Fort Graveyard (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Fort Graveyard (1965)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Quite possibly the greatest anti-war film I've ever seen, but it's virtually unknown in the US, and even pretty obscure in Japan. I've really been getting into the works of Kihachi Okamoto this past year or so, and this might honestly be my favorite film of his (Along with Blue Christmas). Toshiro Mifune plays a sergeant (Discharged for striking at a superior officer over an executed man he shows intense interest in) assigned by Tatsuya Nakadai to lead a group of newly-recruited band geeks along with other problematic soldiers (Makoto Sato, Yunosuke Ito and Hideyo Amamoto) on a suicide mission to retake a fort during the last days of the war in Manchuria. A great anti-war film that really showcases the wasting of precious young lives pointless warfare brings. Some genuinely lovable characters and funny scenes that make its ending all the more impactful. The film can be considered somewhat of a "redo" of Okamoto's earlier Desperado Outpost (And indeed, Fort Graveyard is sometimes listed as being apart of the "Desperado" series), but this film blows that still pretty decent one out of the water. Highly recommended.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....