Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

Post by JVM »

I have no idea right now what opinion is. Just as many times as a fan was I called out for liking him as much as I was called out as a hater for disliking him. So right now I'm keeping indifferent to Toho's giant robot. I believe his origins lied in a contest Toho had out to invent a monster for a new solo film series, with him being the winner, and that he was to face Megalon alone before Godzilla and Gigan were added for star power, but I can't verify this.
Last edited by JVM on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion #33: Jet Jaguar

Post by Lionblaze »

I like JJ, he has a good personality and design, even though some say he is a ripoff of Ultraman.
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Lionblaze wrote:I like JJ, he has a good personality and design, even though some say he is a ripoff of Ultraman.
Let's not bring that old debate back up.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

JVM wrote:
Lionblaze wrote:I like JJ, he has a good personality and design, even though some say he is a ripoff of Ultraman.
Let's not bring that old debate back up.
Im not trying to sir ;)
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

If JJ is a ripoff of Ultraman, then I guess that means we can say that Spectreman, Mirrorman, Redman, Godman, Zone Fighter, Greenman, Fireman, Jumborg Ace (the last two which were created by Tsuburaya) and pretty much all the other giant superheroes post-1966 are all ripoffs too, you know, because they are humanoid and change size.

:roll:

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

I love the sound effects they use for JJ. Cool stuff.
-FINIS-

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

RodanRedux wrote:I love the sound effects they use for JJ. Cool stuff.
+1, I think he just wanted to ride the dolphin pedal boat that Rokuro had in the beginning..
his sign language thing was kinda cool too.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

i am really indifferent to jet jags. i do have some respect for him, but he is one of the few toho monsters that looks exactly like a guy in a suit trying to do the robot.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

He's VERY 70's...
the only in-universe creation to shake hands with Godzilla. now thats street cred!
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JJ is in good company. He's in the same club as Ultraman and Zonefighter. His color design is a bit garish, but he has good fighting skills.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I love Jet Jaguar. As far as his fellow Henshin associates go, he is pretty unique. He doesn't get enough credit for that. He's part giant robo and part henshin and he has NO powers; just guts and fisticuffs. No instant kill finishers, no colour timers, nothing.

He has that refined absurdity that makes Gigan such a memorable creation. He's got tons of colours and a rediculous looking head, but the design never gets away from itself. It's very simple, campy, and contained.

Regardless, I wouldn't really want Jet Jaguar to come back. He belongs in the simplier times where you could flip off the audiences intelligence and kids wouldn't ask questions. I wouldn't mind seeing a homage, but a full out return I'd be very suspicious about.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

He's a goofy, silly creation and I love him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Tamura wrote:If JJ is a ripoff of Ultraman, then I guess that means we can say that Spectreman, Mirrorman, Redman, Godman, Zone Fighter, Greenman, Fireman, Jumborg Ace (the last two which were created by Tsuburaya) and pretty much all the other giant superheroes post-1966 are all ripoffs too, you know, because they are humanoid and change size.

:roll:
As I said, can we please not bring that -------- debate back up?

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Oh and how many monsters can claim to have a sweet indie jazz rock tune written about them?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Mbnocp96__E

BAM
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
gojimantis wrote:He's VERY 70's...
the only in-universe creation to shake hands with Godzilla. now thats street cred!

Cough.
cough. cough. :mrgreen: forgot about zone fighter, but is that series tied into the later showa era G films?
i have only watched zone with no subtitles on vhs, and my Japanese is non existent.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

If JJ is a ripoff of Ultraman, then I guess that means we can say that Spectreman, Mirrorman, Redman, Godman, Zone Fighter, Greenman, Fireman, Jumborg Ace (the last two which were created by Tsuburaya) and pretty much all the other giant superheroes post-1966 are all ripoffs too, you know, because they are humanoid and change size.
You know, 3/4 of those were attempts to cash of the Ultraman craze, and Zone Fighter, Mirrorman, Redman and others look suspiciously similar to Ultraman. So yeah, in a sense, they ARE ripoffs.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

They're entries in a archetype started by Ultraman. It happens all the time when something new comes about.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

so...Zone kills Gigan after Vs. Megalon?

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

ZF makes Gigan blow up and go bye bye! (Course he was also whipped on by Godzilla previously... and got zapped by a pretty powerful looking stroke of electricity by the Zone Family).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

He was parachuted down because he was on an episode of Zone Fighter, and that's just "how they rolled". Over thinking it, is pretty pointless.

As for Jet Jaguar, he's the shit. You either love em', or you don't.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.