Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Re: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by Carthormerr »

eabaker wrote:For continuity purposes, Sanda and Frankenstein are the same creature. The scenes of Sanda/Frankenstein as an infant in WotG are, in the context of that movie, essentially replacing the events of FCTW.
Captain Aktion wrote:Sanda grew from some left-over bit of Franky (maybe the severed hand?), was raised briefly in captivity as we see in the flashback (I guess they did still have the hand, right?) and was referred to as Frankenstein by this new team of scientists. Eventually, Sanda gets free and disappears, but along the way manages to leave a bit of himself somewhere in the sea which will eventually grow into Gaira.
Once Gaira shows up and Sanda returns to the scene, they realize that neither is really Frankenstein anymore, and as such begin referring to them as different creatures altogether.

If you like continuity, this seems to be the smoothest way to reconcile it all. Frankly, all it would take is one line, "Well, I guess neither of them is really Frankenstein anymore. Now they're some kind of...Gargantuas."
eabaker you're probably right I suppose, but my mind just has to make some coherent timeline to the Showa era when watching them all through. I'll use Captain Aktion's reasoning next time I watch it.
"A monster can live forever"

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

if the ending pissed you off and NOT 'the words get stuck in my throat' than i think you need to reevaluate your life.

best part of that song is when he shows up and grabs that bitch.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

wrongnote85 wrote:if the ending pissed you off and NOT 'the words get stuck in my throat' than i think you need to reevaluate your life.

I have a strange fascination with that song. It's bad, sure, but it's so audaciously bad...

I mean, "If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart/I would turn the power on/It would amplify my love for you and swear to always love you/And you'd never be gone"???

What the Christ? What the Devil? Who puts those words in that sequence and calls himself a songwriter? Who accepts money for having done such a thing?!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

eabaker wrote:
wrongnote85 wrote:if the ending pissed you off and NOT 'the words get stuck in my throat' than i think you need to reevaluate your life.

I have a strange fascination with that song. It's bad, sure, but it's so audaciously bad...

I mean, "If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart/I would turn the power on/It would amplify my love for you and swear to always love you/And you'd never be gone"???

What the Christ? What the Devil? Who puts those words in that sequence and calls himself a songwriter? Who accepts money for having done such a thing?!

it's not as good as the king cesear song, thats for sure.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

^I don't find the person who accepted the money for writing the crappy song stupid at all. It the person who wrote the freaking check for the tune that I have more problems with than the writer. Anyone can write any wacky thing they want to, but they shouldn't expect to get paid for it. It's when people pay for this stuff that gets my goat.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The One and Only wrote:^I don't find the person who accepted the money for writing the crappy song stupid at all. It the person who wrote the freaking check for the tune that I have more problems with than the writer. Anyone can write any wacky thing they want to, but they shouldn't expect to get paid for it. It's when people pay for this stuff that gets my goat.
I was in no way suggesting that the songwriter was stupid. Evil maybe, but not stupid.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

wrongnote85 wrote:it's not as good as the king cesear song, thats for sure.
"Words Get Stuck in my Throat" is horrible nodoubtaboutit, and not even in the same league as King Caesar's song. The King Caesar tune is pretty doggone catchy if you ask me
"A monster can live forever"

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Well...actually, I think that the surf-guitar riff in Words is pretty catchy too...

EDIT: C'mon, Devo dug it. http://youtu.be/bo_zfUnz4_M
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Captain Aktion wrote:^Well...actually, I think that the surf-guitar riff in Words is pretty catchy too...

See? Devo understood the kind of strange fascination to which I referred.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

Captain Aktion wrote:^Well...actually, I think that the surf-guitar riff in Words is pretty catchy too...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The song is annoying, though thank goodness we have mute buttons.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Captain Aktion wrote:I think that's probably the correct answer. However, I like that the door is open for interpretation.

I've pretty much always read it this way: The events of FCTW happened. Sanda grew from some left-over bit of Franky (maybe the severed hand?), was raised briefly in captivity as we see in the flashback (I guess they did still have the hand, right?) and was referred to as Frankenstein by this new team of scientists. Eventually, Sanda gets free and disappears, but along the way manages to leave a bit of himself somewhere in the sea which will eventually grow into Gaira.
Once Gaira shows up and Sanda returns to the scene, they realize that neither is really Frankenstein anymore, and as such begin referring to them as different creatures altogether.

If you like continuity, this seems to be the smoothest way to reconcile it all. Frankly, all it would take is one line, "Well, I guess neither of them is really Frankenstein anymore. Now they're some kind of...Gargantuas."
I always subscribed to this theory as well, and would make sense that they would call the creature Frankenstein up to that point as they knew it was a offshoot.

Continuity is very loose in the Showa series anyway, when it is there, but my mind always linked the two films in this way.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I never cared for FCTW so I ignore it and see War ofn the Gargantuas as a stand alone film.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:I never cared for FCTW so I ignore it and see War ofn the Gargantuas as a stand alone film.
That's one of the lovely things about the loose continuity of the Showa era kaiju flicks. You can take each one as an independent entity, and not have to deal with the baggage of the prior or subsequent flicks if you don't want to.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:I never cared for FCTW so I ignore it and see War ofn the Gargantuas as a stand alone film.
That's one of the lovely things about the loose continuity of the Showa era kaiju flicks. You can take each one as an independent entity, and not have to deal with the baggage of the prior or subsequent flicks if you don't want to.

I completely agree!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by KaijuFiend »

*Dusts off old thread* I hope it's okay to reply to old threads, I'd assume it's better than starting a new topic. I watched this film for the first time the other day and loved it. Let's get discussion going on this excellent film again!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

KaijuFiend wrote:Let's get discussion going on this excellent film again!
Well let's not waste too much time wondering. Let's get down to work and see if we can find the answer.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

I recall seeing an old 16mm Film Rental catalog in which WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS was listed and apparently (according to them) the special effects were nominated for an Academy Award - Who Knew? I sure didn't.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I'm not overly fond of the U.S. version of the film. The alternative/extended scenes are nice, but they don't add that much, and the music tampering is amusingly stupid. I actually don't mind the overuse of Terror Hunt. It's the MZ additions that bother me.

It was probably wise to jettison the Frankenstein references, though, since the Japanese/international cut retcons any sort of real connection to the previous film anyway. The designations for the monsters could've been kept at least.

Really one of Toho's better looking monster movies. Koizumi's set and location stuff looks great. I'm fond of the daylight Haneda Airport sequence cause everything from the drama and effects units is match cut together so well.