Gojira or Mothra vs Godzilla? Your favorite.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which is your favorite?

Godzilla
72%
Mothra vs Godzilla
28%

Total votes: 32

Voyager
Keizer

Gojira or Mothra vs Godzilla? Your favorite.

Post by Voyager »

Both are considered the best in the franchise and are Honda’s best Godzilla works. Which of them is your favourite, not necessarily best, Since we all know who’d stomp.

I picked Mothra vs Godzilla because it’s my favourite G-Film and film of all time.
For Emperor and Empire!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gojira or Mothra vs Godzilla? Your favorite.

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Gojira because, well, duh. It has the best plot and characters, in my opinion.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's a no contest. You're comparing an original iconic film to a sequel. The sequel is great, but come on, this is the film that made Godzilla a city stomping threat to begin with.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

_JNavs_ wrote:It's a no contest. You're comparing an original iconic film to a sequel. The sequel is great, but come on, this is the film that made Godzilla a city stomping threat to begin with.
Well, I was comparing which one was your favourite of the two, not necessarily best.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why is Mothra Vs Godzilla considered the second best?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote:Why is Mothra Vs Godzilla considered the second best?
Of the Showa Series? Because it’s such a masterpiece with a beautiful story, great effects, great acting great characters and plot, great music and much more!

Second best of the franchise? That’s debatable as GMK is rivalling it for that spot.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra vs Godzilla easily for me. Gojira maybe constructed better but Mothra vs Godzilla I feel is the best representative of the Godzilla franchise as a whole.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G54. I think MvG, while good, is vastly overrated.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I love them both to death, but Gojira is my favorite of the series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The handling of Dr. Serizawa, his moral dilemma, and his sacrifice alone are enough to make the original my absolute favorite of the franchise. The fact that the movie is exceptional in nearly every other respect is just extra credit. This was one of the movies that helped me really understand allegory as a child.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

These are my two favorite Godzilla films. But Gojira gets my vote.
Last edited by onerichman on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Its a battle of the two best Showa films...

But I gotta go with Gojira. Its one of my all time favorite films. The themes, tone, atmosphere, special effects techniques (which were revolutionary at the time) and how the moral dilemmas are presented all combines to make one of my all time favorite films.

Mothra Vs. Godzilla is fantastic for a myriad of reasons, but this is a case where you can't beat the original.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Gojira is the superior film but it’s deeply depressing and I have to be in the right mood to watch it. Mothra vs Godzilla is my most watched film in the series, I can put it on at any time. Seen it twice already this year. MvG is one of my top five favorite Godzilla films (presently #4), while the original barely makes the top ten.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Gojira, as good as Mothra vs Godzilla is it can't quite topple the original from it's lofty perch. In addition to being the better film I also enjoy Gojira on a personal level more as well.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The is Godzilla, and then there is the rest of the Showa era....and even if Mothra vs Godzilla is near or at the top of the other 14 entries, it is still below the original.

At the end of the day, it is about tone. Movies don't ALL need to be tonally serious, but everyone has a preference. The original strikes a really good tone even if it inherently dealing with something wild like a giant monster.

With Mothra vs Godzilla, you've got magic tiny fairies on top of all of the giant monster business. It impacts the tonal execution.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chrispy_G wrote:With Mothra vs Godzilla, you've got magic tiny fairies on top of all of the giant monster business. It impacts the tonal execution.
Respectfully disagree: there's nothing about Godzilla in that film that precludes the existence of mythical/magical beings, and I think that aspect is implemented in such a way that fantasy and science fiction can coexist in the same world.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

The original by far.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What do you people think of people who dislike Mothra and to an extent, this film? I have come across people with opinions like that.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

LegendZilla wrote:What do you people think of people who dislike Mothra and to an extent, this film? I have come across people with opinions like that.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's hard to be a Godzilla fan and not a Mothra fan. She shows up in some capacity in at least a third of the films in the series and is a huge part of the mythos. I must admit, I have little patience for people who hate Mothra on the grounds that "a monster butterfly is stoopid" or "those fairy chicks are annoying".

As to people who dislike Mothra vs. Godzilla, I have yet to hear a halfway decent reason why. The film certainly isn't flawless and I think an argument can be made that it's overrated, but I think there are too many positives to justify writing this film off completely. In my opinion, this is the quintessential Godzilla film, even more so than the original. It has all of the classic Showa crew (Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube, Sekizawa, editor Ryohei Fujii), many of the most recognizable actors from the series (Akira Takarada, Kenji Sahara, Jun Tazaki, Hiroshi Koizumi, Yuriko Hoshi), a Godzilla design that was imitated by many of the successive Showa suits, a narrative formula that set the standard for many of the Showa films to follow and a tone that was somewhere between light and dark.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:What do you people think of people who dislike Mothra and to an extent, this film? I have come across people with opinions like that.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's hard to be a Godzilla fan and not a Mothra fan. She shows up in some capacity in at least a third of the films in the series and is a huge part of the mythos. I must admit, I have little patience for people who hate Mothra on the grounds that "a monster butterfly is stoopid" or "those fairy chicks are annoying".

As to people who dislike Mothra vs. Godzilla, I have yet to hear a halfway decent reason why. The film certainly isn't flawless and I think an argument can be made that it's overrated, but I think there are too many positives to justify writing this film off completely. In my opinion, this is the quintessential Godzilla film, even more so than the original. It has all of the classic Showa crew (Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube, Sekizawa, editor Ryohei Fujii), many of the most recognizable actors from the series (Akira Takarada, Kenji Sahara, Jun Tazaki, Hiroshi Koizumi, Yuriko Hoshi), a Godzilla design that was imitated by many of the successive Showa suits, a narrative formula that set the standard for many of the Showa films to follow and a tone that was somewhere between light and dark.
Ghidorah is the quintessential. It has Mothra, Ghidorah and Godzilla as a hero and villian.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image