Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which do you prefer?

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
49%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
51%

Total votes: 51

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ranking the Mechagodzilla Films

Post by eabaker »

Hey, guys, I know I contributed a little to this "all five movies" tangent, but can I remind us all that we're in the Showa sub-forum, and this thread is specifically for comparing/contrasting just the two Showa MG flicks?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

I feel like I should prefer Terror, but it just doesn't stick with me like GVM does.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I understand why many prefer, and even love, Terror, but it's never quite done it for me. It's uniquely grim and dirgy, among the films in the superhero Godzilla era, but I don't find that tone really takes the movie anywhere outside the sheer novelty of a decidedly different atmosphere. I also feel it drags greatly at points.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, on the other hand, is one of my favorite entries in the entire series, surviving on pure energy and Sato's jazzy big-band score.

Re: The plot-driven vs. story-driven discussion on the previous page: It shouldn't take going too far back through my posts to reveal that I'm decidedly in the story-driven camp more often than not. But I'd argue that that Terror doesn't have much going on beneath the surface either, more distinct though its characters may be. I might argue that it's also a bit reductive of vs. Mechagodzilla's charm to call it plot-driven. Can anyone even remember the plot? I'd say more than anything, it's atmosphere- and spectacle-driven, in a way that could only have existed at Toho in 1975, and that is so distinct and good-natured I find it impossible to believe anyone can watch it without cracking a sincere smile.

Of all the Godzilla films with nothing going on under the hood, vs. Mechagodzilla is tops.
Last edited by Rodan on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I certainly crack some sincere smiles during the effects sequences; but in response to the human drama, alas, no.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla is objectively, a better film. But i do have such a soft spot for Terror of MechaGodzilla as it was one of the very first i saw - plus i prefer Titanosaurus to King Caesar :)

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Star Falcon wrote:plus i prefer Titanosaurus to King Caesar :)
Titanosaurus doesn't have his own theme song, so this can't be right.

Moeteiiiiiiru, moeteiiiiru
Last edited by Rodan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
Star Falcon wrote:plus i prefer Titanosaurus to King Caesar :)
Titanosaurus doesn't have his own theme song, so this can't be right.

Moeteiiiiiiru, moeteiiiiru
Yeah, if you really want to definitively establish the superiority of GvsMG, clearly that's the sequence you want to call our attention to...

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:Yeah, if you really want to definitively establish the superiority of GvsMG, clearly that's the sequence you want to call our attention to...
I find the fact that the movie breaks for a musical number kind of charming.

There's a good-natured belief in cinema as all-purpose spectacle there; one that would never really be possible again.

I don't know; so much of my fondness for the movie comes from how shocking its aesthetic is, compared to what the Godzilla series was at the time and what its script might call for. It's as surprisingly colorful and energetic as its sequel is dire. The script may be forgettable spi-fi hi-jinks, but it's all so wacky and stylish and enthusiastic I can't help but enjoy the whole ride. The minimal lipservice paid to the plight of the Okinawan people is also more political than any of the Godzilla films in the '70s get outside of vs. Hedorah, so it picks up a few points there as well.
Last edited by Rodan on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Rodan wrote:I find the fact that the movie breaks for a musical number kind of charming.
Honestly, this is what the Monsterverse needs. I would respect the HECK out of them if they ever gave a monster their own theme song. This is kinda the last great gasp of that showa-era trope (outside the Rebirth of Mothra movies, which had the concept kinda grandfathered in). To me, it's part of the fun- which is an element I highly value in my Godzilla films. Not necessarily camp, or goofiness, but just... fun. An enjoyable ride. Which is what puts vs. Mechagodzilla so highly for me (despite perhaps some flaws) and Terror of so low for me (despite perhaps some positive attributes being overlooked).

Vs. Mechagodzilla gives me what I want (or, in the case of a semi-disco theme song for awakening a lion-monster, something I never knew I wanted until i got it) in a G-film, for the last time in the original series. That will always give it a special place in the pantheon for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The song in GvMG fits, to me; KC is a mythical god character, as is Mothra. Both have 'songs', which is a kind of typical aspect for that type of character anyway.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:The song in GvMG fits, to me; KC is a mythical god character, as is Mothra. Both have 'songs', which is a kind of typical aspect for that type of character anyway.
I think it fits in theory, and like Rodan above, the idea of introducing something like a musical number into the movie appeals to me. But I find the execution flat, and ultimately nothing about KC's presence really pays off that well, so for me, like almost all of the human story in the movie, it just ends up feeling like filler/

Baranguirus
Yojimbo

Post by Baranguirus »

I really like both movies, they both have their own strong points. The first one has a very bad-ass introduction to Mechagodzilla and, in my opinion, the best battle in the Showa series, Godzilla and King Caesar against Mechagodzilla. The second one has INCREDIBLE city destruction scenes, and I love the fact that Godzilla faces two monsters at the same time, a tough new challenge.
I like both plots for different reasons; they both have very high stakes, and I really enjoy Katsura's character arc in Terror of Mechagodzilla. Plotwise, it might be better than the first, but I feel like the monster battles aren't as action-packed. A big point for me, however, is the soundtrack. While I do like the score for Terror of Mechagodzilla, it does get annoying to hear the same main piece throughout most of the movie. I prefer Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla's music, it's more varied and unique.
In the end, I feel like Terror of Mechagodzilla might be technically better, but I prefer Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for it's more action-packed and viscerally awesome feel it has.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
Star Falcon wrote:I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla is objectively, a better film. But i do have such a soft spot for Terror of MechaGodzilla as it was one of the very first i saw - plus i prefer Titanosaurus to King Caesar :)
Yeah, I have to agree on that last point; Titanosaurus looks much more practical and organic, like an actual living creature. I do like King Caesar, but yeah, he's kinda silly-looking for a mythological-themed kaiju.
More rubber suits, less CGI

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Baranguirus wrote:I really like both movies, they both have their own strong points. The first one has a very bad-ass introduction to Mechagodzilla and, in my opinion, the best battle in the Showa series, Godzilla and King Caesar against Mechagodzilla. The second one has INCREDIBLE city destruction scenes, and I love the fact that Godzilla faces two monsters at the same time, a tough new challenge.
I like both plots for different reasons; they both have very high stakes, and I really enjoy Katsura's character arc in Terror of Mechagodzilla. Plotwise, it might be better than the first, but I feel like the monster battles aren't as action-packed. A big point for me, however, is the soundtrack. While I do like the score for Terror of Mechagodzilla, it does get annoying to hear the same main piece throughout most of the movie. I prefer Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla's music, it's more varied and unique.
In the end, I feel like Terror of Mechagodzilla might be technically better, but I prefer Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla for it's more action-packed and viscerally awesome feel it has.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
Star Falcon wrote:I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla is objectively, a better film. But i do have such a soft spot for Terror of MechaGodzilla as it was one of the very first i saw - plus i prefer Titanosaurus to King Caesar :)
Yeah, I have to agree on that last point; Titanosaurus looks much more practical and organic, like an actual living creature. I do like King Caesar, but yeah, he's kinda silly-looking for a mythological-themed kaiju.
But King Caesar is a golem. He shouldn't really look organic.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GalacticPetey wrote:But King Caesar is a golem.
No he's not?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Maybe that was just a fan theory. Been a long time since I've seen GvMG.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Official materials show King Sneezer's body to be made up of stones and brickwork, so yeah he's somekind of golem thing.

In the film itself he's shown sitting inert in a mountain like a deactivated machine. Maybe he was 'hibernating' but if seems distinctly non-animal-like what with the statue that shoots frickin laser beams being used to find his hiding place and the prayer waking him up.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Terasawa wrote:
No he's not?
Oh yes he is.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
No he's not?
Oh yes he is.
When I was younger I never knew this and then I stumbled upon this image and attained a new found love for him. I find it unfortunate his backstory was never really explored.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Stevo_1985 wrote:When I was younger I never knew this and then I stumbled upon this image and attained a new found love for him. I find it unfortunate his backstory was never really explored.
Same! I think it would be amazing to see King Caesar's origin, also I like to believe that the war between Megalon and KC in ancient times from Rulers of Earth could've happened in the Showa Era. That would be one good reason to create a giant living Shisa!
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Terasawa wrote:
No he's not?
Is he not? I know you're one of the "in the know" guys so you always know what youre talking about, but I always thought he was.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: