Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Take it to the Astro-Monster thread, I don't want to get anymore off topic than we already have.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:They aren't trying to assassinate her because of her connection to Mars. They are trying to kill her because the old dude in the beginning of the movie wants to rule the country. He killed Salno's father and he wants to kill her.
Say, I came to wondering with Godzilla 2 in 2018 ... given the fact we have the Kaiju from 1964 who will be back in their 2018 forms BUT do you think there may be a character or princess like character similar to Akiko Wakabayashi's Princess Selina back in 1964? And potentially a connection to King Ghidorah 2018 or more of his 'origins' in a sense? Given if GMK had him for starters as a Guardian Monster of Japan rather than a bad guy even though he still fights GMK Godzilla ...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It could be done, but probably they'll want something original for the plot.

What they might do is make mention of a Princess Selno as a side, hoping that people like us catch it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

edgaguirus wrote:It could be done, but probably they'll want something original for the plot.

What they might do is make mention of a Princess Selno as a side, hoping that people like us catch it.
Hmm - I came to wondering in some of the Toho Kaiju films - well with Mosura and well to an extent Godzilla or rather Goji Junior - humans to an extent can 'communicate' with Kaiju and well Mosura has her twin priestesses speaking on her behalf at times and well Miki Saegusa can 'telepathically' link up with Goji Junior bordering on emotional attachment ... BUT um would you reckon perhaps in the 2018 film some character might be a psychic like Miki Saegusa somewhat and 'communicate' with the Kaiju of the film? Least of which Mosura? I mean well Gamera - the Heisei Gamera did have human hosts at times ...

VisibleNinja
Ronin

Post by VisibleNinja »

I still think that the Princess of Selgina was compelled to become a Ninja secret agent after the whole Possession thing.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla Camp wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:It could be done, but probably they'll want something original for the plot.

Hmm - I came to wondering in some of the Toho Kaiju films - well with Mosura and well to an extent Godzilla or rather Goji Junior - humans to an extent can 'communicate' with Kaiju and well Mosura has her twin priestesses speaking on her behalf at times and well Miki Saegusa can 'telepathically' link up with Goji Junior bordering on emotional attachment ... BUT um would you reckon perhaps in the 2018 film some character might be a psychic like Miki Saegusa somewhat and 'communicate' with the Kaiju of the film? Least of which Mosura? I mean well Gamera - the Heisei Gamera did have human hosts at times ...

It's possible, but the 2014 film showed Godzilla and such creatures to be primordial animals, and Godzilla ignored humans. Even when being shot at. They may keep that theme going.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

This thread is pretty far off topic, so I'll try to tie it back...

In the 2014 film, I didn't perceive Godzilla as ignoring humans at all; he seemed at times to be frustrated, annoyed, and maybe even a little saddened that they were shooting at him and potentially endangering their own lives when he did not see them as enemies; and he seemed to seek some level of basic understanding with Ford at the end.

In some ways, I could imagine G 2014 taking a similar attitude towards humans as the one expressed by Godzilla and Rodan in GTTHM: "We really wish they'd leave us alone, okay?"
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

eabaker wrote:This thread is pretty far off topic, so I'll try to tie it back...

In the 2014 film, I didn't perceive Godzilla as ignoring humans at all; he seemed at times to be frustrated, annoyed, and maybe even a little saddened that they were shooting at him and potentially endangering their own lives when he did not see them as enemies; and he seemed to seek some level of basic understanding with Ford at the end.
I think you're looking a little too much into it. It's been stated by the folks who worked on this film that Godzilla perceives people as "ants" pretty much, he doesn't care about them at all, only the MUTO. He's getting shot at during the Honolulu scene, yet he didn't even notice it.
He wasn't "saddened" by them firing at him during the bridge scene, although he was very annoyed by it, and they did manage to hurt him, judging by his "yelps" for lack of a better word.
If there was ANY connection with Ford, it was completely on Ford's part, he seemed to have some sort of interest in Godzilla (as seen when he lands in San Francisco and he see's Godzilla's shadow and decides to run towards it to get a look at him)
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:This thread is pretty far off topic, so I'll try to tie it back...

I think you're looking a little too much into it. It's been stated by the folks who worked on this film that Godzilla perceives people as "ants" pretty much, he doesn't care about them at all, only the MUTO. He's getting shot at during the Honolulu scene, yet he didn't even notice it. He wasn't "saddened" by them firing at him during the bridge scene, although he was annoyed by it.
If there was ANY connection with Ford, it was completely on Ford's part, he seemed to have some sort of interest in Godzilla (as seen when he lands in San Francisco and he see's Godzilla's shadow and decides to run towards it to get a loo at him)
The author dies when the audience is born. Even in this age of prominent paratextual elements, statements made by the people who made the movie are not actually part of the movie, and thus should not be given any real weight in analyzing the text itself. An interpretation that can be supported by onscreen evidence is a valid interpretation, even if it is unequivocally at odds with authorial intent.

Besides, their intentions on the first movie need not in any way define what they might choose to do in a second movie, so long as they do not outright contradict the first movie.

Actually, I wish we could return to an age when it was okay to contradict the earlier work in service of the later, but home video and organized fandom have largely decimated that option in mainstream cinema.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

eabaker wrote:statements made by the people who made the movie are not actually part of the movie
I kinda think they are, especially since it was said in one of the special features found on the bluray.
When they made it a point and come out and specifically say he didn't have any interest in humans, I feel like it's kind of proof.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:statements made by the people who made the movie are not actually part of the movie
I kinda think they are, especially since it was said in one of the special features found on the bluray.
When they made it a point and come out and specifically say he didn't have any interest in humans, I feel like it's kind of proof.
But the audience, as a whole, certainly can't be expected to be aware of those statements. Even if they accompany the movie in one of its releases (though, importantly, not the theatrical release), they are still extra-textual.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that we are several decades into a process of paratextual elements gaining increasing prominence in the storytelling process, and increasingly matters of marketing are coming to have a valid role in the interpretation of texts, as are variations across releases/platforms. But, at this point, we are still in an era where the finished work is received by the majority of its audience as self-contained, and I'm not sure that critical theory needs to absolutely put aside the death of the author ethos just yet.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Edit: nvm
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I've noticed that some of the stock music added to the American version is from The Black Scorpion (1957), specifically when Rodan picks Godzilla up to drop him on the power lines.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I've noticed that some of the stock music added to the American version is from The Black Scorpion (1957), specifically when Rodan picks Godzilla up to drop him on the power lines.
Where does the cue play in The Black Scorpion?

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Space Hunter M wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I've noticed that some of the stock music added to the American version is from The Black Scorpion (1957), specifically when Rodan picks Godzilla up to drop him on the power lines.
Where does the cue play in The Black Scorpion?
I'm not sure yet. I have not seen the movie in a while, but I know the music is is there somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's either during the bridge attack scene, or the train scene.
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just realized this film works really nice as a sequel to Godzilla 1954, Rodan, and Mothra 1961 or Godzilla vs Mothra 1965. It's cool how it's not really a Godzilla film but a big crossover film and kind of started the TOHO multiverse.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I just realized this film works really nice as a sequel to Godzilla 1954, Rodan, and Mothra 1961 or Godzilla vs Mothra 1965. It's cool how it's not really a Godzilla film but a big crossover film and kind of started the TOHO multiverse.
This film truly is The Avengers of the Godzilla series.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I just realized this film works really nice as a sequel to Godzilla 1954, Rodan, and Mothra 1961 or Godzilla vs Mothra 1965. It's cool how it's not really a Godzilla film but a big crossover film and kind of started the TOHO multiverse.
Never thought of it that way... surprisingly, I like the movie even more now just for that cool little fact.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It did bring the big three together and establish them as allies for the first time.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mechagigan wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Never thought of it that way... surprisingly, I like the movie even more now just for that cool little fact.
Destroy all monsters was the Avengers, this was Iron Man II or Civil War.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image