Monster Discussion #31: Hedorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Discussion #31: Hedorah (Showa)

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

hedorah looks too much like a walking pile of crap for my tastes. i personally prefer diarreah XD. just kidding :(

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

gojimantis wrote:
Hotrod93 wrote:
gojimantis wrote:If Hedorah's final form is immune to Godzilla's atomic ray, how is it possible for him to become dehydrated by the JSDF?
Between the whole "being alien", the mixed amounts of chemicals in his body, the garbage, the sludge, and the etc. Hedorah's body could take it with no problem. G vs H Godzilla's beam IMO wasnt the strongest beam of the Godzilla line.

Have you ever seen what electric can do to a human body after enough of it is gone through it? It pretty much burns it so its going to dehydrated Hedorah.
that makes sense, but atomic energy and electricity both generate heat
I would assume that an "atomic heat ray" would have done more damage, a lot more heat evaporates moisture ( whatever that may be in hedorah) so it would have to have more of an effect on him than it seems to in the movie.
Even if they "ray" generated heat to dehydrated a part of Hedorah's body the rest of if body would cover it back up moisting it again so pretty much the ray would be pointless to due Hedorah being able to to keep itself moist cause of all the sludge and etc on his body. The reason the panels did so well was to due the fact of the largeness and the full body assult it had on Hedorah's body instead of Godzilla's single spotted ray.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Living Corpse wrote:That and electrcity goes through the whole body where as Godzilla's ray only hits one spot. Plus electrcity can be very hot, like lighting can be hotter then the surface of the sun.
Pretty much summed it up lol.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Also remember that current put through water can cause electrolysis. The water molecules are seperated into seperate gases, and this destroys the water molecule. Hedorah needed the water to survive, and destroying the water molecules took away the very thing it needed most.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mogu
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mogu »

edgaguirus wrote:With pollution and global warming a big issue, Hedorah is the perfect symbol. He's dangerous, nearly unstoppable, and gave Godzilla a hard fight. Hedorah's film doesn't rate high with me, but the creative smog monster is a winner.
Yes he is!
Just a returning member

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

As people have said before, Hedorah is a powerhouse. It took so much for him to actually die...think about it! Without those electric current tower things (thank you, vocab), Godzilla wouldn't have stood a chance against Hedorah.

One thing that really 'grinds me gears' in GFW is that Hedorah is killed (at least we can assume that) by Godzilla's atomic ray, but in 1971, Godzilla's ray didn't do jack squat on Hedorah.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I think Hedorah's design is simple and effective, and the character has social relevance to it, so it makes the threat of it seem more real and imposing. The film's style is fun and experimental, but still retains moments of eerieness to it related to Hedorah. And Hedorah is personally my favorite cameo in Final Wars...that scene was way too short.
'And yet another one?'

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Hedorah should have just been axed from GFW. It's too bad, because he really deserves better.

King Kong
GPN Volunteer

Post by King Kong »

King Caesar wrote: One thing that really 'grinds me gears' in GFW is that Hedorah is killed (at least we can assume that) by Godzilla's atomic ray, but in 1971, Godzilla's ray didn't do jack squat on Hedorah.
Yeah, Godzilla simply using his atomic ray and taking out Hedorah in GFW just came across as a extremely rushed way of including the character, but keeping Hedorah's screentime to an absolute minimum.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Didn't he actually have more screen time in Final Wars? Or was the footage in the credits just footage for the credits and nothing else?

Anyway, a great monster. Weird movie, but one of Godzilla's most dangerous foes. I actually found the concept of Hedorah almost as interesting as Biollante; a not-so-ridiculous origin story, the different forms and what-not, and his means of sustenance (no, I'm not talking about him puffing on the smokestacks).
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

therealmccoy wrote:Didn't he actually have more screen time in Final Wars? Or was the footage in the credits just footage for the credits and nothing else?
I believe that the credit footage is the only other footage of him in all of FW. It's a real shame too; I loved his design in that. The only monsters that were letdowns was Piggly Wiggly Anguiras and Kumonga, who must've shed all his pricklies between Showa and FW.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

therealmccoy wrote:Didn't he actually have more screen time in Final Wars? Or was the footage in the credits just footage for the credits and nothing else?
It probably was supposed to be in the film, and was just cut out for some reason. It's too bad. :|

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Rody wrote:
It probably was supposed to be in the film, and was just cut out for some reason. It's too bad. :|
Yeah; it was kind of hard to stomach seeing one of Godzilla's most dangerous opponents just blasted to oblivion in a split second. An opponent that was supposed to be immune to almost all forms of weaponry, including Godzilla's ray.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

You know, I think I remember reading somewhere that Kitamura had apologized for Hedorah's minor screen time; something about "not enough room in the film," or something like that.

That credit footage was probably supposed to be in the actual film, but had to be cut for time reasons.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Hedorah is pretty fucking cool. I always liked him.

I would love to see Hedorah in a new movie (his 3 seconds in Final Wars don't count) where just everything he touches melts down or disintegrates. Making him a SERIOUSLY dangerous foe against Godzilla.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Was Hedorah alien or mutant?
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

:eh:

what :?: EXPLAIN :?

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Oh, ok I get it, thanks

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

only toho could make a monster out of shit...
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ ...and actually make it work. I'm not generally a big fan of sludge/blob/whatever monsters, but Hedorah is an exception. His final form is one of my favorite suits in the series. Very creepy, very alien. Those big, soulless eyes, the ragged, dripping 'skin', the weird, gurgling roar... it all combines into a really sinister, memorable villain design. The flying form and its mass-murdering acid mist worked very well, too.

I haven't seen his movie in years, unfortunately. I'll need to get the DVD at some point.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio