Madame White Snake (Shiro Toyoda, 1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KaijusHunter
Samurai

Madame White Snake (Shiro Toyoda, 1956)

Post by KaijusHunter »

Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image
I don't think this film has been mentionned a whole lot on this website. After watching it on DVD yesterday, I fell in love with it.
From the beautiful scenery to the the actors' performances, and from the great score by Ikuma Dan to Eiji Tsuburaya's impressive special effects, this movie has all the qualities of becoming a little masterpiece of Japanese postwar fantasy cinema.

I recommend you to buy the Toho DVD, as it is not available in North America. This is a beautiful film that deserves more praise and shouldn't be overlooked.

*You may want to watch it with English subtitles; I'm working on a revised version of the subs, as the ones found on the Internet have bad timing.*
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Madame White Snake (Shiro Toyoda, 1956)

Post by Space Hunter M »

I'm in desperate need of something better than the Mei-Ah DVD/Toho's old '80s video master. I've not been able to find the Toho DVD on any of the regular retail outlets (maybe it's on Amazon.jp but I dunno if they still ship abroad).

I enjoyed it for being Toho's first Eastman SPFX flick, and the production value was good like you said. Cropped stock footage from this actually ended up in Shaw Brothers' own musical version of The Legend of the White Serpent in 1962.

Yeah, those subs sync to the old xvid rip of the Mei-Ah DVD, complete with like a good 5 seconds of the main menu .vob and data errors that splice out some dialogue.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

I found my copy on Amazon.ca for a really good price; it's the 2015 DVD re-release. It is also available on Amazon.com, so I'd suggest you to pick it up before all copies disappear.

I did not know for the 1962 film; I might check it out, it's on YouTube after all.

If you are interested in my revised srt. file, just let me know; I should have finished it in a week or so.
Also, I am looking for the score of the movie, which was released under SLC label in 1995. If you can help me, PM me.
Last edited by KaijusHunter on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Looks like Toho also put out an HD version on Amazon Video.

...like anyone's gonna rip that.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

This is the same story that served as the basis for Tsui Hark's Green Snake (1993) and Jet Li's Sorcerer and the White Snake, right?
Last edited by H-Man on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

It borrows elements from it, indeed. I believe the Toho film is the first movie adaptation of the tale, altough I may be wrong.