Yoshio Tsuchiya Turned 90 This Week

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Yoshio Tsuchiya Turned 90 This Week

Post by HerryGrail »

I looked for the best place to post this, and the closest I found was the "Happy Birthday" thread, but it was for other members. Apologies if I've put it in the wrong place...

On Thursday, May 18, Yoshio Tsuchiya turned 90. I thought it was worth noting...he brought a lot of charisma to his roles, and I always enjoy watching him. I think he's particularly good in "Matango," which is a terrific showcase for its stars.

Recently he was featured in a documentary about his friend Toshiro Mifune, and in addition to being a Honda favorite, he appeared in many Kurosawa films as well. I thought it was interesting to read that he was the star of a very avante garde 1969 film called "Funeral Parade of Roses," as a nightclub owner involved in a love triangle with two drag queens. Then, on to "Space Amoeba"! What a varied career.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Yoshio Tsuchiya Turned 90 This Week

Post by Ivo-goji »

Cool. A lot of birthdays in this month.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I recognize him from IoAM and GVKG, but what movies are those other photos from?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Thats awesome! Happy late birthday to Yoshio Tsuchiya!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

Upper row: Varan; 2015 event
Middle row: FCTW, IoAM
Bottom row: GvKG; SoG; Seven Samurai

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Happy 90th to Tsuchiya-san! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Happy birthday. He's turned out several good performances.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I hope he had a happy birthday.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

He was fantastic in Son of Godzilla. The guy can do so much with just facial expressions alone. Its also cool to know he was a genuine fan of the franchise. Apparently he wanted to be in Godzilla really bad but was doing Seven Samurai at the time. So whenever he was on break he'd visit the Godzilla set to watch them film. Of course he'd finally get his wish the following year when Toho cast him in Godzilla Raids Again. He also preferred playing aliens to human characters. From all the years in the franchise and his general love of the genre I think it makes his role as Shindo in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah all the more meaningful.

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:I recognize him from IoAM and GVKG, but what movies are those other photos from?
He was also the disease crazed scientist in Son of Godzilla (one of my personal favorite performances by him).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

To me, he's just Rikichi. Can't believe he's still around, probably one of the few Kurosawa/Toho actors still alive from that period. Happy Bday
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tymon wrote:To me, he's just Rikichi. Can't believe he's still around, probably one of the few Kurosawa/Toho actors still alive from that period. Happy Bday
He's so goddamn good in Seven Samurai, and Rikichi is really more of a central character than some of the Seven (sorry Gorobei, Shichroji and, yes, even mighty Kyuzo).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

"Funeral Parade of Roses" is making the art-house circuit and getting some media attention in America right now due to a new 4K transfer. I just snagged a copy of the British Masters of Cinema DVD release, and Tsuchiya is extraordinary in an extraordinary film.

Director Toshio Matsumoto (who died this past April) says in the DVD commentary and in a separate interview that he insisted the film's non-professional performers, who Matsumoto culled from local drag shows, select the actor who would play the leading role of the club owner involved in a triangle with two of his star attractions. They felt Tsuchiya (who the director misidentifies as one of the samurai in "Seven Samurai") had the character's necessary hyper-masculine qualities while also emoting a sensitivity they could relate to their experiences.

I think that means Tsuchiya had a real movie-star quality, and it certainly shone through in all of his roles, many in very high-profile films. It's nice to see this notable figure in Japanese cinema history getting some fresh attention from American audiences and critics this summer. The new transfer of "Funeral Parade of Roses" is slated for an upcoming U.S. Blu Ray release—possibly through Criterion—hopefully with the British DVD's extras and commentary along with some new ones.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

eabaker wrote:
tymon wrote:To me, he's just Rikichi. Can't believe he's still around, probably one of the few Kurosawa/Toho actors still alive from that period. Happy Bday
He's so goddamn good in Seven Samurai, and Rikichi is really more of a central character than some of the Seven (sorry Gorobei, Shichroji and, yes, even mighty Kyuzo).
Good point - he really is the emotional anchor of the film, and has a more complete arc than most of the samurai.

By the way Evan, I finally got to see Kurosawa on the big screen: SS back in December here in Missoula. It was so goddamn epic.
Last edited by tymon on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tymon wrote:By the way Evan, I finally got to see Kurosawa on the big screen: SS back in December here in Missoula. It was so goddamn epic.
Awesome! That's one of the few I've been able to see on the big screen, as well; and it was very much like watching the movie again for the first time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

tymon wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Good point - he really is the emotional anchor of the film, and has a more complete arc than most of the samurai.
I just saw Seven Samurai for the first time in decades and was amazed by his performance, which really does sear into your memory. On the Criterion disc he's part of a documentary and relates the chaos when they filmed the "fire" scene, which kind of explains why there aren't the closeups and reaction shots you'd expect for him during such a pivotal moment in his character arc (to use your term).

Added in 2 hours 23 minutes 55 seconds:
Wow, I'm coming late to the news that Tsuchiya actually never made it to 90, that he died back in February at 89 but the news was delayed by family until about a month ago. I guess I was preoccupied with Hurricane Irma and other business and missed my usual updates, so it hits a little harder not catching the initial flurry of news in early September.

It's ironic for me that I've been catching up on his work this year, thinking he was alive, discovering "Funeral Parade of Roses" and hoping he was enjoying its revival, seeking out films like "The Human Vapor"...it's hard not to think it was his spirit that was moving me to do so.