Mothra Larva's Death?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Mothra Larva's Death?

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

If someone can translate this, here's the explanation to what happened to the second Mothra from Godzilla vs. Mothra
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mothra Larva's death

Post by eabaker »

That image looks like one from a book I bought in the 90s. I think I had a friend's Japanese-speaking father translate the passage, and, if so, that translation would have run in G-Fan #15, which I'm sure I have in storage somewhere...

http://www.g-fan.com/html/gfan_index/index_15.php
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've got a digital copy of G-FAN #15, here's what the article says:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Awesome!

Of course, looking back, "he" was the translator's choice, not rooted in the book but in his own lack of knowledge about the character.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Mothra Larva's Death?

Post by The Octopus »

In the film Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster its specifically stated by the fairies that the other one died when asked where it was by the little boy. For some reason in the US dub they say "Older one" implying the adult. Which doesn't make sense since it clearly and publicly died in Mothra vs Godzilla and I think a giant rotting moth carcass in a field just outside Nagoya would be kinda hard to miss, even for a dopey kid.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So thats what happened, kinda sad.

I always thought the second/dead one was male; maybe im confusing that with Tokyo SOS.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:[]https://i.imgur.com/3DvPEu2_d.jpg?maxwi ... elity=high[/img]
If someone can translate this, here's the explanation to what happened to the second Mothra from Godzilla vs. Mothra
I got that book. I don't believe it mentioned what happened to the Larva (unless I skimmed over it), most of it was just fluff regarding Godzilla vs. Mothra 1992, or some of the similarities between it and Mothra vs. Godzilla.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla inflicted a lot more damage to one of the larva in Mothra vs Godzilla, more than enough for an infant kaiju to pass away later.

Added in 8 minutes 26 seconds:
There was someone back in the dry era that made an article saying that one of the larva ate the other one but I never agreed with that theory.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The larva that grabbed Godzilla's tail certainly took a pounding.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I always just assumed the one that took the brunt of Godzilla's tail succumbed to it's injuries

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

So which is which? Did it die from its wounds fighting Godzilla, or did it just live to be the Mothra Larva in Destroy All Monsters? I'm a bit confused.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

In the film (which holds precedent over any fan fluff) its stated by the fairies that it died. How it died is never made clear. In those early films Toho seemed to care about continuity. I figure they didn't need the second larvae for Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster and simply said. "Oh it died".

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I mean, that's obviously what happened. Who knows, when they said the "old one" died, I'd assume they were talking about the adult one from 1964. One larva went to Infant Island and one went to Monster Island, and later Monster Land.
Case solved.

Maybe Mothra larva was the first monster on Monster Island, swimming to it sometime in 1964, who gives a damn :lol: it works

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, the "old one" reference is specific to the American release.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:Well, the "old one" reference is specific to the American release.
I know, but it works in the US continuity, like Selno being a Martian instead of a Venusian

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ It doesn't work because every one knows the old one died. Its kinda hard to miss a huge rotting moth carcass in a field outside of Nagoya. Even some dopey little kid could figure that one out.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ It doesn't work because every one knows the old one died. Its kinda hard to miss a huge rotting moth carcass in a field outside of Nagoya. Even some dopey little kid could figure that one out.
I don't understand... what does a .gif of some people looking at an egg and an empty field have to do with anything...?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Surprised this isn't common knowledge, it's directly stated in GTTHM that one of the larva died shortly after fighting Godzilla. It's the scene where the fairies are on a Japanese variety show.

It's very clear the adult one died as well, that's what the gif is. The momma mothra died fighting Godzilla outside a large city, the other one was a worm that went out to sea and either died there on the island.

In regards to Mothra, the one in EHOTD, is presumably the adult form of the larva from GTTHM. The larva from DAM is presumably one of the next cycle, because it takes place in the far future. Mothra as a species, given that it is also an insect, probably has a higher and quicker life cycle. If you also think about it the majority of life is probably spent as an adult, given that in its own film Mothra quickly turns from larva to adult. And of course these are kaiju films so some scientific and artistic liberties must be taken.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It's very clear the adult one died as well, that's what the gif is. The momma mothra died fighting Godzilla outside a large city, the other one was a worm that went out to sea and either died there on the island.
Ohhhhh, there's an adult Mothra in that picture, too, if you really look hard enough. I missed that the first time around.

(Have I carried the joke too far? Or just far enough to be comprehensible?)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Yeah, this has always confused me as well for some time.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)