Logistics of Minilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Logistics of Minilla

Post by tbeasley »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
As far as I know, the closest thing to an official reference to the second Godzilla being female came from Haruo Nakajima years after the fact.
First. First Godzilla he said was female. It was the Americans who gave it the title King of the Monsters.
I see fans mention this all the time but an exact quote is never been posted, nor an interview excerpt, nothing like that. I'm really think it's just BS some fan came up with years ago and it's snowballed into yet another non-fact associated with this series.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

tbeasley wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
As far as I know, the closest thing to an official reference to the second Godzilla being female came from Haruo Nakajima years after the fact.
First. First Godzilla he said was female. It was the Americans who gave it the title King of the Monsters.
I see fans mention this all the time but an exact quote is never been posted, nor an interview excerpt, nothing like that. I'm really think it's just BS some fan came up with years ago and it's snowballed into yet another non-fact associated with this series.
He probably said it at a convention or something.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Read my signature....
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

And the title an American distributor chose for the movie has what diegetic significance?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I see Godzilla as male. Toho has always referred to him as such and characters in universe, including scientists who have studied him extensively, also refer to him as male. I'm open to the idea of a female of Godzillas species however.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've certainly always perceived Godzilla as male, and I think that's probably a nearly universal default assumption, but I'm curious, does anyone know of cases where the Japanese dialogue uses any gender-specific pronouns to refer to the character?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:I've certainly always perceived Godzilla as male, and I think that's probably a nearly universal default assumption, but I'm curious, does anyone know of cases where the Japanese dialogue uses any gender-specific pronouns to refer to the character?
Japanese hardly uses gender-specific pronouns at all, but without doing a thirty-film marathon to check, I'm fairly certain at least a few generally-male insults or informal pronouns are hurled at him (yaro/yatsu and the like). Maybe in vs. Space Godzilla or some of the Millenium films?

But, like, 99 percent of the time nothing hints at it one way or the other.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The older Mothra in ROM was referred to as female, but I can't remember any certain gender pronouns in other films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
eabaker wrote:I've certainly always perceived Godzilla as male, and I think that's probably a nearly universal default assumption, but I'm curious, does anyone know of cases where the Japanese dialogue uses any gender-specific pronouns to refer to the character?
Japanese hardly uses gender-specific pronouns at all,
That's actually where I expected any answer to end. :)
but without doing a thirty-film marathon to check,
What, you don't have three or four straight days to kill?
I'm fairly certain at least a few generally-male insults or informal pronouns are hurled at him (yaro/yatsu and the like). Maybe in vs. Space Godzilla or some of the Millenium films?
I'm almost certain you're right, and I'll keep an ear out for it.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Well Godzilla didn't laid the egg that Minilla came out off. Possibly a female Godzilla giving birth to such a huge egg, dies off from exhaustion and so the male raises the offspring, which could be normal in Godzilla's habitat.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Americans came up with "King of the Monsters" but it's something Toho adopted and uses to this day as the character's title, which they do with most of the other monsters. Thats all you really need to know regarding Toho's stance on Godzilla's gender.

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

My theory:

Image Image

....they did drink a lot of that stuff on the island. That Godzilla must have been a female in that film...and what we were watching was probably not really a brawl. :shock: