Talkback Thread #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Jirass
Monsterland Worker

Re: Talkback Thread #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)

Post by Jirass »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Jirass wrote:Want to hear something disconcerting? Not that it's exactly the most reliable barometer or anything, but "Final Wars" has a higher rating on imdb than Mothra Vs Godzilla. I wept a little bit.
This is why I do not trust the rating system on IMDB. If you want a much more articulate and thorough rating system for movies, I'd suggest Rotten Tomatoes and leave IMDB to the fanboys.
Oh I know. On Rotten Tomatoes:
Godzilla Vs Mothra 1964 = 89%

Godzilla Final Wars = 44%

But dig this: Godzilla Vs Mothra 1992 = 80%!! I feel slightly vindicated as a closet fan of TBFE....
Fire Rodan appears to have had a delicious caramel filling.
Shadow wrote:
Jirass wrote:Willy Wonka & The Mechagodzilla Factory
'Take a seat, at his feet, and prepare for you annihilation. It's nothing to fear, jump with cheer, for his inner workings defy... explanation.'

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

^Dear god...... :shock:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: This is why I do not trust the rating system on IMDB. If you want a much more articulate and thorough rating system for movies, I'd suggest Rotten Tomatoes and leave IMDB to the fanboys.
Agreed.

From Rotten Tomatoes:
KKvG = 37%

Then again, I respectively disagree with a lot of the things they have on there, like this KKvG rating.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jirass
Monsterland Worker

Post by Jirass »

KKvG 37%?? All right, that one is flat out wrong.
Fire Rodan appears to have had a delicious caramel filling.
Shadow wrote:
Jirass wrote:Willy Wonka & The Mechagodzilla Factory
'Take a seat, at his feet, and prepare for you annihilation. It's nothing to fear, jump with cheer, for his inner workings defy... explanation.'

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I don't subscribe to Rotten Tomatoes...but it seems to revolve around critic reviews mostly. And I typically think movie critics are as reliable as weathermen, especially when it comes to certain genres. Having said that, I'd be willing to bet that the way the Godzilla films have been reviewed and critiqued has changed over time. Also, let us not forget, they are most likely reviewing all the dubbed versions.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Keep in mind that most of these are reviews for the US versions, and we all know how hard most critics are on dubbing.

EDIT: ninja'd my GodzillaSpawn
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I don't trust critics' reviews of outre films in the slightest. And with something like Godzilla movies, where they're generalyl reviewing specifically the American edits, they really should be presenting those reviews with a giant qualification, because most of the time they're reviewing the Americanization process as much as they are the movie itself, even if they don't realize it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The dub wasn't terrible, but I didn't think it was impressive. The voice actors seem to struggle a bit with fully conveying the emotions, plus they have these poor sounding accents.
MONSTER ZERO, on the other hand, had a very nice dub.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I don't like this film, it never did much for me. Every time I watch it I get bored about 5 minutes in. The score sucks. I just...I just don't understand the appeal.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Space Hunter M wrote:I don't like this film, it never did much for me. Every time I watch it I get bored about 5 minutes in. The score sucks. I just...I just don't understand the appeal.
Awww. You're cute.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

I actually wondered...how the hell did that egg appeared and when?
If it did then where's the male Mothra?
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Gojora wrote:I actually wondered...how the hell did that egg appeared and when?
They explain in the movie. The typhoon washed it from Infant Island to Japan.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Gojora wrote:If it did then where's the male Mothra?
I pondered that for quite some time.......

Unless the Shobijin send her sperm through those creepy songs and Mothra gets pregnant.
But then wouldn't that be a female-creating female threesome?
Hm............
Ok just grossed myself out
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Mothra reproduces asexually. The egg is born via an expulsion of energy to summon forth an egg. That was the theory given in the ROM series and I say that's what makes the most sense.
What if she lays a small egg and it gradually increases in size as she grows closer to death?

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:Mothra reproduces asexually. The egg is born via an expulsion of energy to summon forth an egg. That was the theory given in the ROM series and I say that's what makes the most sense.
What if she lays a small egg and it gradually increases in size as she grows closer to death?
That sounds more like what occurred with Ghidorah. Mothra's egg seems to be consistent in size, more akin to bird's eggs.
Like Rodan :)

Jk, Rodan is a flying reptile, everybody knows that........ I hope……

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

he-ba wrote:Like Rodan :)

Well, birds are the closest living relatives of dinosaurs. A lot of paleontologists think some of them had feathers and such. Their skeletal structures are also fundamentally different from modern-day reptiles in a few respects.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

After rewatching this recently, it's wiggled it's way back into the number one spot of my favorite Godzilla sequels. There's just a consistent magic to this film - every special effects sequence is exciting, all of the human characters are memorable/likeable/well-portrayed, the pacing is excellent, the score rocks, and it's my favorite incarnation of Godzilla. The only real flaw is in the climax/ending - not the monster stuff, but everything else. Once the villains are killed, the human story loses serious momentum and doesn't go anywhere, and no interesting thematic points are made through the final plot points. It feels like a disservice to the rest of the film. IMO.
Legion1979 wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:I don't like this film, it never did much for me. Every time I watch it I get bored about 5 minutes in. The score sucks. I just...I just don't understand the appeal.
Awww. You're cute.
He's got a point, though...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Kaiser wrote:
he-ba wrote:Like Rodan :)

Well, birds are the closest living relatives of dinosaurs. A lot of paleontologists think some of them had feathers and such. Their skeletal structures are also fundamentally different from modern-day reptiles in a few respects.
It was a complete joke, I know all that, I consider myself a part-time-hobby-Paleontologist-thing.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

tokyostateofmind wrote:This movie really made it form. I remember little Hiro with one of those old children's tape player/recorders and going up to the TV and recording the songs. I made my first mixtape at age 4. I recorded all the vocal songs that were available. This movie seemed to be one of my favorites. I am still debating putting it on my iPod. I know the music left and right. I loved the story. I was first introduced to Mothra with this movie, and loved her ever since. Now that I am a big boy, I appreciate Ifukube's score more than ever. Sacred Fountain will always be one of my favorite songs to come out of Toho. My friends don't believe me when I say its from Godzilla. Truly amazing. Everything about this film is great.
I'm probably late in saying this, but you should have played the movie just for those who didn't believe you.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I honestly don't watch this film much. Godzilla is great, but I feel the film is kinda slow and boring in some parts. Not saying it's a bad film by any means though. Some parts are really amazing.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.