Talkback: The Human Vapor (1960)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Talkback: The Human Vapor (1960)

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Couldn't find an earlier thread, apologies if there's one already.

Anyways, let's discuss The Human Vapor. I thought it was brilliant, truly one of Honda's best science fiction films. His skills as a director are really put to the test, and boy does he deliver. The blocking and editing is masterful all throughout, and the ending is truly spectacular. I don't wanna spoil it, but it's drawn out perfectly. Kimura and Honda's writing is on point, and the relationship between the titular character and a famous dancer is brilliantly unraveled. Speaking of the human vapor, Yoshio Tsuchiya is absolutely devilish in this role. It's criminal that it hasn't gotten an English subtitled release in the west, it's a really fantastic crime thriller/drama. I really encourage everyone to try to watch it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: The Human Vapor (1960)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Since when do you apologize :P

I've been meaning to track this down, I've seen some decent prices on EBay. Thankfully I haven't spoiled myself on anything regarding the film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

James Hong dubbed Tsuchiya in the US version, quite well IMO.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I agree 100% with everything said, this film is a genuine Toho masterpiece, if I had to pick a favorite non-daikaiju film, it’d be this one lol.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

For Kinema Junpo in ‘09, Japanese critics ranked this as one of the 200 best Japanese films of all time, one of only four Toho tokusatsu films to make the list. The original Godzilla, The Last War, and House were the others. (In my opinion House doesn’t really fit that category but I figured someone would complain if I hadnt mentioned it.)
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Did that "Trio" transfer of this film ever run anywhere else? It was on Amazon Prime at one point, but it isn't there now.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It aired on Trio during a Quentin Tarantino-hosted marathon probably close to 15 years ago. Besides that I believe it was issued on video, although most video releases were transfers from 16mm.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Was it ever put on R1 DVD? I don't think I've ever seen that (and how I've never gotten to see it). Bummer that it never went to DVD from, say, MB, that put out a lot of non-Godzilla tokusatsu on DVD for us. Today with the decline of home media outside of streaming, there's probably as limited a market as ever for a DVD of this.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, this is one of the few Showa-era Toho Sci-Fi films that didn't make it to R1 DVD. A shame, but at least we have torrenting so it's not like it's impossible to see this film.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

MGM has Human Vapor along with Gorath and The Last War but they've never done anything with them.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gorath is on Comet TV a few times a year, I would say that’s more than you give them credit for. Hell, even Vapor has been shown on tv, though not in the last decade. The only one MGM has apparently never done anything with is War, and that’s understandable as it’s a bad Americanization of a talky and dated Japanese drama.

True they aren’t on DVD. As has been said many times, MGM only has poor film elements and pretty cruddy video masters for these three titles. They’re not going to undertake extensive restorations of each film for them to sell poorly on video.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Wish Vapor got a Blu-ray releases
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Some HD screenshots from the version available on Japanese iTunes and I think Japanese Amazon Prime Video.

btw you can see (who I assume to be going by their hat) Honda and his crew reflected on car windows in some shots. Just a little funny detail I've never seen mentioned anywhere else.
Spoiler:
Guess it's not a masterpiece anymore /s
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've been meaning to post about this about this, it's a very interesting film that I tracked down with the help of a friend.

It's great! Yoshio Tsuchiya was great as he usually is, I felt for Mizuno as he essentially wondered into what would end up taking his life. The climax with him watching Fujichiyo perform one final time was unique and heartbreaking, you could see her put her heart into it while knowing it won't end happily. I'll definitely being rewatching this in the future, it deserves more praise. The more I view it the more things I'll pick up.
Also points for having Yoshibumi Tajima. Kunio Miyauchi did a nice job for his first film score, I'm more familiar with his tie in songs for the toku flicks of the '70s, but the main theme here is great.

A cool fact I found is that there was a stage adaptation of this with Kumi Mizuno in 2009!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I`m currently going through a phase of watching a lot of the Toho produced horror and disaster films; I`ll definitely watch this soon.

Added in 2 days 9 hours 32 minutes 9 seconds:
That feel when you mix this up with the H-Man and accidentally watch a vastly inferior film. Oh well. Human Vapor tomorrow I suppose!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I`m currently going through a phase of watching a lot of the Toho produced horror and disaster films; I`ll definitely watch this soon.

That feel when you mix this up with the H-Man and accidentally watch a vastly inferior film. Oh well. Human Vapor tomorrow I suppose!
Did you like it

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I`m currently going through a phase of watching a lot of the Toho produced horror and disaster films; I`ll definitely watch this soon.

Did you like it
Oh yeah I liked it a lot.

One thing I appreciated is how the human vapor was a "day-time killer". I thought it was really horrific how he could just show up anywhere and wasn`t scared to. He wasn`t like a typical slasher villain or monster that waits for people alone and in the dark.

I also liked the tragic backstory, and the tragic ending. A lot of beautiful imagery and cinematography here and there.

I think there were some moments it dragged, but overall it gets a high recommendation from anyone who likes the showa aesthetic.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The Human Vapor might just be my second most beloved non-Godzilla film Toho’s ever done with Seventh Samurai and War of the Gargantuas coming in real close behind it.

A must watch if you’re into Toho’s non-kaiju films.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not gaga about this the way some are but I think it's a strong film. I don't particularly like either Mihashi or Sata's performances or the characters they play but the rest of the cast delivers. Especially Tsuchiya, who gives his strongest tokusatsu performance until probably Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. The first decade of Toho tokusatsu/genre movies is my favorite in part because of films like this. It's unfortunate that Toho would eventually focus solely on Godzilla movies. I love Godzilla vs. Gigan but how many more ideas like this did Takeshi Kimura have kicking around?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.