GtTHM's Naoko/space lady subtext ("Does Naoko Shindo is gay?")

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

GtTHM's Naoko/space lady subtext ("Does Naoko Shindo is gay?")

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

While working on my reconstruction of the US version of Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster, I noticed some interesting undercurrents in the scenes where Naoko and the princess/Venusian/Martian interact - specifically, that Naoko was so friendly and affectionate with her (in the dub anyway; I'd have to rewatch the Japanese version) that it sort of began to seem like she was a little into her.

I typed up a Tumblr post in which I laid out the theory and my evidence; I've copied over the portion where I'm just listing stuff off:
  • She’s sort of coy with Shindo about the fact that she’s looking for her, though their being siblings could also account for her tone of voice here
  • She’s immediately super warm and sweet to the space lady when she shows up on the boat
  • She gets the opportunity to leave with the space lady and straight up ditches her coworker (he has to call after her, “Hey Naoko, I’m coming too!”)
  • She doesn’t take space lady to like a cafe or just anywhere they could sit down for an interview, she takes her to a hotel (and it’s not like the prophetess would’ve suggested that), like dang Naoko slow your roll
  • She constantly calls space lady “dear” and talks to her in a really sweet, obliging tone of voice
  • The first thing she does when they get to the room is have a coworker bring a bunch of nice clothes for space lady?
  • Her response to seeing space lady in that nice black dress is super enthusiastic and like? She’s been leading space lady around by the arms and shoulders the whole time but now she goes straight for the hand on the small of the back, standing next to her in the mirror and checking her out
  • She’s holding space lady and gently reassuring her as they head up the hill after the final confrontation with Malness
  • At the press conference at the end of the movie she’s closer to space lady than Shindo or any of her entourage, and barely takes her eyes off her the whole time

TL;DR: Naoko is definitely gay as fuck for the psychic space princess
One other thing that occurs to me is the potential symbolism - at least in the Japanese version - of her claiming to be from Venus.

This was pretty well-received among some other kaiju bloggers, austoundingbeyondbelief (ABB Gamma here) having picked up on it once before, and a great deal of discussion, shipping and shitposting ensued.

Seeing as TK on the whole tends to be more than a little bit more reactionary (to put it charitably, politically diverse), I didn't bother posting about it here since I figured the response would probably be muted if it wasn't outright negative, but I'm bored and procrastinating so fuck it, here it is.

What are your thoughts on it? Obviously I'm not suggesting that a Japanese movie from the 1960s intentionally included a canon gay subplot, but I feel like there's a lot of support for that interpretation and I enjoy it. What about you folks?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GtTHM's Naoko/space lady subtext ("Does Naoko Shindo is gay?")

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hm, that is interesting. I guess I never noticed it because I barely watch this film. Maybe she's just interested becuase the princess is possessed by a alien, is that right? The physical evidence does make kinda some since, but she could of just taken her to the hotel to keep her away from the onslaught of crowds of people. She also could just be holding on to her to reassure her that everything is okay. I may be wrong on some things. Who knows, the original Godzila team probably put alot of secrets :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

A non-sexual motivation can be ascribed to most of Naoko's conduct in these scenes. The prophetess is a big story and Naoko wants an exclusive, so she turns on the charm and takes her to the hotel for a private interview. The prophetess is very attractive and that helps sell news, so Naoko orders clothes. She even tries to impede her brother, the police detective, to keep her scoop. But she displays more affection than necessary to accomplish her goals. There could very well be a one-sided womance going on, which may not have raised the eyebrows during the more innocent times of the 1960s.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I mean, yeah, there's nothing about the film that just doesn't make sense without that motivation. It's not the sole possible explanation for any of those things. It's just that when you have all of them taking place together, it begins to seem that way somewhat just on account of how consistent and pronounced that behavior is.

(And again, I'm not saying I think it was intended by the filmmakers, just that there's a good deal of stuff in the film to base it on and I find it amusing.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

There's barely any affection shown between straight couples in these movies so I think people are looking for something that isn't there. She's merely being protective of someone in a vulnerable state, and Yuriko Hoshi has a spunky, flirty attitude to begin with.

The strong, positive female characters in Mothra vs. and Ghidorah is a big reason why they're two of my all-time favorites in the series.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never seen any romantic or sexual chemistry there. What I do see is a reporter who finds a big story and shows kindness to the princess to keep that big story. The first thing Naoko does after arriving at the hotel is call her office for a contract and a change of clothes for the princess. It's all work related. While Naoko is quite gentle with the princess, she's also forceful in keeping her in that hotel room.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Great Hierophant wrote:A non-sexual motivation can be ascribed to most of Naoko's conduct in these scenes. The prophetess is a big story and Naoko wants an exclusive, so she turns on the charm and takes her to the hotel for a private interview. The prophetess is very attractive and that helps sell news, so Naoko orders clothes. She even tries to impede her brother, the police detective, to keep her scoop. But she displays more affection than necessary to accomplish her goals.

I don't think I could've said it any better myself. Never saw anything romantic about it, just a dedicated ace reporter working hard to ensure...I guess, whatever the Japanese equivalent of a Pulitzer is.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

tbeasley wrote:There's barely any affection shown between straight couples in these movies so I think people are looking for something that isn't there. She's merely being protective of someone in a vulnerable state, and Yuriko Hoshi has a spunky, flirty attitude to begin with.

The strong, positive female characters in Mothra vs. and Ghidorah is a big reason why they're two of my all-time favorites in the series.
Not coincidentally played by the same actress. I feel Hoshi doesn't get her due, perhaps because she never played the femme fatale role in a sci-fi film or got the sexy roles, unlike Mie Hama (Key of Keys, You Only Live Twice, King Kong Escapes), Akiko Wakabayshi (Key of Keys, You Only Live Twice, Dogora, GtTHM) and Kumi Mizuno (Matango, IoAM, EHoD) , unlike her contemporaries. She is definitely the liveliest of the bunch in Ghidorah.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

She was probably being really nice to her because of her job, like in the same way the cute cashier you'll never have a chance at talks to you.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

People looking into things too much the forum post.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

She wasn't gay. Stop looking at things that aren't there. This is literal that dumb tumblr tier fan thing of taking two characters and assuming they are gay cause of X thing they did together.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I love this. Adds a bit more personality to some otherwise mediocre characters from an equally "meh" movie. Nice eye!

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Godzillian wrote:She wasn't gay. Stop looking at things that aren't there. This is literal that dumb tumblr tier fan thing of taking two characters and assuming they are gay cause of X thing they did together.
This. Especially considering the conservative Japanese culture and the time period.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Godzillian wrote:She wasn't gay. Stop looking at things that aren't there. This is literal that dumb tumblr tier fan thing of taking two characters and assuming they are gay cause of X thing they did together.
Yeah, guys. Stop having fun analyzing films characters in ways that they haven't before!!! Films should only taken at face value with no subtext whatsoever!!!

Seriously though, its just analyzing a character movie in a way that it hasn't been before. Was it on purpose? Probably not but I fail to see why analyzing a characters traits is a bad thing. :|

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Very interesting idea. I'd love for this interpretation to be canon, even if that's unlikely to ever happen.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Interesting idea. It would make sense if it were legit, and I'd be up for gay protagonists in kaiju flicks like this.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ah, the inevitable 'everybody's been saying the same thing and agreeing in the thread for too long, so four or five of us must create a backlash on the counter opinion' movement. TK, how predictable thy rhythms. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If you guys want to find gay characters in Godzilla look at the main characters in Godzilla vs Megalon. They definitely seem a little light in the loafers
BooLugosi wrote:
Yeah, guys. Stop having fun analyzing films characters in ways that they haven't before!!! Films should only taken at face value with no subtext whatsoever!!!

Seriously though, its just analyzing a character movie in a way that it hasn't been before. Was it on purpose? Probably not but I fail to see why analyzing a characters traits is a bad thing. :|
There's character analysis and then there's trying to make characters gay for no reason.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Godzillian wrote: There's character analysis and then there's trying to make characters gay for no reason.
A.k.a. the national pasttime of the 21st century. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Godzillian wrote:There's character analysis and then there's trying to make characters gay for no reason.
"There's movie analysis and there's trying to make a movie about a giant rubber dinosaur about nuclear terror."
Again, what is wrong with exploring the sexuality of a character? Why is that particular subject not okay to explore but other character traits are?