways I wanna ask, what was the point of the whole scene in Antartica in the beginning of the movie?
A loose tie in with Godzilla vs Megalon showing that after Anggy fell in that hole he was free to go wherever he wanted and tunneled around the world endlessly before his chance encounter with Mechagodzilla. Also, I might be wrong so don't quote me on this but, I believe that was somewhere in Russia, not Antartica. I could be wrong, I haven't seen the film in some time.
That makes a lot more sense now. I only saw Godzilla Vs Megalon once when I rented it from a video store and that was forever ago. I could never have made that connection... :-(
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's been stated that Anguirus is in Siberia at the start of the film.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Goji wrote:It's been stated that Anguirus is in Siberia at the start of the film.
The version I've seen(Sony's) doesn't state where he is, so I always found the opening scene very random.

Anyways, I love Mechagodzilla. The Showa incarnation is probably still the best, mostly because of character. He has a unique ranged arsenal and is still a decent melee fighter(unlike Heisei who's just one beam spammer among many). My only complaint is that he bears little actual resemblance to Godzilla, in both appearance & character. Heisei MG improved on appearance, but that's it. Kiryu had a lot of potential to be the best MG of all, but it kind of fell flat.

Godzilla1989
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzilla1989 »

My favorite Mechagodzilla.
I love GODZILLA and Kentucky Basketball

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Rody wrote:
Goji wrote:It's been stated that Anguirus is in Siberia at the start of the film.
The version I've seen(Sony's) doesn't state where he is, so I always found the opening scene very random.
I'm pretty sure that came from official sources; and you're right; it never was stated in the movie.

Kiryu took the cake in the "My Favorite Mechagodzilla" contest, but this one comes in a very close second. I liked the sharp lines of the head and all his weapons. His look was very impressive to me; an almost scary look to his face. I can't exactly explain it, but the rivet designs, the missiles in his mouth, just everything about him was impressive.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The Ultimate Mecha Kaiju by far, his look is Awesome Mean,Imponent he deserves the recognition he is getting, his Weapondry and Abilities are Impressive he seems like he is never going out of Ammo and could possibly be one of the Strongest in the Series.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

King Kong
GPN Volunteer

Post by King Kong »

Love MechaGodzilla!

Whenever I think MechaGodzilla, it is indeed the Showa MechaGodzilla that ALWAYS comes to mind first. A very worthy addition to the Big G's rogues gallery for sure!

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

The Showa version of the rebirth of mothra beam spamming. I mean, hes got a wespon coming out of everywhere you could put one. And thats why hes awesome.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

MG '74 is a close second in terms of favorites. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla was the 2nd G-flick I was exposed to and I immediatly liked the film and it's characters, Mechagodzilla and the Godzilla suit featured in particular. The whole "Godzilla Terminator" thing he had going at the beginning was awesome, thought I dont like how he was refered to as a cyborg throughout the whole film despite lacking any organic components whatsoever (I guess you can count the fake skin but once that was gone the Cyborg title should have really been dropped =\) . MG's clunky, primitive design actually makes him look pretty scary when coupled with that constant mean look he has.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Chris55 wrote:
Irys X wrote:The Showa version of the rebirth of mothra beam spamming. I mean, hes got a wespon coming out of everywhere you could put one. And thats why hes awesome.
I dunno. I think a dick cannon would have been a great addition. You know, to lighten the mood.
I dunno; the red beam coming out of his belly/chest was close enough for me.

This made me laugh though. :lol:
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

After watching the film again recently, I was surprised to learn that his toes & knees were missiles too!

"Head, and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes...." :P

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I see a lot of complaints that the two later versions of Mecha-G, MG-'93, and Kiryu, were rather weak, and ineffective in combat. But both mechas did end up beating Godzilla. MG-'93 took out Rodan pretty visciously as I remember. But due to a mechanical breakdown in MG-'93's first fight with Godzilla, and Fire Radon's pulling a last minute resurrection. U.N. Mechagodzilla lost. But Kiryu ended up beating the Big-G in both of its flick. Kiryu, reminds me of of what Dr. Mafune suggested to Project Leader Mugar in the creation of building the perfect robot monster. The utilization of living brain cells. Also, one must remember, Mg-'93 and Kiryu were created to combat and stop daikaiju. The original and second Mechagodzilla were designed as weapons of mass destruction. The Simeons didn't give two figs about collateral damage. Which gave the robot a bit of an advantage in combat.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The One and Only wrote:I see a lot of complaints that the two later versions of Mecha-G, MG-'93, and Kiryu, were rather weak, and ineffective in combat.
Other than some kind of electrical attack, I think most folks would argue that Heiei Mechagodzilla was extremely powerful and extremely effective. On his own (e.g. without Rodan's last minute save at the end of the movie), Godzilla was unable to defeat Mechagodzilla. Kiryu, though, does have some legitimacy. As a plot device they always have Kiryu end up needing a repair of some kind. It takes away from the perceived strength and capability that Kiryu has.
The One and Only wrote: Kiryu, reminds me of of what Dr. Mafune suggested to Project Leader Mugar in the creation of building the perfect robot monster. The utilization of living brain cells.
True, although Kiryu couldn't fight on its own like Showa MG could, excepting when it went "wild" and thought it was Godzilla.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

My favorite Mechagodzilla, he's just a badass. He took on two big monsters and nearly won.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Probably the only reason Mechagodzilla lost was because of Godzilla's fancy magnetic trick.

He was beaten fairly easily in the next film, though.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I like the showa MechaGodzilla. But he is my least favorite of the 3 incarnations.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Lately I've been growing a strong appreciation for the original versions of the kaiju. Showa Mechagodzilla may not look quite as much like Godzilla as he should, but he was pulled off better the the Heisei incarnation, and not as "limited" as Kiryu.