Rodan vs. Fire Dragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
123go
Samurai

Rodan vs. Fire Dragon

Post by 123go »

It has always bothered me the way Rodan flew off in the fight against Ghidorah. The next time he was seen he was engaging the Fire Dragon. Could it be that was the reason he didn't rejoin the battle? It would go a long way towards rebuilding his rep in the showa timeline.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Re: Rodan vs. Fire Dragon

Post by Billzilla1974 »

It's possible he believed (correctly) that the rest of the monsters didn't need his help to kill King Ghidorah and decided to make sure no other threats appeared to turn the tide for Ghidorah. He found the Fire dragon and kept it at bay while the others were finishing off KG.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That's an interesting theory. But, I wonder why the Kilaaks didn't use the Fire Dragon to tire out the monsters and then use King Ghidorah. But, just a thought.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:That's an interesting theory. But, I wonder why the Kilaaks didn't use the Fire Dragon to tire out the monsters and then use King Ghidorah. But, just a thought.
Poor planning.

Added in 56 seconds:
Billzilla1974 wrote:It's possible he believed (correctly) that the rest of the monsters didn't need his help to kill King Ghidorah and decided to make sure no other threats appeared to turn the tide for Ghidorah. He found the Fire dragon and kept it at bay while the others were finishing off KG.
I like that theory.

Added in 6 minutes 46 seconds:
Billzilla1974 wrote:It's possible he believed (correctly) that the rest of the monsters didn't need his help to kill King Ghidorah and decided to make sure no other threats appeared to turn the tide for Ghidorah. He found the Fire dragon and kept it at bay while the others were finishing off KG.
A good theory that would go along with Rodan's independent thinking. The other monsters needed to be guided and were followers. (anguirus being the most guilty of following) The only other exception would be Mothra. (not the larvae but Imago)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:That's an interesting theory. But, I wonder why the Kilaaks didn't use the Fire Dragon to tire out the monsters.
Probably because it was a a common saucer and would have been easy to take down.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don't think Rodan was fighting the Fire Dragon. To me the great thing about the Fire Dragon is that it's an empty threat - the Kilaaks and well and truly desperate at that point, their continued bravado is all false. It was their very last resort to cow the Earth into surrender, now that all their actual weapons were gone.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:That's an interesting theory. But, I wonder why the Kilaaks didn't use the Fire Dragon to tire out the monsters.
Probably because it was a a common saucer and would have been easy to take down.
But it wasn't easy to take down. It burned Rodan and Godzilla's Flame was useless.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

123go wrote:It would go a long way towards rebuilding his rep in the showa timeline.
Rebuilding his rep? I'm pretty sure that DAM never turned off the fandom or the public at large where Rodan was concerned.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm sure the reason was because if made the fight easier to coordinate. There were more than enough wires being used.

Movie wise, Rodan could have been laying back as back up. However, Godzilla and the other monsters didn't need it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

eabaker wrote:
123go wrote:It would go a long way towards rebuilding his rep in the showa timeline.
Rebuilding his rep? I'm pretty sure that DAM never turned off the fandom or the public at large where Rodan was concerned.
I think it added to his decline in popularity. A lot of people misunderstood when he just flew off. The movie made it look like one shot from Ghidorah and he was done. I understand about wires and such but it was never clarified in the movie why he didn't rejoin. Although I like the idea of Godzilla and some of the lesser monsters taking on Ghidorah. It at least gave it a different spin on the same old fight. Still, between this and the fact that Return of Ghidorah (in that movie Rodan was slated to take a starring role) was never made, Rodan just became another Kaiju instead of remaining an equal to Godzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

123go wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I think it added to his decline in popularity. A lot of people misunderstood when he just flew off. The movie made it look like one shot from Ghidorah and he was done. I understand about wires and such but it was never clarified in the movie why he didn't rejoin. Although I like the idea of Godzilla and some of the lesser monsters taking on Ghidorah. It at least gave it a different spin on the same old fight. Still, between this and the fact that Return of Ghidorah (in that movie Rodan was slated to take a starring role) was never made, Rodan just became another Kaiju instead of remaining an equal to Godzilla.
Rodan's reduced presence in the later Showa films can much more easily be attributed to the fact that he is a complicated, expensive character from an effects standpoint, and as budgets and schedules were reduced, it was much simpler to leave him (along with Mothra) out in favor of Angilas, who'd had a new suit constructed for DAM that could be recycled for a few more movies.

At least in the US, Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra remained the only Toho kaiju who anyone outside of dedicated fans was likely to be able to name for decades after DAM came out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

eabaker wrote:
123go wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Rodan's reduced presence in the later Showa films can much more easily be attributed to the fact that he is a complicated, expensive character from an effects standpoint, and as budgets and schedules were reduced, it was much simpler to leave him (along with Mothra) out in favor of Angilas, who'd had a new suit constructed for DAM that could be recycled for a few more movies.

At least in the US, Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra remained the only Toho kaiju who anyone outside of dedicated fans was likely to be able to name for decades after DAM came out.
Well, that is true. Unfortunate, but true.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If you notice, all the monsters that play any substantial role in the climax of the film are all suits. Kumonga appears for a brief shot, as does Mothra, and Manda(who requires wires as well) is absent. Coordinating all of that must have been difficult and annoying and that's why it's really only Gorosaurus, Anguirus and Godzilla putting in work. It's a shame, because rather than the OP's opinion, this film doesn't ruin Rodan at all, but makes KG really pathetic. All they needed to do was add a few cutaway shots of Monsters lile Manda getting shot by gravity beams and the climax would've made sense.

Anyways, going back to the Fire dragon, It's not like Rodan was killed or anything, tons of times by Ghidorah and Godzilla Rodan was forecibly groubded. All the Fire dragon was a durable UFO with heat that disguised it. It ramming Rodan out of the sky isn't shocking at all and given how much heat it was exhausting the fire dragon was probably capable of taking a few hits from the beam.

The Fire dragon was an act of desperation but it's also like it wasn't capable of its purpose. Hypothetically it couldvkept ramming into major buildings. Felt like a plan C more than anything.

It also served a thematic function of giving the human leads something to do, that pretty much no other monster than rodan could do which is why it was essential Rodan be addressed and knocked out of the picture.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:If you notice, all the monsters that play any substantial role in the climax of the film are all suits. Kumonga appears for a brief shot, as does Mothra, and Manda(who requires wires as well) is absent. Coordinating all of that must have been difficult and annoying and that's why it's really only Gorosaurus, Anguirus and Godzilla putting in work. It's a shame, because rather than the OP's opinion, this film doesn't ruin Rodan at all, but makes KG really pathetic. All they needed to do was add a few cutaway shots of Monsters lile Manda getting shot by gravity beams and the climax would've made sense.

Anyways, going back to the Fire dragon, It's not like Rodan was killed or anything, tons of times by Ghidorah and Godzilla Rodan was forecibly groubded. All the Fire dragon was a durable UFO with heat that disguised it. It ramming Rodan out of the sky isn't shocking at all and given how much heat it was exhausting the fire dragon was probably capable of taking a few hits from the beam.

The Fire dragon was an act of desperation but it's also like it wasn't capable of its purpose. Hypothetically it couldvkept ramming into major buildings. Felt like a plan C more than anything.

It also served a thematic function of giving the human leads something to do, that pretty much no other monster than Rodan could do which is why it was essential Rodan be addressed and knocked out of the picture.
I understand the wires thing. And you're right, Rodan needed to be knocked out of the picture. I suppose if the editing or a scene that shows Rodan flying off to confront the Flying Saucer while the others are fighting would have helped and not looked so bad for him. (one shot from a gravity beam and he's done) As far as making Ghidorah look weak. Perhaps. It would have been nice if they could have incorporated the other monsters better. Maybe they wanted something different than just webbing him up as an ending, but yes, having Godzilla take him out with assists from the much weaker Gorosaurus and Anguirus does hurt Ghidorah a little I suppose. I personally wish a couple of kaiju could have been killed. Manda for sure. Varan. It looked like he killed Anguirus. Those three being killed could have helped.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

123go wrote:I suppose if the editing or a scene that shows Rodan flying off to confront the Flying Saucer while the others are fighting would have helped and not looked so bad for him. (one shot from a gravity beam and he's done)
He held his own in Astro-Monster/Monster Zero. And in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster, where he was Godzilla's equal in durability and fighting skill, the two of them battling each-other to a stalemate...

I can't recall any specific instances of him getting hit by a gravity beam and surviving, but he's certainly shown the ability to take on KG.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Actually, I've always sort of liked how he just flees the scene. After having to fight Ghidorah two times before, he's just "Oh hell naw" and leaves it up to the rest. It fits his character.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Actually, I've always sort of liked how he just flees the scene. After having to fight Ghidorah two times before, he's just "Oh hell naw" and leaves it up to the rest. It fits his character.
Yeah, Rodan is like modern-day France. He's an ally of the big dog, but remembers when he was his own badass so he likes to complain, bicker, and then f*** off and do his own thing, to the annoyance of everyone else.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Actually, I've always sort of liked how he just flees the scene. After having to fight Ghidorah two times before, he's just "Oh hell naw" and leaves it up to the rest. It fits his character.
It doesn't really fit his character, though. In G3HM, this particular Rodan battles King Ghidorah because Mothra's bravery impresses him, and he wants to help her in her otherwise grim situation. He didn't need to fight King Ghidorah - he chose to.

The other Rodans we see show similar selflessness. One of the original Rodans chooses to die with its mate rather than escape, and Heisei Rodan's entire motivation is to rescue Godzilla Junior, who he believes to be his sibling. And it's impossible to judge FW Rodan, because we never see him free of Xilien mind control.

Added in 1 minute 38 seconds:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Yeah, Rodan is like modern-day France. He's an ally of the big dog, but remembers when he was his own badass so he likes to complain, bicker, and then f*** off and do his own thing, to the annoyance of everyone else.
Hey, that's... really off-topic. This isn't the politics thread, I'm not sure if we even have one.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

I definitely don't think that fits Rodan at all. The bottom line is that the makers of DAM just didn't think it was necessary to have any explanation for him flying off. In hindsight, it makes him look weak and offsets any perception that he was Godzilla's equal. Later movies reflected that, wires or no wires. The Heisei series had him as lower to middle tier and in final wars he put up as much of a fight as Manda would have. Even in comics he was beaten by z lister Varan. Sad. Maybe the new movies will do him justice.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Fire Dragon always seemed like something tacked on at the last second to give the human characters one last thing to do, not so much Rodan. The little confrontation and the reveal of it just being a flaming UFO is a letdown after the big Mt Fuji/Ghidorah battle royale.