Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Thanks, that's quite the interesting listen! I had no idea Russ actually liked working in Japan, according to everything mentioned about him that I've read, he supposedly stayed in his trailer all the time! Also, had no idea that he and Nick Adams were friends.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just watched this for the first time. Hulu's dubbed version, specifically. Very impressive, and unique in a lot of ways. Both Gargantuas had a ton of personality, and there was a lot more monster action than I'd expected. I particularly liked the opening sequence with Oodako, the initial maser attack on Gaira (was nice to see masers as a true threat to kaiju for once), and the somber final battle during the volcano eruption; the music really made that scene.

Dr. Stewart was a likable main character, with a lot of memorable, quotable lines. "Maybe he fell in love with a whale, or something." :lol:

There weren't many standout flaws, either. I agree that the MZ music should've been left out, though. Especially that one use of Godzilla's theme during the Tokyo battle. That was jarring as hell. I'm gathering that the original version didn't have that problem, though, so it isn't the movie's fault.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gaira does have more scenes, and the gargantua shines in those scenes. He is very evil. Sanda is a memorable kaiju, but doesn't quite get those shining moments, except for saving Akemi.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

JAGzilla wrote: Dr. Stewart was a likable main character, with a lot of memorable, quotable lines. "Maybe he fell in love with a whale, or something."
Figured you might like this then.! :P
HayesAJones wrote:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I did, yes. I'd forgotten most of those. :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I liked when he told that dude to shut up and get back to work looking for Gaira evidence
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The main theme for this movie in my opinion may be Ifukubes best score besides the Godzilla theme

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Fun Fact: This movies 50th anniversary is this Sunday, the 31st! I'm gonna be watching to celebrate!
HayesAJones wrote:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Happy anniversary WotG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Honda didn't like this one which is surprising since a lot of nonfans like and remember this one

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Even Brad Pitt! And wasn't it parodied in a Scooby Doo episode? It seems like this is everyone in Hollywood's secret favorite movie.
HayesAJones wrote:

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The fights between Sanda and Gaira served as inspiration for the fight scenes in Quinton Tarantino's KILL BILL Vol.2 between Uma Thurman and Daryl Hannah's characters big fight scene. He had the two actresses watch the flick to get the feel of what he wanted, and Hannah's character, Elle, uses the word "gargantuan" several times. In order to describe the amount of venom the snake that kills Budd pumps into man's system.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It was parodied by Scooby Doo in " Battle of the Humunganauts." They even had a singer performing The Words get Stuck in my Throat.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote:It was parodied by Scooby Doo in " Battle of the Humunganauts." They even had a singer performing The Words get Stuck in my Throat.
That's still my favorite Toho movie reference. Was killing myself laughing when I heard that oh-so familiar song.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFanBoy2003
Terminated
Terminated

does anyone no this movie?

Post by GodzillaFanBoy2003 »

i saw this one movie at my dads a few weeks ago where these two hairy giants fought it was okay but I didnt like it that much because godzilla wasn’t in it and godzilla is the best giant monster! he said i would like it because it was like godzilla but it wasnt because the monsters were brutal brothers and one ate humans which i don’t like! he owned it on tape and says he has some more i might like but i dont know if i should trust him i wish more monster movies were like the godzilla movie where he fights monsters and is friendly with people!
Hi i love godzilla very much

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: does anyone no this movie?

Post by TheSecondComing »

Sounds like The War of the Gargantuas.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/movies/war_o ... antuas.htm

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, that's pretty much all it could be. Which Godzilla movies have you actually seen?

GodzillaFanBoy2003
Terminated
Terminated

Post by GodzillaFanBoy2003 »

yes that is it! i do not know the exact tittles of the ones i ve seen but ive seen the one where he dies by burning i even just got a monster arts of him! ive also seen godzilla vs gigan megalon smog monster spacegodzilla son of godzilla revenge mechagodzilla with rodan all the ones where he fights mothra including the one with the evil black moth! i also have the one where hes evil with white eyes but i really did not like that one or that godzilla he was too mean and scary
Hi i love godzilla very much

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFanBoy2003 wrote:yes that is it! i do not know the exact tittles of the ones i ve seen but ive seen the one where he dies by burning i even just got a monster arts of him! ive also seen godzilla vs gigan megalon smog monster spacegodzilla son of godzilla revenge mechagodzilla with rodan all the ones where he fights mothra including the one with the evil black moth! i also have the one where hes evil with white eyes but i really did not like that one or that godzilla he was too mean and scary
Y'know, it's gonna be interesting to see how your tastes change as you get older; I hope you keep posting here in the years to come!

Both War of the Gargantuas and GMK, which you don't like because of the monsters directly and cruelly attacking people, are among the most popular Japanese giant monster movies. Of course, not everyone agrees, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now you like those movies a lot more than you do now.

As far as trusting your dad when he says he has other movies you might like, I say take a chance! You never know when you're going to find something you love!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.