A curious question regarding the Oxygen Destroyer device

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

A curious question regarding the Oxygen Destroyer device

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Curious question:
After Dr. Serizawa sacrificed his own life not only to kill the first Godzilla but also to ensure his invention will never be used again, what happened to the actual device itself? Has no-one over the past half-century since ever thought to go on an expedition , travel down into the ocean and search for whatever remains of that device?

I ask such because I've thought of an idea for a fanfic story involving that: an expedition for the Oxygen Destroyer.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Re: A curious question regarding the Oxygen Destroyer device

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Yeah, to contain it, it would have to be resistant to micro-oxygen. Wouldn't part of it have survived?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Yeah, to contain it, it would have to be resistant to micro-oxygen. Wouldn't part of it have survived?
The big heavy tube is only the container. The actual oxygen destroyer is a tiny pellet that appears to react with water. The container wouldn't need to be resistant as long as the pellets remain dry. And as we saw in the film, the device works by opening the water-tight seal and allowing water inside, thus starting the reaction.

By finding the remains of the container itself I doubt they would learn how to make the chemical pellet itself.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Woah, thats a pretty interesting question. Im sure the actual chemical would be long gone- and didnt someone in Godzilla vs Biollante have it? Just the container?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
The big heavy tube is only the container. The actual oxygen destroyer is a tiny pellet that appears to react with water.

I thought in GvD it was stated it could also be detonated on land, thus turning Tokyo into a graveyard.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:Yeah, to contain it, it would have to be resistant to micro-oxygen. Wouldn't part of it have survived?
The big heavy tube is only the container. The actual oxygen destroyer is a tiny pellet that appears to react with water. The container wouldn't need to be resistant as long as the pellets remain dry. And as we saw in the film, the device works by opening the water-tight seal and allowing water inside, thus starting the reaction.

By finding the remains of the container itself I doubt they would learn how to make the chemical pellet itself.
Ah. Didn't think of that. .
Now I'm positive that that dude re-discovering it in Godzilla vs Destoroyah was a miracle.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
The big heavy tube is only the container. The actual oxygen destroyer is a tiny pellet that appears to react with water.

I thought in GvD it was stated it could also be detonated on land, thus turning Tokyo into a graveyard.

Maybe if water was added to the pellet on land it would form a fast spreading gas and react with the air as it did water?

Just speculation though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The container might contain a small trace of chemical, but the pellet appeared to dissolve in the water. After years, all traces would be erased from the container.

However, Serizawa had more than one pellet in his lab. He could have missed one or two of them, then years later, when his house is in disrepair, someone finds that pellet while doing repairs.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I just wanted to know what happened to the actual container itself, that's all.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

It was probably destroyed or oxidized along with Serizawa, if not maybe buried deep as all the death it caused would pile bones and debris on top of it as it sank further and further down into the ocean floor. I think finding it would be about the same feat as finding a lone pellet in Serizawa's dilapidated home by someone who knew what it was and not just some random idiot who'd likely end up killing himself along with anyone unfortunate enough to be in his presence when he got it wet. With that said neither of those scenarios are very likely.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

edgaguirus wrote: However, Serizawa had more than one pellet in his lab. He could have missed one or two of them, then years later, when his house is in disrepair, someone finds that pellet while doing repairs.
Eek. Now I have the mental image of everyone in Tokyo dying horribly the day Serizawa's dilapidated, forgotten home develops a leak in the roof. :shock:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Zarm wrote:
edgaguirus wrote: However, Serizawa had more than one pellet in his lab. He could have missed one or two of them, then years later, when his house is in disrepair, someone finds that pellet while doing repairs.
Eek. Now I have the mental image of everyone in Tokyo dying horribly the day Serizawa's dilapidated, forgotten home develops a leak in the roof. :shock:
Jeez! :freak: This should be a fanfic.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Jeez! :freak: This should be a fanfic.
Consider it done.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sounds like it could be an interesting story.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Did the story mentioned here ever get written? And if so, is it on here or on fanfiction.net?

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Two things... the Oxygen Destroyer doesn't need water to work. Serizawa was using the tank in his lab because he could isolate that environment from the outside air.

The Oxygen Destroyer could be used dry, by simply opening the device to the open air, and having the chemical interact with the water in the air.

Secondly, Serizawa created the chemical, knew it's nature, understood more than anyone that it could not be allowed to exist uncontrolled, and gave his life to assure this. I find the idea that this man would "forget" some of that chemical, and leave it behind inconceivable.

I found the explanation used in Godzilla Vs Destoroyah, that Micro-oxygen occurs naturally, and its re-discovery inevitable, despite Dr. Serizawa's efforts, to be completely satisfying as a way of making use of the Oxygen Destroyer plot device once again.

As to the fate of the device itself. I always assumed that it remained on the bottom of Tokyo Bay, untouchable due to fears of its proximity to the final resting place of the monster, and any possible resulting radiation. Remember, only Emiko had witnessed the Oxygen Destroyer being used, nobody else knew what the end result would be. Everyone else likely assumed there would be remains.
Last edited by ApexOversteer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Have you ever tried finding something a the bottom of the sea? It's nearly impossible, even with the best equipment and divers. On top of having a large area to possibly be in the water was turned up quite a bit during its use which could have easily washed it away. There is also the natural tides, currents, and sediment on the seafloor. The oxygen destroyers remain are likely to sea forever.
"but they found Godzilla bones in Kiryu saga"
Finding something that large is way easier than a football-sized metal case

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzillian wrote:Have you ever tried finding something a the bottom of the sea? It's nearly impossible, even with the best equipment and divers. On top of having a large area to possibly be in the water was turned up quite a bit during its use which could have easily washed it away. There is also the natural tides, currents, and sediment on the seafloor. The oxygen destroyers remain are likely to sea forever.
Right. That and also, maybe I'm missing something but, what point is there finding said metal case? The bones of the original Godzilla could serve a plethora of plot points. A metal case housing a chemical that was likely instantly covered in sand wouldn't really do much. Especially not several years later.

Also, forgive me my ignorance here, but I took it that the Micro-Oxygen was similar, albeit different, than the Oxygen Destroyer. It reminded Emiko of it, but it wasn't quite the same. I could be wrong about that, though.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maritonic wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Have you ever tried finding something a the bottom of the sea? It's nearly impossible, even with the best equipment and divers. On top of having a large area to possibly be in the water was turned up quite a bit during its use which could have easily washed it away. There is also the natural tides, currents, and sediment on the seafloor. The oxygen destroyers remain are likely to sea forever.
Right. That and also, maybe I'm missing something but, what point is there finding said metal case? The bones of the original Godzilla could serve a plethora of plot points. A metal case housing a chemical that was likely instantly covered in sand wouldn't really do much. Especially not several years later.

Also, forgive me my ignorance here, but I took it that the Micro-Oxygen was similar, albeit different, than the Oxygen Destroyer. It reminded Emiko of it, but it wasn't quite the same. I could be wrong about that, though.
You could argue that the metal case might have traces of the chemical but its been underwater for so long any traces are probably washed out.
The micro-oxygen is described as being similar to the research Serizawa was doing. Emiko feared that it might lead to rediscovering the oxygen destroyer which opens up all of Serizawa's fears about it again. The research was so close to the discovery that G-force flat out asked the doc to make an oxygen destroyer.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

It most likely disintegrated itself just like it did to Godzilla and Serizawa.