Rare "Cozilla" (Godzilla 1954 Italian Recut) Review

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Master Fwiffo
GPN Volunteer

Rare "Cozilla" (Godzilla 1954 Italian Recut) Review

Post by Master Fwiffo »

Found this linked to on Reddit. Apparently the sort-of colorized Italian 1977 recut, nicknamed Cozilla, has popped up online, and here's a review of the thing.

https://tomwatchesmovies.wordpress.com/ ... 77-review/

But more importantly, check out that sick synth theme song recut of Akira Ikafubes music. It's amazing.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Rare "Cozilla" (Godzilla 1954 Italian Recut) Review

Post by Bigdog »

Master Fwiffo wrote:Found this linked to on Reddit. Apparently the sort-of colorized Italian 1977 recut, nicknamed Cozilla, has popped up online, and here's a review of the thing.

https://tomwatchesmovies.wordpress.com/ ... 77-review/

But more importantly, check out that sick synth theme song recut of Akira Ikafubes music. It's amazing.
That remix is insane. It reminds me of the Halloween theme.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

The remix is strange. Doesn't fit well with Godzilla, but it's still good on its own.
Resized Image

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Cozzilla, not Cozilla (from Luigi Cozzi). SciFi Japan interviewed him too.

I would know, I'm italian
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I wrote my own review over on my blog, check it out :P

I was kind of surprised that this movie was just a colorized KotM with some added stock footage... for some reason I always was under the impression it was re-cut and adapted further.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Mechagigan wrote:I wrote my own review over on my blog, check it out :P

I was kind of surprised that this movie was just a colorized KotM with some added stock footage... for some reason I always was under the impression it was re-cut and adapted further.
As previously stated, King is very blatantly cheap-ified, transitioned from a frightening, thoughtful film to a much more Hollywood style horror flick. Again fighting the original film, one can sense that the filmmakers much preferred Godzilla himself to the metaphors clouding him (hence the very celebratory title) - building the film specifically toward his appearances, and doing very little of substance between them.
Hey, that's not true at all.

Indeed the biggest problem the film has is it's transfer floating around on the web is so old and damaged that it looks like garbage either way.

It would be amazing if this is what the film looked like properly restored.
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... igi-cozzi/
Godzilla