Monster Discussion #31: Hedorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Is hedorah creepy or what?

Post by gojizilla97 »

I'm just saying, he looks like a black death blob. His eyes also creep me out. :shock:
Bond. James Bond.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Is hedorah creepy or what?

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Good for you.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojizilla97 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Good for you.
Hedorah is not as creepy as moguera showa though (sarcasm). But I do not find hedorah that creepy :huge:
Last edited by gojizilla97 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bond. James Bond.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

gojizilla97 wrote:His eyes also creep me out.
"Hedorah's eyes were modeled on female genitalia. I drew the kind of crude picture you find on the walls of a public toilet and handed it to the modeling staff. I said, 'This is what I want Hedorah's eyes to look like.' [laughs] Well, come on, vaginas are scary!" - Yoshimitsu Banno, quoted in Patrick Macias's Tokyoscope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

You're kidding... :freak: That's hilarious and freaky!

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojizilla97 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Probably cause he is a black death blob. That and I'm sure this topic has been done before? Could be wrong. Anyways, when I was little he scared me. Now I think he's cool.
I know he is one, but I think hes pretty.....well, odd.
Bond. James Bond.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

gojizilla97 wrote:I'm just saying, he looks like a black death blob. His eyes also creep me out. :shock:

you should make more threads.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ I think you meant "shouldn't".

#BotM

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Vaginas are scary........?

Lol anywho he is a little scary because he acts abnormally
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Vaginas are scary........?
Do a little psych reading. Yeah, a lot of (patriarchal) societies associate vaginas with all sorts of unheimlich horrors. For a more popular cinematic example, I point to Alien.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojizilla97 »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ I think you meant "shouldn't".
Why not? :cry:
Bond. James Bond.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:Vaginas are scary........?
Do a little psych reading. Yeah, a lot of (patriarchal) societies associate vaginas with all sorts of unheimlich horrors. For a more popular cinematic example, I point to Alien.
Well I for one like my fair share of vagina every now and then, it calms the nerves right down :lol:. Any who back on topic.

#BotM

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Discussion #31: Hedorah (Showa)

Post by Missingno. »

Not sure what was going on in the posts above... :-?

Anyway, another necrobump.

I think this monster has more potential than what we saw (though what is seen is great as it stands) due to the typical budget of the later Showa Godzilla entries. Still infinitely better than the cameo in GFW.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The more I think about it, it's probably one of my most favorite monsters in the franchise, IDK I guess it's the design and shape(s) of Hedorah that I find visually appeeeealling to me, and those eyes are so memorable, they stand out and just stare at you, it's so-alien like and that lil feat stands out, plus he's one deadly fucker, and from the looks of it, Godzilla wasn't even close to "defeating" it, so yeah, badass enemy.
Bummer I don't have a figure of it yet, I skipped out on the BC Hedorah, which I kinda regret now :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

One of the most peculiar monsters in the series. Wierd. Creepy. Disgusting (Literally) and Evil. Pretty interesting ideas going on with Hedorah at that too. A monster that is composed of trash and uses it...? Can't say that's unoriginal much back then.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

I always liked Hedorah because of how scary it is. Not the "giant animal that will stomp you to the ground" scary, but actually unsettling and bonechilling. The absence of any facial expression is the main factor. Hedorah just doesn't resemble anything alive, it's just a giant walking/flying pile of corrosive sludge staring at you with those creepy unblinking eyes. No other kaiju from Godzilla franchise comes even remotely close to the amount of scare factor Hedorah has.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Israha wrote:I always liked Hedorah because of how scary it is. Not the "giant animal that will stomp you to the ground" scary, but actually unsettling and bonechilling. The absence of any facial expression is the main factor. Hedorah just doesn't resemble anything alive, it's just a giant walking/flying pile of corrosive sludge staring at you with those creepy unblinking eyes. No other kaiju from Godzilla franchise comes even remotely close to the amount of scare factor Hedorah has.
Naw he blinked
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ShinSludge71
Samurai

Post by ShinSludge71 »

*Bump*

I don't know about you guys, but the idea of an alien able to incorporate sludge and all sorts of nasty stuff really takes the cake. Hes just as creative as those monsters from the Ultraman Ace show. As a kaiju, he is always the one to pop up on a favorites list to me, and honestly may be on #1.
ILL GREEN wrote:There's money to be made with a Hedorah bong.

XenoRaptor1314
Young Farmer

Post by XenoRaptor1314 »

Hedorah probably is one of Godzilla's GREATEST foes and should have more then one movie(FW not counting), all they have to do is put him in a another movie, But then they would put mechagodzilla or destoryah or something before him....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Hedorah is a powerful foe, and sadly, always relavant to our society. The environment is an ever present concern, and Hedorah is a ready made comment on our pollution. He's also one of the deadliest kaiju ever created by Toho. Hedorah's a true threat to man and other monsters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.