Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1

Post by Pkmatrix »

^ I agree, it's part of the reason I like this movie so much. MZ may be more polished overall, but GTTHM does a better job weaving together it's plotlines into a cohesive whole.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

As others have mentioned, it seems lately like any discussion of GTTHM seems to involve comparing it to GvsMonster Zero, usually as a means to tear this film down somewhat, which I honestly don't get it at all :?: I rarely see the same phenomenon taking place between any other back to back G films quite as often as I see it in regards to these two particular films.

As for me personally, I *love* both films....but in the end, GTTHM wins out for me for a wide variety of factors (which I wrote here a few years ago along with a lot of cool behind the scenes photos of the film on pages 6-7 of this discussion, starting here on page 6: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=318&start=100 ), but they're two very different films which have their own unique quirks and charms, and both were made during one of the greatest periods of the daikaiju/tokusatsu genre. Additionally, I think these two films along with MothravsG make for one hell of a trilogy (In this case, the Mothra/KG/Rodan trilogy)...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think the comparisons stem from the fact that Monster Zero is one of the few Godzilla films which is a direct sequel (to Ghidorah, of course, in this case). People compare originals* to sequels all the time. It's not that they're necessarily trying to put down one of the two films; it's just that the two are so connected, people can't help discussing one without mentioning the other.

*Granted, Ghidorah is a sequel, too; and a direct one to Mothra vs. Godzilla. I don't see many people comparing and contrasting there...

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I actually think this movie is superior to Astro Monster. I like AM, but it makes a better science fiction movie than a Kaiju movie. This movie is a perfect mix of spy thriller and Kaiju. The human characters are some of the best in the entire franchise and it gives us one of Godzilla's greatest adversaries. The only negatives to the movie really stem from its rushed production because you can see nearly every wire and the discussion monster scene is very hokey.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The two films are pretty evenly matched, for me. Ghidorah does better in the actual monster department, with two major battles and the ever-awesome 'monster conversation' scene, though MZ certainly has its moments there. I love the novelty of Godzilla and Rodan fighting Ghidorah on another planet, especially. But (Princess Salno aside) I prefer the human/alien characters and story of MZ. It combines 'alien invasion movie' and 'kaiju movie' better than any of the others, I think.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

JAGzilla wrote:It combines 'alien invasion movie' and 'kaiju movie' better than any of the others, I think.
The monsters could have used a little more screen time. But I agree with you, Monster Zero is probably the best alien invasion film in the Godzilla franchise. The invasion angle was more subtle in Ghidorah (and Hedorah).

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Yeah, Godzilla is only on screen for 4 minutes and 56 seconds in Astro Monster, which is 17% of the movie. Yet, people complain about the amount of screen time Godzilla had in the 2014 movie even though he was in it for like 21%.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Ghidorah has more in common with Mothra vs. Godzilla to me, and Astro-Monster goes more with DAM.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

My problem with Invasion of Astro-Monster is that it treats the monsters as plot devices which I'm usually not a fan of, whereas in Ghidorah they have more personality and free reign to act however they please which is more entertaining to me.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The kaiju in GthM do emote more, such as Rodan laughing when Godzilla gets silked. I think the villian is good, too. He's no Controler, but his killer is both intelligent and cold.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Now that's a really fair point about the monsters being plot devices in Monster Zero where they have personalities in Ghidorah. I think I sort of backlashed a little too strong at the amount of comedy. I re-watched it over vaction and while I like Monster Zero more I think I've appreciated Three Headed Monster the most in my whole life.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

dancing on the moon and getting depressed when the humans ditched them isn't emoting enough?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Those I loved, well, maybe the depressed part more than the dancing part.

I kind of like how in the dub Glenn is a little more hardnosed about leaving Godzilla and Rodan behind. "Hey don't feel too bad for them they've given us enough trouble!" In the Japanese version he seems sympathetic too.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Those I loved, well, maybe the depressed part more than the dancing part.

I kind of like how in the dub Glenn is a little more hardnosed about leaving Godzilla and Rodan behind. "Hey don't feel too bad for them they've given us enough trouble!" In the Japanese version he seems sympathetic too.
yea, this film treats them a bit less seriously though. the terrible language thing, and giving them a full spectrum of emotions, and even some diplomacy feels weird.

now when they see Mothra going out to fight and become galvanized to work together, THAT is a pretty serious emotional moment. before that though it feels gimmicky to me. some people might say that about the dancing bit as well, but overall the MZ film seems to treat everything with more sincerity. it felt more real.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

This one is definitely one of the better Showa films, and this was when Ghidorah was still doing stuff, and not sitting around being a punching bag, as mentioned earler. I wish the Godzilla head remained the same from MvG, as they were made the same year... And Rodan... Hit the booze hard mourning over the loss of the other Rodan/parents and decided to take it out on Godzilla. The human element is good here, but there are other Showa films that have better acting, though this one isn't too far behind the others
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

Shadowplay wrote:Ah, my first Godzilla film. For obvious reasons, I'm very fond of GTTHM, but even as I re-watched it recently I came to appreciate it as one of the better Godzilla films. Its human plot is worlds better than certain other kaiju movies (I'm looking at you, entire Hesei series), and the monster action is great. To be fair, there is more camp than I prefer.
Same with me - the moment I saw Godzilla 1964 at the opening credits where he breathed his Atomic Ray Beam - I knew I would enjoy the film :) And so I did - come to think of it the film was a 'first' for many in the Godzilla franchise being where Godzilla 1964 would be the first incarnation of Godzilla to be an 'anti-hero' and gradually a 'good guy' and how he in the suit - other than a new head design would be the first Godzilla suit to have the distinction being used in two films in the same year 1964 :)

Plus amusing feats at times - where Godzilla 1964 gets 'beaked' by Rodan 1964 and where he and Rodan 1964 try to troll one another fighting until Mosura 1964 intervenes or where Godzilla 1964 runs and 'trips' or where King Ghidorah 1964 'zapped' him on his ass ...

And yes King Ghidorah 1964 - always nice :) Though I wonder still if they'll make him embrace his original roots in 1964 in 2018 OR they'll have traces of GMK ...

On a side note haha - I'm expecting a Microman Godzilla and King Ghidorah 1964 set to arrive in soon :) probably slightly after the Easter Break :)

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

A great film, the first ever to feature a kaiju brawl, and it's a good one :huge:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

KaijuFiend wrote:A great film, the first ever to feature a kaiju brawl, and it's a good one :huge:
And we might be seeing a reboot in 2018!!!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Indeed. I can't wait, but have to for a few years.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
KaijuFiend wrote:A great film, the first ever to feature a kaiju brawl, and it's a good one :huge:
And we might be seeing a reboot in 2018!!!
edgaguirus wrote:Indeed. I can't wait, but have to for a few years.
Hopefully ... it won't be like GMK eh? I mean well - King Ghidorah 2001 was a good guy and an Ancient Guardian Monster of Japan rather than the 3 headed Space Cosmic Horror he usually is ...