Talkback: Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Re: Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965)

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

Captain Aktion wrote:^That's either a boot with fan-subs (or dub-subs) or a Japanese VHS without subtitles or dubbing.
Well, okay, I assumed it was the version with the original ending because it has the original name whereas the DVD bears the FCTW title.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

This is one of my favorite kaiju movies ever. The plot was simple but engaging, as were the characters. Baragon was actually a threat instead of a cameo or a punching bag, like he was in other films. My only big complaint would be how they handled the Frankenstein monster, which I found to be kind of silly. It's kind of hard to take a giant Frankenstein seriously.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Chris55 wrote:I have a special piece of memorabilia related to this movie which I'm posting on TK next year
Oh, you.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

WotG stands well on it's own merits, but if I'd known back then that it was a f/u to FctW, & that the Gargantuas were actually created from the Frankenstein Monster, that would've explained A LOT. Esp the odd shape of their heads, which I could never fathom until I learned of the connection to FctW.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Fun kaiju film but the ending with the octopus is random and out of place the earthquake ending is much better.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Both endings are pretty random, if you ask me (the earthquake ending slightly less so).

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

I feel like I already said this but my theory on the earthquake ending is it was because of Baragon tunneling through the ground, enough tunnels and the ground can just collapse.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Gamera vs Rodan wrote:Just watched this except it was called Frankenstein Conquers the World when I watched it. It was good stuff. I'm not the biggest fan of Frankenstein as a monster since he's a little too human for me, but the film worked really well on many levels despite my preferences lying elsewhere.
Frankenstein will always be a Universal Monster to me, and I've always had an issue trying to swallow the Frankenstein aspect in this film and in War of the Gargantuas. I like both these films but I wish Toho would of came up with their own monster.

I enjoy the Toho Kong too, but its not really Kong in my eyes. Its like making Spiderman or Batman Japanese - lol

Not a fan of Americanizing Godzilla either, but I wish nothing but the best for this new film.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Killswitch wrote: Frankenstein will always be a Universal Monster to me, and I've always had an issue trying to swallow the Frankenstein aspect in this film and in War of the Gargantuas. I like both these films but I wish Toho would of came up with their own monster.
To be fair, Frankenstein wasn't created by Universal either and bears little actual resemblance in motive or character to the original. Basically, Toho did the same as Universal and DID come up with their own monster; the Franky here has nothing much in common with the Franky there.

And as a series of films, Hammer did Frankenstein better than Universal (beyond the transcendent Bride).

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Actually going to have to agree with all of the above.

Toho's take on the character may seem outlandish to some, but I liked their approach. I personally thought it was a great way to integrate the giant monster aspect into the Frankenstein legend, as jarring as it may be to see a 'giant' man in make-up battling a dinosaur.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tek
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tek »

I used to love this film. Still like it a lot, but I think I enjoyed it most back in the late '90s when I first came across it. I love Baragon, and love the whole film's creepiness factor. A lot of dark nighttime rural Japan scenes... some great smaller characters (like the man with the dog chain who explains to Kumi Mizuno that a small boy has been eating dogs).

Great film to watch during a thunderstorm. And pretty solid fight between Franky and Baragon.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I remember liking the movie. I remember years ago stumbled upon a TV listing on AMC for 5AM so I set and alarm for it and woke up to watch it.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

DocVape
Yojimbo

Post by DocVape »

never knew this movie existed until now
just watched the trailer on youtube
first thing I notice
"hey thats Glenn from Monster Zero"

I always wondered where Baragon came from.....obviously my Kaiju knowledge is lacking outside of the Godzilla films

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Get on it, it's great. One of the best Toho tokusatsu films period.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Honestly, I never heard much about this one. I mean, I know about it, but I don't what it's about. Is it a continuation of the Mary Shelley novel or something?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Its a good film indeed. In Germany, Frankenstein's place of origin, all of the showa Godzilla films had plots of Dr. Frankenstein sending monsters to destroy Earth but Godzilla foils his plan everytime. Those films I'm looking for.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

ILL GREEN wrote:Its a good film indeed. In Germany, Frankenstein's place of origin, all of the showa Godzilla films had plots of Dr. Frankenstein sending monsters to destroy Earth but Godzilla foils his plan everytime. Those films I'm looking for.
Wow. But, how did Frankenstein get so big, though? Wasn't he 8 feet tall in the novel?
Shadow Arena Records:

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Post by pta917 »

I think it was radition.
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

pta917 wrote:I think it was radition.
Radiation. #1 cause for monsters.
Shadow Arena Records:

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Post by pta917 »

Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!