King Kong vs. Godzilla - Japanese Version Restoration Thread

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Monsterzero 1965
Monarch Researcher

Re: King Kong vs. Godzilla - Japanese Version Restoration Th

Post by Monsterzero 1965 »

miguelnuva wrote:I missed the showing what's diffrent from the beck version?
Here's a link: http://www.historyvortex.org/GodzillaAmerica3.html

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

Tyler wrote:We could send them a ton of letters Hogwarts style.
Well cause no once a witch or wizard here maybe you should go Shawshank Redemption style.

And probably not the right thread to ask this in but, is this dvd version of King kong vs Godzilla contain the orignal Japanese version?????
The one they were selling in a double pack.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

^That only contains the American cut.

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

The Dark Uniter wrote:^That only contains the American cut.
thought so, thanks.
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

A... A wot? (Stole yer line, StonedHope :P )
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

Tyler wrote:
StonedHope wrote:Well cause no once a witch or wizard here maybe you should go Shawshank Redemption style.
Yer a wizard, StonedHope.
yeah well, your Saul Tigh, ty....dot dot dot..ler.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Great restoration work! Although, I seem to have noticed that the stereo audio channels have been flipped in some parts, was it always like that?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^I noticed that. The theatrical 4-track stereo mix seemed to be that way on the source (a bootleg of the R2). I toyed with the idea of "correcting" it, but instead left it alone on the off chance that it had always been that way. When I update the restoration at some point, I will find out if the stereo was flipped like that and include the rare mono mix as an alternate audio option.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Also, I just noticed the shot of the soldiers retreating from the rock slide is not in my older copy for some reason. Also, it's no big deal, but I noticed that the last few seconds of the end title were cut off, could you fix that in your next update?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The program I used to create the .avi always cuts off the last couple seconds, I'll see if I can find a better program for that next time. The missing seconds are present on the original DVD of the restoration.
Last edited by Tamura on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I see. You could try adding a few moments of blank space, that might work.

Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Post by Proofpoochie »

I watched this when you streamed it. Amazing work!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Tamura wrote:I will find out if the stereo was flipped like that and include the rare mono mix as an alternate audio option.
I just watched it again recently and through simple logic deduced that the stereo channels have indeed been flipped for the entire film. For the time being, wearing my headphones backwards fixes this relatively simple problem. When you are done with the next update, I'd certainly love to hear what the full mono mix sounds like.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The entire film? Huh.

I put my headphones on backwards like you did and some parts seemed flipped that way, too (like the "yes sir" line in the first shot inside the Seahawk that is supposed to come out of the left speaker).

Once again, the source I used was flipped like this. I didn't screw around with it myself. That would be the opposite of restoration in the unlikely event that the stereo mix always sounded flipped.

The main difference between the mono and 4-track stereo mixes should be that the mono mix utilizes the unique mono recording of Ifukube's soundtrack, which sometimes sounds completely different. For one, the vocals during the native chants are less buried under the music, plus it seems that different instruments are used for some tracks.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Maybe different elements of the stereo soundtrack were flipped? For instance: In the first battle sequence, Kong's roar comes from the left (proper) side of the screen, yet the helicopter sound effects do not. When Godzilla is seen advancing from the right (proper) side of the screen, the helicopter sounds are perfectly fine. When Godzilla blows up the helicopter, the heat-ray sound effects are coming from the left (wrong) side of the screen. Maybe this "problem" indeed has always been Toho's fault from the start?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I do notice that most of the time the sound effects come out of the left speaker and will occasionally spread out, while the music comes out of all speakers (except for BGM like the song on the radio, though the library cue that plays during the expedition farewell party is spread out to all speakers from its original mono) and the dialog track seems like it was intended to shift to the left, right or center, depending on the actor's placement in the frame, kind of like Perspecta although this is definitely true stereo. I suppose Toho made a mono sound effects track and had a hard time working it into a stereo track.

The shifting around of the dialog track definitely seems intentional, but it doesn't make sense that it's sometimes flipped. The odd sound effects placement was surely always there, but the occasionally flipped dialog track must be where somebody at Toho Video screwed up.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

I really like your restoration work. It looked really good on my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. I downloaded the DVD-R version and played it on XBMC through my HTPC. My only complaint was that chapter selection doesn't work. Was that not implemented into the restoration?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I didn't feel like making chapter stops, lol. Or a menu for that matter. The DVD was made ADV DESTROY ALL MONSTERS style, only it looks really good.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I don't mind the lack of menus, but chapters are pretty important if you're playing it through a disc - otherwise your disc gets scratched from all the fast forwarding and rewinding.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

Tamura wrote:I didn't feel like making chapter stops, lol. Or a menu for that matter. The DVD was made ADV DESTROY ALL MONSTERS style, only it looks really good.

Well that is just fine. I don't care for menus anyways since I play stuff in XBMC, so I go through enough menus as it is.

Speaking of ADV they really did suck. Their Gamera DVDs and DAM looked so horrible. TV broadcasts of those movies looked better.