What happened between Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Hedorah?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: What happened between Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Hedorah?

Post by Maritonic »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:As somebody said earlier Anguirus was attacked my the JSDF in Godzilla vs Gigan. So the kaiju still weren't quite viewed in a heroic light just yet.
Well, I mean, to be fair...what are they supposed to do? Just let Anguirus waltz into Tokyo?
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

At least Anguirus wasn't. But then, the last one was hostile- and this was possibly the first appearance of the new in civilization. Arguably, this doesn't necessarily tell us anything about Godzilla's public perception. I mean, at the same time, they were building a theme park out of him; that indicates a certain amount of cultural shift. We'll do that for anti-heroes, even base rides off forces of nature of fictional bad guys. Horrible monstrosities scene as actual killers, horrific natural disasters that claimed many lives, public menaces... they don't tend to get theme parks. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:At least Anguirus wasn't. But then, the last one was hostile- and this was possibly the first appearance of the new in civilization. Arguably, this doesn't necessarily tell us anything about Godzilla's public perception. I mean, at the same time, they were building a theme park out of him; that indicates a certain amount of cultural shift. We'll do that for anti-heroes, even base rides off forces of nature of fictional bad guys. Horrible monstrosities scene as actual killers, horrific natural disasters that claimed many lives, public menaces... they don't tend to get theme parks. :)
Just as that may have been the first time the second Anguirus met humanity, this is also the second Godzilla who never commited an atrocity close to what the first did. True, this wasn’t necessarily on purpose on Godzilla’s part, but the second Godzilla’s rampages mostly just took him on sojourns across the countryside.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:I mean, at the same time, they were building a theme park out of him; that indicates a certain amount of cultural shift. We'll do that for anti-heroes, even base rides off forces of nature of fictional bad guys. Horrible monstrosities scene as actual killers, horrific natural disasters that claimed many lives, public menaces... they don't tend to get theme parks. :)
I think it would be reasonable to put Godzilla under the "forces of nature" heading.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Quite possibly so. But it seems like he is one without the added baggage of horrific mass casualties by that point. I could see a 'hurricane ride,' but not a 'Hurricane Sandy ride,' if that makes any difference.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

That theme park was a front for aliens trying to take over the world.

The Godzilla attraction was a laser cannon.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yes, but it was also considered a socially-acceptable thing that didn't seem to raise any "Your Holocaust theme-park seems in bad taste"-style red flags. Which would seem to indicate a public perception that had at least mellowed to 'dangerous but exciting' status (if not better) rather than 'horrible destructive monstrosity that has cost lives and wrought tragedy.'

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

He became a parent. Minya being born means spend more time at home and less time attacking Cities. Due to mellowing out and wanting to keep his Son safe Godzilla decides it would be best to fight monsters such as Heodrah and the others off. If a Space monster destroyed or took over Earth the Minya would be in danger.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'm sorry if this is technically off topic, but I'd like to know what the fuck happened to Infant Island and the Shobijin between 1966 and 1999.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:I'm sorry if this is technically off topic, but I'd like to know what the skreeonk happened to Infant Island and the Shobijin between 1966 and 1999.
Good question. How the hell were they cool with Mothra just being rounded up like she was?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, their island seemed to be in pretty bad shape (except when it wasn't); maybe they were offered a new home in return for Mothra voluntarily choosing to live there?

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

What were they gonna do if the World State decided to take Mothra? Sing threateningly? It was never the Shobijin's decision.

They either stayed on Infant Island to watch over their flock, or moved to Monster Island ala Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Zarm wrote:Well, their island seemed to be in pretty bad shape (except when it wasn't); maybe they were offered a new home in return for Mothra voluntarily choosing to live there?
I seemed to notice that Infant island became more desolate between Mothra & Mothra vs Godzilla. The jungles filled with carnivorous plants were seemingly absent on the island by 1964, since the Shobijin state the place they sung at was "the only green spot on the island".
I can't say much for the island in Godzilla vs the sea monster, but I'd like to believe that even though Mothra might have the power to quell radiation, multiple nuclear tests likely killed off too much of the original ecosystem for the Island to remain sustainable for the natives.

The fact that they could've been looking for a new home might be why the Red Bamboo came across them in the first place, maybe the Red Bamboo visited Infant island looking for traces of radioactive isotopes, but chose to take some of the natives as slaves when they came to ask for help in finding a new place to live.

As for what I think happened between SoG & GvsH:
Solgell Island became monster island when it thawed out, a Kamacuras, Gorosaurus, a second Anguirus and second Kumonga appeared on the Island.
the GTTHM/GvsSM Mothra had an offspring that was relocated to the Island by 1972, and would sire the DAM Mothra later on.

Godzilla at first acted defensive towards the other monsters, out of both desiring to sleep & to protect Minya, causing Anguirus to view Godzilla as a neutral force rather than a foe.
Rodan, after roaming the south pacific following the events of Monster Zero, chose to live on the island upon finding Godzilla there. Anguirus became a friend to Godzilla once he saw that Rodan was an ally with Goji.

Godzilla became more peaceful due to having more saurian allies to interact with, and would continue to become more good natured as time went on. Desiring to genuinely defend the Earth by GvsH, and becoming a true hero for humanity in 1973.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rodan also became a parent according Toho as he raised Baragon.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:Rodman also became a parent according Toho as he raised Baragon.
I've yet to see any actual proof of this (assuming you meant Rodan). As far as I know, it's a fan-theory.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Maritonic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Rodman also became a parent according Toho as he raised Baragon.
I've yet to see any actual proof of this (assuming you meant Rodan). As far as I know, it's a fan-theory.
Stupid phone autocorrected Rodan.

The fact related to Baragon being born in the Gunma Prefecture and raised by Rodan comes from the 1993 publication Everything About Godzilla Movies (ISBN: 9784054002166). The book does not note which Baragon its talking about. A logical guess from this information would indicate that Rodan more specifically raised the Baragon from Destroy All Monsters (1968).

This is from the main site.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

miguelnuva wrote:Rodan also became a parent according Toho as he raised Baragon.
That's adorable and I love it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I actually much prefer the notion that Dennis Rodman moved to monster island in the 90s and raised an infant Baragon. Nowadays, he is quite annoyed as a typo in some '93 book from Japan accidentally attributed his feats of nurture to a giant pterodactyl, instead.

...Also, '93; that can't be a coincidence. Just as a Heisei movie was being released that portrayed Rodan with a loving, self-sacrificing parental side unique to this singular portrayal of his character. Would it be safe to call this book ret-con of Showa Rodan the strangest movie tie-in in Godzilla history?
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Stupid phone autocorrected Rodan.

The fact related to Baragon being born in the Gunma Prefecture and raised by Rodan comes from the 1993 publication Everything About Godzilla Movies (ISBN: 9784054002166). The book does not note which Baragon its talking about. A logical guess from this information would indicate that Rodan more specifically raised the Baragon from Destroy All Monsters (1968).

This is from the main site.
Wow. New headcanon for me: that never happened.

But thanks for sharing the source.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zarm wrote:Just as a Heisei movie was being released that portrayed Rodan with a loving, self-sacrificing parental side unique to this singular portrayal of his character.
...Did it really, though? People are always going on about this, but I barely remember Rodan doing anything "loving" or "parental" in GVMG93 besides giving Godzilla his life force and kidnapping Baby Godzilla and putting it in danger.