Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by Arbok »

Moonewe73 wrote:The third point about Megalon being in Final Wars early on didn't surprise me much.
Every monster was considered for Final Wars, so saying that might be true... but I really, really doubt a draft of the script exists that includes him in place of Hedorah. Only monster that wasn't featured but got factored into concept art, for example, is the Giant Octopus.
Moonewe73 wrote:But I've never heard before about him considered for ROM. Don't know how reliable this bit is, but, in hindsight, that actually would've been more fitting than Desghidorah, IMO.
Have never heard of any report on Megalon being considered for a solo film versus Mothra... I really doubt it's true. Megalon is a bit too close to Battra's larva form anyway.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

gzilla46 wrote:How does he lift stuff if he has drills for hands?
To be fair, the inward sides of his drills are flat.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I like Megalon, the monster and the movie. Toho was really thinking outside the box for his design and it is very original.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Moonewe73
Ronin

Post by Moonewe73 »

NSZ wrote:
Moonewe73 wrote:On this Godzilla Wiki, in the section for Megalon, it said this under Trivia:
There, like, seriously needs to be a giant disclaimer on that site that reads: WARNING! HALF THE MATERIAL IN THIS WIKI IS PURE BS.
HA! Exactly. I did take that into consideration. Hence saying "Don't know how reliable this is, ...." Just like to learn unknown facts, but, yes, know when to detect bad info.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

The Godzilla wiki unreliable huh? (Were talking about the basic one that comes up when you type "Godzilla wiki" right?

I always like Megalon and I think in a good directors hands he could be deadly to BigG.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Megalon has always been one of my favorite monsters. I think it would be cool to see him in another Godzilla film.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

Never like him. He feels like he belongs in ultraman...oh wait there's jet jaguar
Last edited by demoylition on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

demoylition wrote:Never like him. He feels like he belongs in ultrman...oh wait there's jet jaguar
Ther's no such charctr as Ultrman.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Megalons laugh

Post by Dogbert »

Do you recall hearing megalon laugh?
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Megalons laugh

Post by SpaceG92 »

He indeed has a roar that mimic's a laugh. Haven't watched the film in a while but I believe it was when Godzilla and Jet were trapped in the ring of fire. Down, down, down and the flames went higher...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H36hiAjCP8

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It does sound like a laugh.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

wooow really, i dont want to be that guy but does this warrant a thread?

anywho, i thought it sounded evil and kinda menacing actually, come to think of it..... :)
Resized Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I miss Megalon, hope he comes back in a film sometime in the future, LPG or Toho.
Yooo 8-)

Palaeogirl
GPN Volunteer

Post by Palaeogirl »

I love Megalon but unfortunately I don't think its too likely that we'll see him again. He's my second best character in Destroy All Monsters Melee and Save the Earth too!

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

I consider Megalon the single most underrated monster of the whole Godzilla series. His movie isn't good (entertaining, yes, but definitely not good), but speaking of design and abilities of the monster itself...damn, Megalon is awesome. His buglike appearance feels alien and creepy; and his lightning horn, napalm bombs, drill hands and burrowing ability make an impressive array of feats. Too bad he got stuck in a cheap, childish movie and was made to look like a fool instead of a menacing, deadly kaiju he should've been presented as.

Definitely would like to see him recreated in one of the next Godzilla movies...but it's very unlikely.

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

I suspect if we ever see Megalon in a new movie, he will be dramatically redesigned and largely unrecognizable. Not sure I'm down with that, either, since it's the design that makes him so memorable. Suppose, however, that they basically went with the original design, yet featured him in a movie where he was played deadly straight, as a genuinely malicious and destructive monster. Would most viewers be able to accept that? I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority in both the fandom and the general populace on the point.
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

djkgoji wrote:I suspect if we ever see Megalon in a new movie, he will be dramatically redesigned and largely unrecognizable. Not sure I'm down with that, either, since it's the design that makes him so memorable. Suppose, however, that they basically went with the original design, yet featured him in a movie where he was played deadly straight, as a genuinely malicious and destructive monster. Would most viewers be able to accept that? I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority in both the fandom and the general populace on the point.
I think at first, the fans would be like "omg, this isn't our O.G. Megalon we're used to", but after a while, most of them would accept the change, mainly because it would be a change for better (seriously, you can't get much worse with Megalon, he was a complete goofball in GvsMegalon). That saying, minor design tweaks would probably been necessary...which is a thing I'd appreciate, if done in same fashion Showa Gigan was redesignes for GFW.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I agree. Megalon would be heavily redesigned. Doesn't stop me from thinking this single minded drive of Toho's to updated and drastically redesign all their characters is totally brainless. Tsuburaya has been very successful at sticking to the old designs of even their most outlandish monsters. But as long as Toho is embarrassed of their history and audiences there want their Godzilla movies to be serious and dark, that's never going to happen.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Love Megalon! I agree he's totally underrated. A great companion to Gigan. Love the combined aesthetic of the two.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Megalon is a large part of why I love GvsMeg. Ashame his debut film got so little effort. As far as insectoids are concerned, you have kamak and kumonga, their cool, but Megs, he's a beetle. The panzer of the bug world. I would have loved to seen megalon reimagined in the later series. Sadly it was once and done for him despite some vg appearances.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla