Yoshio Tsuchiya Passes Away 1927-2017

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Yoshio Tsuchiya Passes Away 1927-2017

Post by TheSecondComing »

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO20 ... 0C1CZ8000/
https://www.facebook.com/CelebrityICONS ... 8735479028

Actor Yoshio Tsuchiya has passed away due to lung cancer at age 89. According to the facebook post linked to above, he passed away February 5th and the family were only able to announce the news recently.

What are your favorite moments from this wonderful actor's career?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yoshio Tsuchiya Passes Away 1927-2017

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

RIP. He was a great actor with personality. His performances will forever be remembered on film.

He also played the Mysterian Leader.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

So sad to hear this. I always think of his role in GRA when his name comes up. Goodbye and farewell to a fine actor.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

He has escaped into the future...

GodEmperorGabara
The Modfather
The Modfather

Post by GodEmperorGabara »

Gonna do a global sticky for this so that users can pay their respects. The thread will be unstickied after a week or so.

The man played some memorable characters like the Xian Controller and Shindo. While I think every G-Fan remembers him as the Xian Controller, I always felt that his greatest performance was the scene in GvsKG where Shindo meets Godzilla again. It was one of the most emotionally touching moments in the Godzilla franchise. Yoshio Tsuchiya will be missed by G-Fans everywhere.
I hate you eternally now Derzerb, I hope you know this.
<3

Made a Discord server, feel free to message me if you're interested.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As good as he was as Shindo I will always remember him best as Furukawa in Son of Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Too many legends passing way too close to each other T-T
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

My favorite role of his might be the Planet X Controller, but Shindo is right up there. It'll only make me even more emotional seeing the scene between him and Godzilla. Rest in peace, Yoshio Tsuchiya.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Mr. Tsuchiya is just a unique actor in Toho's brilliant cavalcade of both men and women, from on camera to behind the scenes. I always loved his roles as the Controller of Planet X in INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER and Shindo in GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH. It makes me sad that we lost another Toho titan. Thank You, Mr. Tsuchiya, for not only love to play these roles but making them memorable. :cry:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

He was a memorable and unique actor in Toho's history. May he rest in peace.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Tsuchiya is one of my favorite actors from Toho's kaiju and sci-fi films. He really had a commanding onscreen presence, and had terrific range, playing sympathetic heroic characters and cold, evil villainous characters. Perhaps most notable about him was his enthusiasm for science-fiction. He always insisted on playing the more mysterious and fantastical roles in place of lead characters. In his own words, "I don't like playing just regular guys."

One of the most interesting things I learned about Tsuchiya was that he was considered for the lead role of Joji Atsumi, a role ultimately played by Kenji Sahara, in The Mysterians. However, Tsuchiya insisted on playing the Mysterian Leader instead, which Toho believed was a bit part because of the mask the character wore. Tsuchiya really brought a lot to the role as well, because it was his idea for the Mysterian Leader to speak in a stunted, robotic voice on top of the sound of the universal translator on the character's helmet. It really sounds like a real computer-generated voice, which Ishiro Honda himself supposedly noted years later. All of this comes from the book Age of the Gods, if anyone's curious.

He will truly be missed, another one of the titans of Toho's science-fiction films we have lost this year. But like Banno and Nakajima, he left behind a legacy that will endure through subsequent generations of kaiju and Japanese sci-fi fans.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

May he Rest In Peace. He will always be remembered, and for good reason.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I always liked his performance in Son of Godzilla. His is one of the most engaging portrayals of island madness that I've ever seen.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Tsuchiya might very well be one of my favorite Toho actors alongside Akira Kubo and Akira Takarada. I've especially always loved him as Shindo in GvsKG. That scene where he confronts Godzilla is one of the best moments in the entire series IMHO. So I really regret the fact that I didn't get the chance to meet him and thank him for making that scene so memorable, along with the other roles he played.

R.I.P. Tsuchiya-san :cry:
Last edited by G-Matt on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

One thing I remember is that he really really wanted to work on the original Godzilla but was unable to do so as he was filming Seven Samurai at the time. So whenever he'd get a break from filming he'd head over to the Godzilla set to watch them film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

May he Rest In Peace. I'll always remember that emotional scene in G Vs KG and think of him from now on

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

R.I.P my favorite Godzilla actor

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

R.I.P Mr. Tsuchiya, you will be missed by many.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Dangit, we're losing everybody this year.

You will be missed Tssuchiya, but your legacy lives on.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote:He has escaped into the future...