Cozzilla - Restored!!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GenoCuddy
Ronin

Cozzilla - Restored!!

Post by GenoCuddy »

Hello everyone,

I was unsure as to where to put this so if any admins read this, please move this to its appropriate forum.

Anyway, about three months ago I was sent a standard definition video file of Luigi Cozzi's infamous 1977 colorized reissue of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, from a film collector in Italy. The print was rather good and provided a much easier experience to restore, especially given that I am not a professional at this. I enhanced both video and audio. I boosted the color, as it was quite faded in parts, and sharpened the image to the best of the limited abilities of the software I used. I converted the mono soundtrack to stereo given that the original 1977 film was said to be in stereophonic sound, and created an interesting effect that rumbled your seat every time Godzilla took a step. I attempted to recreate that through boosting both bass and treble as carefully as possible.

I am posting the link to the completed restoration so that this version can finally get the respect it deserves, true it is not the definitive cut of the film, however it is a fun and unique watch that has been unfairly dismissed due to the abhorrent quality of the film currently available on YouTube.

If by any chance the admins take issue with this link, please feel free to remove it and for those curious, shoot me an email and I will provide the link privately.

I believe all films, no matter how bizarre or tasteless they may be, deserve to be preserved and available for future generations.

Thank you all and enjoy.

- GENO CUDDY

Link: https://archive.org/details/CozzillaRestored
Email: Geno_Cuddy@yahoo.com

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Cozzilla - Restored!!

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Thanks for posting, looks pretty good.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

NICE!

Thanks for sharing. :)
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Wow! Thank you for breathing new life into this thing! I can't believe I was gonna watch this on YouTube...
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Cool glad to see you sharing the link here as I've seen and heard you charging money for the link to the archive page. As well as your first response to people inquiring about the film being about wanting them to just offer you money.

Can't wait to see what you do next though as the film looks great and leaps and bounds better than what was previously available
Last edited by G-MAN on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

G-MAN wrote:Cool glad to see you sharing the link here as I've seen and heard you charging money for the link to the archive page. As well as your first response to people inquiring about the film being about wanting them to just offer you money.

Can't wait to see what you do next though as the film looks great and leaps and bounds better than what was previously available

I don't know why you feel the need to slander me in public, but if you must know, being that I am autistic, I have a warped sense of humour that doesnt connect with most people, you took my joke a little too seriously, I had no intention of collecting money at all. As far as what I will do next, I think my work here is done, it is time for me to move on and focus on my local projects.
Last edited by GenoCuddy on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't think it was intended as slander^

But anyways, great job just by scrolling through it. While obviously Cozilla is just a re-edit so is the 1955 King of the Monsters so it follows in the same tradition.

I was actually gonna do a project in Cozilla and KOTM for a college paper involving foreign re-edits so that's cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I don't think it was intended as slander^
Yeah it definitely wasn't slander just pointing out that it's honestly nice to see you aren't trying to get people to pay for a link to a public site for a film that is a must see for any Godzilla fan. And ok you're autistic but you weren't joking around about wanting money/fame for this as I've seen what you've said to others about wanting to try and make money off of this and what not. And I don't feel the need to go in depth about it just know I'm not dumb and I know what you were doing and it wasn't cool. Just realize it was a mistake and just learn from it and move on man.

And I'm just glad you decided to change that approach and just share it with the fans. As it is the best quality we are likely to ever see As the film will never receive any sort of official release unless someone in Italy is able to give toho a ridiculous amount of money as I'm sure they hate this film and would rather it remain lost. And we are all fans and should look out for another and share all the cool rarities like this instead of hoarding and hiding them from the majority of the community. It's annoying when you have some of the more well known members of the community who have access to some of the more rare things and like I said keep things to themselves or just share with others who they like or know. So again glad you finally put it out for others and let it be know that it's available
Last edited by G-MAN on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

This buffering lag is really starting to tilt me.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

G-MAN wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I don't think it was intended as slander^
Yeah it definitely wasn't slander just pointing out that it's honestly nice to see you aren't trying to get people to pay for a link to a public site for a film that is a must see for any Godzilla fan. And ok you're autistic but you weren't joking around about wanting money/fame for this as I've seen what you've said to others about wanting to try and make money off of this and what not. And I don't feel the need to go in depth about it just know I'm not dumb and I know what you were doing and it wasn't cool. Just realize it was a mistake and just learn from it and move on man.

And I'm just glad you decided to change that approach and just share it with the fans. As it is the best quality we are likely to ever see As the film will never receive any sort of official release unless someone in Italy is able to give toho a ridiculous amount of money as I'm sure they hate this film and would rather it remain lost. And we are all fans and should look out for another and share all the cool rarities like this instead of hoarding and hiding them from the majority of the community. It's annoying when you have some of the more well known members of the community who have access to some of the more rare things and like I said keep things to themselves or just share with others who they like or know. So again glad you finally put it out for others and let it be know that it's available

What I will say is, I'm not a bad guy, and perhaps I got in a little over my head, may we please drop this, I moved on from that and learned from it, I don't want a barrage of hatred from people who barely know me.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

This is really exciting to see and the picture quality looks great, but there seems to be something off with the frame rate. Do you still have the original file you got from your source?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:This is really exciting to see and the picture quality looks great, but there seems to be something off with the frame rate. Do you still have the original file you got from your source?
No I do not, I was told by a noted film historian, Eric Grayson, that I did the best job I could with what little I had. I didn't notice anything off about the FPS.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

There definitely are some dropped frames here and there. Your version is evidently a 25 fps source converted to 29.97 fps, and something may have gone awry during the conversion. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing the source file you were sent.
Last edited by Tamura on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

Tamura wrote:There definitely are some dropped frames here and there. Your version is evidently a 25 fps source converted to 29.97 fps, and something may have gone awry during the conversion. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing the source file you were sent.
I do not have it.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

How do you not have the source file anymore? And I'm curious why you changed the frame rate to begin with as it would've been more authentic to keep it at 25 fps

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

G-MAN wrote:How do you not have the source file anymore? And I'm curious why you changed the frame rate to begin with as it would've been more authentic to keep it at 25 fps
Look dude, I dont know why you have this beef with me but since you feel the need to assume things you don't know here is the scoop, My computer can only hold up to 500GB of data, its not a high end model, since both my restoration and the source were big files I deleted the source, because I thought my work would have been enough for people, but now we are complaining about frame rates, how unappreciative!!! Also, I didn't change the FPS on purpose, you think I'm this horrible person and just want to troll me, not in the mood for that. I'm getting so I regret ever doing any of this work as people like you really piss me off, there have been some decent people who have shown genuine appreciation, but the bad is outweighing the good at this point. I know who you are too. If you wish to keep up with this, I just may shut off all communication with anybody wanting to discuss this. I don't have time for this.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

The two of you need to knock it off. If I see this argument continuing, both of you will be getting slapped with a warning.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Really? A comment war over framerate? At least this is the best we get to see Cozzilla in such a high-quality format.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Really? A comment war over framerate? At least this is the best we get to see Cozzilla in such a high-quality format.
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed it.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

GodzillavsJason wrote:The two of you need to knock it off. If I see this argument continuing, both of you will be getting slapped with a warning.
Did you read my comments? cuz I wasn't arguing over anything i was just asking a question as I had been wondering about the framerate before anyone brought it up. He needs to handle people asking questions better instead of taking it the wrong way.
Last edited by G-MAN on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.