Thoughts on a remake

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Radioactive Lizard
Ronin

Thoughts on a remake

Post by Radioactive Lizard »

Does anyone think they should finally make a sequel to Godzilla vs Hedorah? It kinda sucks it was never made though. Please someone agree with me.
I HAVE THE POWER OF GOD

UltramanGoji

Re: Thoughts on a remake

Post by UltramanGoji »

No. The movie is almost 40 years old and doesn't need a sequel, especially considering Banno is no longer with us.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

If someone had a story concept that really, organically fit as a sequel to Hedorah, then I'd certainly be down.

On the other hand, if the starting point is, "Hey, let's find a way to make a sequel!" then I'd be less enthusiastic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I'd be happy to see Hedorah return as a monster in some way.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's one of my favorite films in the franchise. I would love for Hedorah to come back in some form in a movie with a new plot, but would hate a remake or even sequel. I feel like the original is a perfect product of its time, an unintentional period peice and trying to shoehorn something like that would be bad.

Plus, I feel like in a lot of ways future movies such as Godzilla vs Destroroyah and Shin Gojira are spiritual successors to Hedorah so in many ways sequels and remakes already exist.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don't think a remake or sequel is needed, but I would love for Hedorah to come back in a big way.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

For the record, a remake is not the same as a sequel.

As for the topic at hand. No to both.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering the time that has passed, I don't think a sequel would work. A remake of the film, maybe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really want to see Anno do a Hedorah movie.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why do you propose a remake of Godzilla vs Hedorah of all films, yet the odds are that most of you would scoff at the idea of remaking the original 1954 film?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote:Why propose a remake of Godzilla Hedorah of all films, yet you scoff at the idea of remaking the original 1954 film?
Probably because Gojira is already perfect, and doesn't need a remake? The best you're going to get with that is Shin.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Why propose a remake of Godzilla Hedorah of all films, yet you scoff at the idea of remaking the original 1954 film?
Probably because Gojira is already perfect, and doesn't need a remake? The best you're going to get with that is Shin.

Would you rather have 100 more movies where Godzilla can shoot his heat ray through his tail or where he is a giant Vegetable?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:

Would you rather have 100 more movies where Godzilla can shoot his heat ray through his tail or where he is a giant Vegetable?
Word of advice, don't mock what you don't understand.
#slatternking

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gojira... Perfect. Look, it started the franchise. Sure, it's a solid movie. But perfect? Yeah... Not really. Under the right hands, someone could take the story and make it perfect. And no, that doesn't mean turn it into the next 3-hour long remake that tries to stretch the movie out too far (looking at you Kong '05). But there is A LOT of room for improvement in G'54 beyond just the special effects (which aren't as good as some other 1950's monster films).

Such instances of how to make this better...

- Actually show why Emiko fell out of love with Serizawa and with Ogata. I imagine it's because Serizawa doesn't want to do anything but science stuff, which drives her into the arms of Ogata (also Serizawa's best friend).
- Emiko's father's reaction to Emiko not going along with the plans of their marriage.
- Dr. Yamane actually trying to reason with the government about not outright hunting and killing Godzilla, instead of just sulking in the dark.
- How about an actress that can actually cry and not sound like a horse having a seizure?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Of course, perfect was a hyperbole, no film is perfect, i just see no reason to remake it.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MM Raids Again wrote:Gojira... Perfect. Look, it started the franchise. Sure, it's a solid movie. But perfect? Yeah... Not really. Under the right hands, someone could take the story and make it perfect. And no, that doesn't mean turn it into the next 3-hour long remake that tries to stretch the movie out too far (looking at you Kong '05). But there is A LOT of room for improvement in G'54 beyond just the special effects (which aren't as good as some other 1950's monster films).

- Actually show why Emiko fell out of love with Serizawa and with Ogata. I imagine it's because Serizawa doesn't want to do anything but science stuff, which drives her into the arms of Ogata (also Serizawa's best friend).
- Emiko's father's reaction to Emiko not going along with the plans of their marriage.
- Dr. Yamane actually trying to reason with the government about not outright hunting and killing Godzilla, instead of just sulking in the dark.
- How about an actress that can actually cry and not sound like a horse having a seizure?
It's a relief to see someone else with some leniency towards the idea of remaking the original. Do you mind if I start a separate thread for this?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:Gojira... Perfect. Look, it started the franchise. Sure, it's a solid movie. But perfect? Yeah... Not really. Under the right hands, someone could take the story and make it perfect. And no, that doesn't mean turn it into the next 3-hour long remake that tries to stretch the movie out too far (looking at you Kong '05). But there is A LOT of room for improvement in G'54 beyond just the special effects (which aren't as good as some other 1950's monster films).

It's a relief to see someone else with some leniency towards the idea of remaking the original. Do you mind if I start a separate thread for this?
I don't mind, lol. I was actually under the impression that's what this thread was before until I read some of the other posts. -_- Lol

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MM Raids Again wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

I don't mind, lol. I was actually under the impression that's what this thread was before until I read some of the other posts. -_- Lol
Then I guess I shall get started as soon as possible.