Showa Godzilla's boxing style

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Showa Godzilla's boxing style

Post by darthzilla99 »

I have been watching and reading Hajime no Ippo and now started on Ashita no Joe and so I am starting to learn about boxing. Since Showa Godzilla does use boxing, I thought it would be fun to see what type of fighter he is.

Is he an Out-boxer (Someone who Japs and counters a lot like Ali and Mayweather), infighter (close ranger powerful punchs with pressureing the opponent like Mike Tyson), Swimmer, slugger, ect...?

In Monster Zero, he did use a lot of 1-2 combos (Jap, cross) on King Ghidorah and looked more like Ali. Also in Zone fighter, he did a lot of shuffling with his 1-2s on Gigan. In both showa Mechagodzilla movies, he did a lot of close range hooks to Mechagodzilla in both the refinery fight and in Terror of Mechagodzilla. Also, when he fought Titanosaurus, he used a lot of uppercuts and body shots.

I know the makers were thinking whatever made the fight more entertaining, but I am leaning a bit more towards in fighter like Tyson. What is everyone's thoughts?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Showa Godzilla's boxing style

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla's definitely an infighter. He wants to get up close and personal with his enemies. He doesn't grapple or throw kaiju much (except in Godzilla vs Gigan), instead he sticks to heavy blows one after the other, counting on his own durability to shrug off his opponent's attacks.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.