Goodbye, Banno.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Goodbye, Banno.

Post by BlueGojira »

I am a bit late on this topic, as this happened four days ago. (at the time I'm writing this) On May 7th, Godzilla vs. Hedorah director Yoshimitsu Banno passed away at the age of 86. This thread is intended to be a tribute to him, not exactly a discussion. Banno was the last surviving director of the Showa era, and will forever be remembered by his loved ones, friends, and Godzilla fans alike..

SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Goodbye, Banno.

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I was greatly sad about hearing this in the general discussion.

My condolences to his friends and family.

It feels weird, not having any Showa directors alive anymore. Its like something is missing.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Really sad to hear about this. He gave us one of the most unique and memorable kaiju films of all time. The Showa era is further away from us without him.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

Godzilla vs Hedorah was one of the most unique entries in the franchise.

It's sad to see him go.

R.I.P
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Since everyone else (Dr. Professor, Destorogoji, etc.) seems to be doing it, I'm changing my icon to Hedorah.

EDIT: I'm most likely keeping this as my icon for a very long time.
Last edited by BlueGojira on Fri May 12, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why has this news not made the headlines on this site?

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

^^Valid question!

Thank you so much for your art, Mr. Banno! Without your vision, Godzilla loses one of his most unique escapades, and also doesn't become Legendary. If there is one man to thank for today's climate of the Monsterverse, and beyond, it's Yoshimitsu Banno. I wish I could have shaken his hand in person like I've been blessed to do with Haruo Nakajima and Mizuho Yoshida.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I will miss him. I never got to met him, but he made such a unique film for the series and I'm sure his legacy will live for a long time.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

And with Banno's death, we've lost all the Showa-era directors. :(

It's tragic that he never got to make that second Godzilla vs. Hedorah he always wanted, but at least he managed to make one more credit in a Godzilla film before his passing.

And just like everyone, I've made my avatar Hedorah in light of this. I'll probably keep it as Hedorah for the rest of today, if not until tomorrow.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Rest in peace, Banno. I loved your movie and especially your enthusiasm.
Resized Image

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I wish I could've met him. He seemed super kind and I have a ton of respect for him and all that he's contributed to the franchise.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

RIP Mr Banno and thank you for giving us one of the most unique entries in the Showa series, as well as one of the more memorable of Godzilla's foes. I wish Toho would have let you bring more of your ideas to life.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

We will remember you Banno! In your memory, I shall temporarily switch my avatar to Hedorah instead of a Ghibli character.
We salute you.

goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

Okay, so this is the same thing I posted in the dead celebrity thread, but I want to repost it here:

actually met Yoshimitsu on what may have been the greatest day of my life. I got to talk with him about his life for well over an hour, and he proceeded to give us a tour of Toho studios, and then we had dinner with him at a very nice restaurant up the road from us. He was a very charming old man, who loved to see young people so interested in his work. He even asked my professor to help fund his Godzilla side project for a mere $6 million. My professor left it in his other pants. He even tried to set his son up with one of my friends!

I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

SoleMan wrote:
I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Beautifully said. I couldn't have phrased this better..

I'm keeping this as a part of my signature forever. Banno would be amazed at all of us.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

SoleMan wrote:Okay, so this is the same thing I posted in the dead celebrity thread, but I want to repost it here:

actually met Yoshimitsu on what may have been the greatest day of my life. I got to talk with him about his life for well over an hour, and he proceeded to give us a tour of Toho studios, and then we had dinner with him at a very nice restaurant up the road from us. He was a very charming old man, who loved to see young people so interested in his work. He even asked my professor to help fund his Godzilla side project for a mere $6 million. My professor left it in his other pants. He even tried to set his son up with one of my friends!

I feel the opposite way, I don't think it "lays the era to rest" It leaves those who loved the era with a good reason to someday bring it back in some way. Banno's death didn't just lay an era to rest, we have lost one of the last vestiges of a great era in cinematic history. Lost is the creativity of the Showa Era, what's left is the beam-spamming grim-dark of the 80s onwards.
As long as the Showa Era has fans, it will always have a chance of being remade, with modern effects, but the humor remaining intact. Sooner or later people will want something that isn't horror/death/apocalyptic, and when that happens, an era similar to the Showa era will likely begin.
Of course, this is just my take on this.
Rest in Peace, Yoshimitsu Banno.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
SoleMan wrote:Okay, so this is the same thing I posted in the dead celebrity thread, but I want to repost it here:

I feel the opposite way, I don't think it "lays the era to rest" It leaves those who loved the era with a good reason to someday bring it back in some way. Banno's death didn't just lay an era to rest, we have lost one of the last vestiges of a great era in cinematic history. Lost is the creativity of the Showa Era, what's left is the beam-spamming grim-dark of the 80s onwards.
As long as the Showa Era has fans, it will always have a chance of being remade, with modern effects, but the humor remaining intact. Sooner or later people will want something that isn't horror/death/apocalyptic, and when that happens, an era similar to the Showa era will likely begin.
Of course, this is just my take on this.
Rest in Peace, Yoshimitsu Banno.
Well said, both of you. Im sure the true Showa Era will return, in the future.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

^^Agreed.^^
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Well said, both of you. Im sure the true Showa Era will return, in the future.
"through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight, so very far away, maybe it's only yesterday..."

It's not like I hate the new era, in fact I really liked Shin Godzilla, and I liked the American film too. I'm just saying, that particular blend of cinema is no more. It's like it's the same thing, only different. (How's that for some Zen wisdom?)

As another song goes: "The future's in the air, I can feel it everywhere, blowing in the winds of change..."
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I didn't consider GvH a favorite, but it was most certainly memorable. Banno helped the project that became Godzilla 2014 get off the ground and helped consult the creative teams at Legendary to keep their movie faithful to the real deal. Because of 2014, we got Shin Godzilla and the Monster'verse. Because we got those three along with Pacific Rim, the kaiju genre has been revitalized. Sayonara Banno, you went far and we won't forget you!