What if Godzilla (1954) and Gamera (1965) Switched Places?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
G1G4N_27
Yojimbo

What if Godzilla (1954) and Gamera (1965) Switched Places?

Post by G1G4N_27 »

Gamera (1954) and Godzilla (1965)??
I believe Toho would have to file for bankruptcy during 1971 and Gamera would be more successful... Then we get to the Heisei Godzilla series. After Gamera vs. So and So Godzilla would reboot itself to be the Godzilla Heisei Trilogy. 3-4 movies would be made while Gamera might be getting an American reboot, which would not receive well. Gamera would reboot itself from the American film and it would end in the early 2000's while Godzilla comes back sometime after Gamera ends and Toho akes their final take on Godzilla, never to be seen again (up to 20XX).
Discuss other theories you have.
G1G4N_27
ImageImageImage

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: What if Godzilla (1954) and Gamera (1965) Switched Places?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

In terms of story and universe, Gamera would be dead, and Godzilla wouldn't go to the Planet Terra (because he can't fly).
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Well, in-universe, Kenny I would be dead, and Godzilla would have just melted the rocket capsule when it closed up around him. Without an Oxygen Destroyer to stop him, Godzilla would go around murdering Kennies, monsters, and aliens.

Gamera, meanwhile, would actually be able to avoid the Oxygen Destroyer - he can fly, after all. Many of the methods used to defeat Godzilla wouldn't work on Gamera, simply because he can fly away.
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:In terms of story and universe, Gamera would be dead, and Godzilla wouldn't go to the Planet Terra (because he can't fly).
Didn't Gamera just blow up the ship?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

No. A meteor destroyed the ship, freeing Gamera.

To answer the topic, I don't think A Toho Gamera series would last long. It would likely go to about DAM, and then stop. However, the Gamera films wouldn't be as kid friendly or goofy as they were if Toho were doing it. Gamera would come back later, and be more successful, but end again as interest faded. It would be rebooted later.

As for Godzilla, he'd be less serious, which would bring a quick end to the character. Maybe 4 or 5 films at most. A reboot would come later, inspired by the Gamera films, and would have some success, but come to an end on a high note.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

edgaguirus wrote:No. A meteor destroyed the ship, freeing Gamera.

To answer the topic, I don't think A Toho Gamera series would last long. It would likely go to about DAM, and then stop. However, the Gamera films wouldn't be as kid friendly or goofy as they were if Toho were doing it. Gamera would come back later, and be more successful, but end again as interest faded. It would be rebooted later.

As for Godzilla, he'd be less serious, which would bring a quick end to the character. Maybe 4 or 5 films at most. A reboot would come later, inspired by the Gamera films, and would have some success, but come to an end on a high note.
Ah, I haven't watched that movie since 2001 on my dad's VHS. Also, I agree with you on the Toho Gamera thing and the Kadokawa Pictures Godzilla thing. I also wonder what the Godzilla Heisei trilogy would be like. XD

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Godzilla would end the world without an oxygen destroyer to kill him, and without a more forgiving successor to stop him.
Gamera would eventually die from the more powerful foes like King Ghidorah, or Hedorah.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm sure they'd find a way to make Gamera able to handle Ghidorah or Hedorah. If they made Godzilla a magnet to stop MG, then they could do something for Gamera.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

edgaguirus wrote:I'm sure they'd find a way to make Gamera able to handle Ghidorah or Hedorah. If they made Godzilla a magnet to stop MG, then they could do something for Gamera.

Or they could also have Gamera constantly die only for another to show up and win the fight, then they could have a later/Heisei Gamera film that keeps the previous continuity & shows all the dead previous gamera's gathered into an area by the current stronger Heisei Gamera. :lol:
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!