Suzanne Pleshette in American version of King Kong vs. Godzilla?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
HeatUpTheDeathRay
Ronin

Suzanne Pleshette in American version of King Kong vs. Godzilla?

Post by HeatUpTheDeathRay »

Hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere already. This has been needling at me for a few years now, ever since I first noticed it. I could swear that the voice actor for Akiko Wakabayashi's character, "Tamie," in King Kong vs. Godzilla (the "Americanized" version) is none other than Suzanne Pleshette of The Bob Newhart Show fame! Same smoky, low-slung voice. Has anyone else noticed this? I tried Googling and nada. I wonder if there is any way at this point to confirm it one way or the other?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Suzanne Pleshette in American version of King Kong vs. Godzilla?

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think it's neat when voice actors are identified; not that I'm terribly interested in it myself, but considering how few of them are ever actually credited, it's cool when an actual name can be attached to a voice.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I don't know if Suzanne was involved (I've been an online fan for well over a decade too, and this is the first mention of it that I've heard) but it would be pretty great if there was a way to find out.

I do know that legends like George Takei and Paul Frees have dubbed for kaiju films (Takei did voices for GRA and Rodan if I recall) but it would be terrific to learn more!

HeatUpTheDeathRay
Ronin

Post by HeatUpTheDeathRay »

Per IMDb, she'd already had a number of featured roles in TV and films by the time of KK vs G's release, and the year after she was in The Birds, so perhaps it's unlikely that she would have been "moonlighting" with dubbing work at that time. Do we know who handled the dubbing for KK vs G? It doesn't sound like a Titra dub, and since John Beck produced the English-language version, I'd assume he commissioned the dub himself. I can't recognize any other voices in the dubbing cast, so I assume none of the others, at least, were "name" actors. I guess it isn't terribly likely to have been ol' Suzanne, but it certainly does sound like her!

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Well, I know for a fact that Les Tremayne voiced several characters in the dub, so it's pretty clear it was an American dub.