Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which do you prefer?

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
49%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
51%

Total votes: 51

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

Post by Zarm »

Pkmatrix wrote: Wow, VERY much disagree there!

I'd rank them:

1. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
4. Terror of Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

With Tokyo S.O.S. and ToMG being interchangeable dependent upon my mood.
I would feel very similarly:
1. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
3. Terror of Mechagodzilla
4. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
5. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't think the Kiryu films have a single redeeming quality outside of Kiryu himself. The characters in Terror aren't all that great but I love the action, the suits (particularly the updated Mechagodzilla), and I even really like the synthesized score. Outside of Kiryu himself I can't stand a single thing about Against Mechagodzilla. Funny enough your feelings toward Terror are pretty much my exact feelings toward GxMG. :)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pkmatrix wrote:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, easily!

GvMG'74 is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla films, easily one of the most fun, engaging, and just all-around enjoyable films in the whole genre. Great action, memorable characters, a catchy score, a tight and zippy story, plus some really wonderful suit and miniature work.
I think the core of my problem with Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - well, I say "problem," but it's not like I dislike the movie, I just like it less than a lot of other Godzilla movies - is that, while there's a lot of plot going on, I don't really see much story there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla has no characters, only plot devices, who are mostly interchangeable and hard to tell apart. Konumura and Nanbara are maybe exceptions there but only barely. I'd be surprised if anyone here remembered the names of any of the humans in the movie.

Terror of Mechagodzilla on the other hand is driven by actual characters like Katsura, Dr. Mafune, Ichinose, and Mogul.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

eabaker wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, easily!

GvMG'74 is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla films, easily one of the most fun, engaging, and just all-around enjoyable films in the whole genre. Great action, memorable characters, a catchy score, a tight and zippy story, plus some really wonderful suit and miniature work.
I think the core of my problem with Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - well, I say "problem," but it's not like I dislike the movie, I just like it less than a lot of other Godzilla movies - is that, while there's a lot of plot going on, I don't really see much story there.
Eh, we're probably just looking for and getting different things out of it, I guess. ^_^ There's plenty of story there for me - not necessarily anything deep or complicated, but at least on par with similar sort of spy/action/adventure films IMO and that's all I really want out of it anyway. :)

For me, at least, I don't see ToMG having much of a leg up on GvMG in that department as the only characters fleshed out much more than the characters in the first film are Mafune and Katsura. The story is a different one in ToMG, but IMO not really any deeper or more complex just different and differently structured.
Ivo-goji wrote:Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla has no characters, only plot devices, who are mostly interchangeable and hard to tell apart. Konumura and Nanbara are maybe exceptions there but only barely. I'd be surprised if anyone here remembered the names of any of the humans in the movie.

Terror of Mechagodzilla on the other hand is driven by actual characters like Katsura, Dr. Mafune, Ichinose, and Mogul.
They're stock characters, sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them interchangeable or hard to tell apart. And, honestly, it's about as hard to remember the cast's names as it is for most of ToMG's cast - I had to Google it just now to figure out who Mogul was, and there's no way I could name anyone's name (it's a miracle I even remembered which one was Ichinose).

Hey, if you're preference is ToMG then all the more power to you, but if given a choice I pretty much will always choose GvMG over it.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Part of it for me I think depends on what I've seen the most or had access to growing up. I had a DVD of Terror of Mechagodzilla, but had to rent Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla to see it. Terror might be the G film I've seen the most times actually. I know that GvMG came first obviously, but in my head Terror is the original impression of Showa Mechagodzilla and GvMG is the second.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Part of it for me I think depends on what I've seen the most or had access to growing up. I had a DVD of Terror of Mechagodzilla, but had to rent Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla to see it. Terror might be the G film I've seen the most times actually. I know that GvMG came first obviously, but in my head Terror is the original impression of Showa Mechagodzilla and GvMG is the second.
Hm. Yeah, I dunno. *Shrug*

I had access to both as a kid almost immediately after I became a fan (this being the mid 1990s so Showa Godzilla was easy to find everywhere on VHS), and even though I saw ToMG first I always preferred GvMG. As I've grown older I've reevaluated my feelings about both and while my opinion of ToMG has improved considerably, all that's really changed is it moved from the bottom of the pile to somewhere in the middle while GvMG has maintained it's "somewhere in the personal top ten" position.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I had at a ton of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla VHS's when I was a kid, it was ridiculous, one had the original title, one was cosmic, couple was bionic. I watched it more times than any Godzilla movie when I was a kid, and I still watch it regularly and it holds up just as well as I remember
Terror just doesn't compare I'm any way for me
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pkmatrix wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Eh, we're probably just looking for and getting different things out of it, I guess. ^_^ There's plenty of story there for me - not necessarily anything deep or complicated, but at least on par with similar sort of spy/action/adventure films IMO and that's all I really want out of it anyway. :)
Yeah, that's not really a genre I engage with very much, for the very reason that it tends to be so much more plot-driven than story-driven. It's just not my thing.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Are you kidding me? Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was just as thought provoking as Shin Gojira, if not even more so. Truly a Kubrician mind boggle
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

1. Terror of Mechagodzilla (easily one of my top favorites in the whole franchise)
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagozilla
3. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

The Kongfather
Yojimbo

Post by The Kongfather »

While all five deserve a revisit before I could rank them, the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is my top choice out of nostalgia alone. It's one of the most iconic standoffs in the franchise, with King Caesar, an otherwise awesome Kaiju, receiving the funniest ass-whoopin' of any Kaiju.

I really like how the Mechagodzilla films from the Showa and Millennium eras work as double features. I also think Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is brushed aside too often. It's the original Pacific Rim.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I like both equally tbh.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

If we're ranking all five:
5: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
4. Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
2. Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla 2
1. Terror of Mechagodzilla

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

If we're going to rank all 5... (for me, personally)
1: Terror of Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
3. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:If we're going to rank all 5... (for me, personally)
5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
That might be my ranking, as well, although spots 2 and 3 are pretty swappable depending on mood.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:If we're going to rank all 5... (for me, personally)
5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
That might be my ranking, as well, although spots 2 and 3 are pretty swappable depending on mood.
Yeah, agreed; 2 and 3 would depend on the mood. But more often than not, I'd go with Mechagodzilla II over OG vs. Mechagodzilla.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I would go:

1. Terror of Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2
3. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
4. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
5. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I think I like the first one better. Granted both films feature interpol but Nanbara is a ba. The Simian leader, again in both films sort of comes across as an after thought in ToM and he's a great character. Then you have King Caesar and Titanosauras. No hate for Titan here, but imo KC is just cooler. You have an aquatic dinosaur.. then you have an ancient golem lion deity. ToM also abandons the mythological approach ie, prophecys, tribes, deitys, of which is no real fault to the film. Personally I don't think incorporating it into ToM would have worked.. but it's a subject that was rarely touched by the majority of the Showa films besides the mothra films and I don't care much for mothra. It sounds like I'm bashing ToM but I'm not I promise. I just watched it the other day. I just like the first one more.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

1. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
2.Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
4. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
5. Terror of Mechagodzilla
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587