Weapons Talkback: Power Lines (1954 & 1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Weapons Talkback: Power Lines (1954 & 1962)

Post by BlankAccount »

While originally intended to power cities, the Japanese military had come up with an in-genius plan to deter Godzilla away from Tokyo. Sine projectiles could not penetrate the monster's flesh why not shock it with electricity? With in record time they had built power lines along Tokyo's shoreline, using them as a sort of electric fence.

The results were mixed. For something that wasn't meant to be weaponized, the lines did managed to hurt the beast, the only other thing to have harmed the original Godzilla in 1954 was the Oxygen Destroyer. However it was neither enough to kill the monster or turn it around, instead it hurt the creature enough to use his Atomic Breath in a rage of fit on the entire city, something he had not done on his first short night in the city before and had up until that point only used his energy weapon on ships out in the sea.

Still, the fact it made the monster use a hidden ability meant they were on the right track, as in 1962 the same idea was done before but with more power, which was enough to actually deter the second Godzilla. These would encourage power monster killing weapons later on the series, with the Showa series having the Artificial Lightning Generator and Giant Electrodes and the Heisei series having the Thunder Control system, all of which have proven effective despite their flaws.

The one downside is monsters who feed off of electricity would be empowered and even attracted to such weapons, so it is not a one size fits all solution.

But overall a cool idea and clever solution for when bullets, bombs and rockets fail to get through a monsters thick skin.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weapons Talkback: Power Lines (1954 & 1962)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really like how they evolved. Wasn't some variation of them in Mothra vs Godzilla , but they could fire electricity?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I really like how they evolved. Wasn't some variation of them in Mothra vs Godzilla , but they could fire electricity?
https://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/ ... rator.html

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While it was effective against Godzilla in KK vs G, it didn't do much good in other films. It seemed to anger Godzilla more than stop him. I will say the artificial lightning was the best use of electric attack, though. If the lines had been able to handle the power, it might have badly injured Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.