Godzilla losing to Mothra: Is it THAT bad?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Godzilla losing to Mothra: Is it THAT bad?

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

One big problem many fans have with the original Mothra vs Godzilla is that Godzilla lost to the two Larva in near the end of the film.
But is it THAT bad?
Not really.

Mothra WAS the hero in the film. And in many films, you know... Anyways, if the story was changed to Godzilla beating the Mothra Larva, then how would Godzilla, the villain, get defeated? The military would have finished Godzilla off if the story had changed. Which is FAR worse than Godzilla losing to two caterpillars.

People were telling me on Hangouts and on YouTube that Godzilla did absolutely nothing but stand there.
Well, the Larva did sneak attack Godzilla and Godzilla took a lot in the film such as the military weapons, Electricity, and the Imago of Mothra, which her final attack most likely weakened Godzilla.
Well, those are my thoughts, what do you guys think?
BTW, I really enjoyed the ending to this movie. I thought it was good.
Last edited by ZeppandonConfirmed on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla losing to Mothra: Is it THAT bad?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I don't think I've ever seen anybody older than 20 complain about the battle. Godzilla was the villain. He needed to lose. People care way too much about Godzilla's powers and fantasy matches in general.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Less controversy could've been triggered if he had at least killed ONE of the Mothra larvae. Another route Toho could've taken is if maybe Godzilla retreated on his own accord.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

You don't kill a baby hero. Also Godzilla retreating on his own wouldn't have been a satisfying ending for the villain. The story wouldn't have been resolved. Godzilla getting webbed up by larva was the best possible ending imo.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dannybeane wrote:You don't kill a baby hero. Also Godzilla retreating on his own wouldn't have been a satisfying ending for the villain. The story wouldn't have been resolved. Godzilla getting webbed up by larva was the best possible ending imo.
Yeah, but don't forget in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Sinbad's starving crew members KILLED a newborn Roc that freshly hatched from an egg. I can understand why killing a infant would cause a ruckus (IF it was a human) but monster-babies should be not nearly as big a deal.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dannybeane wrote:You don't kill a baby hero. Also Godzilla retreating on his own wouldn't have been a satisfying ending for the villain. The story wouldn't have been resolved. Godzilla getting webbed up by larva was the best possible ending imo.
Yeah, but don't forget in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad Sinbad's starving crew members KILLED a newborn Roc that freshly hatched from an egg. I can understand why killing a infant would cause a ruckus (IF it was a human) but monster-babies should be not nearly as big a deal.
The Roc wasn't a sentient "good guy" though. Imagine if Kumonga or Kamacuras killed Minya in SoG. The fact that Godzilla killed the adult Mothra means the larva received invincible plot armor.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Nah man it was a great ending.

The real superpower of teamwork saved the day!.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:Another route Toho could've taken is if maybe Godzilla retreated on his own accord.
That would have made for a very underwhelming ending.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

LegendZilla wrote:Less controversy could've been triggered if he had at least killed ONE of the Mothra larvae. Another route Toho could've taken is if maybe Godzilla retreated on his own accord.
Outside of some 10 year old fans on Youtube, there really isn't a "controversy". Nobody cared about Godzilla losing to worms at the time, and hardly anyone does now.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I don't think I've ever seen anybody older than 20 complain about the battle. Godzilla was the villain. He needed to lose. People care way too much about Godzilla's powers and fantasy matches in general.
Generally speaking it just seems to be a small minority of fans below 14 or 12 that believe GOJFFIIRRA is INVINCIALBE and that he CAN"T BE BEAT BY NUTHING EXPECT GOD POWWER DESTROZYAH and can beat Superman into JELLEz.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Less controversy could've been triggered if he had at least killed ONE of the Mothra larvae. Another route Toho could've taken is if maybe Godzilla retreated on his own accord.
Outside of some 10 year old fans on Youtube, there really isn't a "controversy". Nobody cared about Godzilla losing to worms at the time, and hardly anyone does now.
Pretty much who honestly cares or should care? it's ridiculous to be offended by the ending or even worse "It RUAIN GODZILLRA FOREVER" and Tokyo SOS redeemed franchise by killing stupid Moth.

It was a good fight.
Godzilla

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe the real problem is that this movie set a strain of movies in which Godzilla lost to Mothra when really one was enough to prove the point.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It's not about proving a point, though. These movies are not a collection of analyses of monsters' strength/powers, they are individual stories, each trying to achieve its particular dramatic and thematic ends.

Besides, there really aren't a lot of movies in which Godzilla loses to Mothra. In the next film, Mothra subdues Godzilla and Rodan while they're busy fighting each other, but there's no attempt to show a real fight between Mothra and Godzilla. In Sea Monster, the two only interact briefly, in the midst of a chaotic climax, and all Mothra really succeeds in doing is escaping. In DAM, they're consistently on the same side. In Godzilla and Mothra - Battle for Earth Mothra needs to work with Battra to defeat Godzilla, and even that happens only at the cost of Battra's life. In GMK, Mothra and Ghidorah together can't take down Godzilla. In Tokyo SOS... eh, I've seen the movie enough times now that I really should know what happens, but it's just too boring for me to process and retain the information, so I honestly don't know what happens. And in GFW, isn't Mothra's only major dust-up with Gigan?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

No, since Mothra died earlier in the film, it was a really hollow victory for the Mothra twins, now King Kong VS Godzilla's ending I wish was changed to a draw.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Anguirus wrote:No, since Mothra died earlier in the film, it was a really hollow victory for the Mothra twins, now King Kong VS Godzilla's ending I wish was changed to a draw.
It pretty much is a draw. At the very least, it's ambiguous and lacking in a clear winner.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I don't think I've ever seen anybody older than 20 complain about the battle. Godzilla was the villain. He needed to lose. People care way too much about Godzilla's powers and fantasy matches in general.
Basically this. Structurally, it makes sense for him to lose. Fight could've been a bit more dynamic per se but it's not a story problem really
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never heard anyone complain about the fight. Godzilla was the villain, and the larva's victory gave them appropriate revenge for the death of the parent.

Godzilla is powerful, but he's not all powerful. The larva were also quite fortunate to have a battlefield that provided them with cover. It was brains against brawn, and movies typically favor the brains.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It's is that bad if your 12

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hell, even back when I was a little kid, I always liked the ending. I've never - not at any point in my life - had any problem with Mothra beating Godzilla. Both were giant monsters in my book. Both were cool.

Not even "Only if you're twelve" is enough to excuse the stupidity of this "controversy".
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

I however am SHOCKED and APALLED at this INSULT to the fandom! This ending alone is the EPITOME of what is wrong with humanity, and reveals TOHO for the MONEY GRUBBING greedy buisness they are. They just appealed to kids to try and combat Gamera's growing influence in the market, as this quote illustrates:
Lyndon B Johnson wrote: Our great President was not killed by a man, but by an insidious conspiracy by a japanese film company! By making godzilla a bad guy, Toho effectively shocked JFK half to death since he knew godzilla would have to losein this year's film. To all red blooded americans such a premise in unthinkable. The bullet merely finished the job that Toho started.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

No.

If Godzilla always won it'd be boring. It's good he loses once in a blue moon as it makes it so much more shocking going into a film expecting him to win and he doesn't. Hell if they ever do a Gamera vs Godzilla movie I would be totally cool with (and honestly want) him to lose to Gamera. Even Superman and Goku, the "gods of being invincible" have lost fights.

Godzilla being a villain and winning didn't really start becoming common till the Heisei era, and even then he was usually fighting an even worst villain and retreated to the ocean because he was too tired to carry on after the fight.