What if they continue the Showa era

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
RollDaDice
Yojimbo

What if they continue the Showa era

Post by RollDaDice »

This is just a "what if" topic, nothing to take seriously here

What if they brought back the showa era, at least for one movie. Just because the 60s and 70s are over doesn't mean we can't have it take place in 2010s.

I mean, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS took place in the same timeline as Mothra, War of the Gargantuas and Rodan.

If it were to happen where should it take place after Destroy all monsters?

What do you think? What stories you feel like the Showa era has left to tell?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: What if they continue the Showa era

Post by Ivo-goji »

A last grand alien invasion movie, but with Earth in control of the kaiju from square one.

I have this vision in my mind of a giant Ghoten-esque space ship opening its cargo doors... out of a shaft of light descends Godzilla like a paratrooper. Pan outward, there are a dozen similar craft releasing Anguirus, Mothra, Baragon, etc upon a city-sized alien mothership...
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Ivo-goji wrote:A last grand alien invasion movie, but with Earth in control of the kaiju from square one.

I have this vision in my mind of a giant Ghoten-esque space ship opening its cargo doors... out of a shaft of light descends Godzilla like a paratrooper. Pan outward, there are a dozen similar craft releasing Anguirus, Mothra, Baragon, etc upon a city-sized alien mothership...
Omg. That does sound very Showa. I would really like this to be made.

RollDaDice
Yojimbo

Post by RollDaDice »

Honestly, if they do make at least one film continuing the Showa era, I think Godzilla's personality will be a lot more jaded. He's not gonna be jumping around. I mean, look at him in Terror of MechaGodzilla, he had a more aggressive look on his face. But he's still gonna be the "hero" of humanity.

tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

I would like them to fill in some gaps by going back into the past in the Showa universe while also moving ahead with new ones as well! I would start with going back into the early 70's with a sequel to Godzilla vs Hedorah 2, followed by a 2nd season of Zone Fighter after that I would set the rest in present/future.

One idea I had is Gabra as a real nightmare monster who terrorizes kids, adults and other monsters alike in their nightmares. He would basically be the Freddy Krueger version of giant monsters who haunts you in your nightmares. It will take a few monsters to stop him, Godzilla, Rodan and Varan would fight him in the real world while King Caesar takes him on alone in the dream world.

Seeing how he is losing his grip in both the dream world and the real world!

Gabra does the unthinkable and uses his dream warping reality powers to bring back the once dead King Ghidorah, with the King Of Terror back alive and even more powerful then before. He wages an all out war on the other monsters while King Caesar and Gabra continue to battle in the dream world.

King Caesar is finally able to beat Gabra in the dream world and sever his connection to King Ghidorah who is no longer controlling him! It's not to long after that he decides to fly away leaving Gabra to defend himself who is still physical in the real world as well and then gets beaten by the other monsters.

Godzilla kills him by burning up his entire body and it seems that Gabra is no more. As Godzilla swims away we see the moon in the sky with an image of Gabra face with his big slimy tongue hanging out with long pointed teeth as he smiles downward singling that Gabra may yet still somehow be alive after all?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

They already did. It was Final Wars. It's totally 100% a tribute to the Showa series. :D :D :D
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Not what's being discussed. We're talking literal sequel to Terror of Mechagodzilla or DAM.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I would love that, but it must be done correctly.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I think It would be interesting if Minya got a temporary mother figure in the form of some sort of angelic bird-like monster, maybe some kind of Phoenix kaiju that dies/leaves before Dam takes place. Also what if we got to see the true fate of Zone fighter, maybe Godzilla and Zone killed Megalon (they stole Gigan, so why not Megalon?) and fought an army of terror beasts but Zone fighter dies? maybe Showa G gradually became bitter because most of his friends at the time keep leaving/dying?
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I actually have a story like this going on in my head right now. It takes place 20 years after the events of DAM, an adult Minya has been exiled by his father, while Godzilla himself is starting to grow old and weary a las Wolverine in Logan. Meanwhile, the Black Hole Aliens set the stage for a third invasion of Earth with a perfected Mechagodzilla...

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Gamera VS Godzilla.

That is all.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RollDaDice wrote: I mean, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS took place in the same timeline as Mothra, War of the Gargantuas and Rodan.
^ And Godzilla (1954). All of those monsters are part of the continuity, but their respective movies, aren't. Other monsters are part of the continuity as well, such as Varan and Maguma, (there is a Japanese book that lists all of them with pictures, along with the years that they attacked Japan; which are nearly all different than the years their movies came out). To be fair though, I'm almost certain the exact events of Mothra (1961) (along with Godzilla '54, of course) are in fact canon with the Kiryu timeline.
If it were to happen where should it take place after Destroy all monsters?
I think so, yeah. That would leave the door open to the monsters and aliens introduced in the '70s films. Obviously King Ghidorah (and I suppose Titanosaurus) would be dead, and having Mechagodzilla be rebuilt and show up again would be complete overkill, so we wouldn't want that, but other elements or characters from the '70s films could play a role somehow.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

There's obviously no 'contiuing' the Showa era, and I think it would be silly to play timeline/continuity games with an era that never concerned itself with those things. That being said, I would love a return to the tone of these older films, particularly along the lines of 60's entries like Mothra vs. Godzilla or Son of Godzilla - a nice blend of silly and serious. It's never going to happen, though. We're stuck with Grittyzilla now.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I dont know, I guess Hedorah would return, he's the only loose tie in the series

Added in 2 hours 23 minutes 51 seconds:
Thinking about it, the whole situation with the Red Bamboo was never resolved either, so there's that
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Like Tymon above, I don't see any point in trying to work in continuity with movies that were themselves not concerned with maintaining continuity. That strikes me as a particularly absurd kind of fanwank.

I also don't think there's a way of organically going backwards tonally/stylistically. Emulating a past era might be a fun, entertaining exercise, but it would be affected in a way those movies were not (as Final Wars demonstrated). That doesn't mean that I think the series is locked into a grimdark trajectory forever, mind you. But the franchise will always adapt to the times.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Toho should make a short film or something that truly honors the Showa Era. Heck, even a video game could work- something like Transformers: Devastation.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Cybermat47 wrote:Gamera VS Godzilla.

That is all.
Showa Gamera and Godzilla would never fight post-1964 though, they're both heroes. Now a Showa Godzilla-Gamera team-up, THAT would be badass.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Showa Gamera and Godzilla would never fight post-1964 though, they're both heroes. Now a Showa Godzilla-Gamera team-up, THAT would be badass.
One would assume that to be true. But in 21st-century logic *coughBatmanvSupermanCaptainAmericaCivilWarLegendaryGodzillavsKingKongcough*, no such principle applies. I mean, in the showa era they wouldn't have, but if this were set in the showa universe but being made by the wonky reasoning of the modern world, all it takes is a slight misunderstanding or conflict of interest, and boom- they'll literally be trying to murder each other.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Showa Gamera and Godzilla would never fight post-1964 though, they're both heroes. Now a Showa Godzilla-Gamera team-up, THAT would be badass.
One would assume that to be true. But in 21st-century logic *coughBatmanvSupermanCaptainAmericaCivilWarLegendaryGodzillavsKingKongcough*, no such principle applies. I mean, in the showa era they wouldn't have, but if this were set in the showa universe but being made by the wonky reasoning of the modern world, all it takes is a slight misunderstanding or conflict of interest, and boom- they'll literally be trying to murder each other.
MOTHRAAAAAAA!!!! YOU HAVE TO SAVE MOTHRAAAAA!!!!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote: One would assume that to be true. But in 21st-century logic *coughBatmanvSupermanCaptainAmericaCivilWarLegendaryGodzillavsKingKongcough*, no such principle applies. I mean, in the showa era they wouldn't have, but if this were set in the showa universe but being made by the wonky reasoning of the modern world, all it takes is a slight misunderstanding or conflict of interest, and boom- they'll literally be trying to murder each other.
MOTHRAAAAAAA!!!! YOU HAVE TO SAVE MOTHRAAAAA!!!![/quote]

:lol:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!