Anyone Going to the Rifftrax of Mothra?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Anyone Going to the Rifftrax of Mothra?

Post by Maritonic »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm sorry if it's not, I'm new here guys! <3

I saw Fathom Events is doing special screenings of Rifftrax for the original Mothra. Is anyone planning on going? There isn't one close to me, sadly.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Anyone Going to the Rifftrax of Mothra?

Post by Pkmatrix »

I want to, but I have to work instead. :(

My sister, brother-in-law, and some friends are going instead (of them, I'm pretty sure my sister is the only one whose actually seen Mothra before) so hopefully they'll have fun with it. ^_^

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pkmatrix wrote:I want to, but I have to work instead. :(
Same here.

I mean, fortunately I've seen Mothra on the big screen a couple of times before (including an actual film print, which this won't be, obviously), and that was without anyone talking over it, so I don't feel like I'm missing out that badly. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

eabaker wrote:
Same here.

I mean, fortunately I've seen Mothra on the big screen a couple of times before (including an actual film print, which this won't be, obviously), and that was without anyone talking over it, so I don't feel like I'm missing out that badly. ;)
I got to see it on the big screen when it played at the Landmark Loew's Theater in Jersey City a few years ago (one of the very few giant monster movies I've had a chance to see in a theater) and it was great fun. ^_^

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Same here.

Oh wow! That's awesome! I've only ever been able to see Gojira on the big screen (not counting G14). Which I've been able to see three times now. I was hoping this Mothra was in the area just for the experience of seeing Mothra on the big screen.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don't understand why anyone who actually likes Mothra would want to go to this. What exactly is fun about attending an event that relentlessly makes fun of a movie that you like?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I don't understand why anyone who actually likes Mothra would want to go to this. What exactly is fun about attending an event that relentlessly makes fun of a movie that you like?
For me it would be just to at least SEE it on screen.

But while they make of these films, they're also usually with love.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

You bet I'm going! I'm sure Mike, Kevin & Bill can poke fun at the movie without insulting it. I've never seen a Showa film on the big screen before, either, so I'm looking forward to this. 8-)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Rody wrote:You bet I'm going! I'm sure Mike, Kevin & Bill can poke fun at the movie without insulting it. I've never seen a Showa film on the big screen before, either, so I'm looking forward to this. 8-)

Awesome! Please post your experience on here afterwards so i can live vicariously through you! Have fun!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I don't understand why anyone who actually likes Mothra would want to go to this. What exactly is fun about attending an event that relentlessly makes fun of a movie that you like?

Yeah, I mean, I went to see MST3K the movie in the theater 4 times, partly because I enjoyed the commentary, but mostly because it was fucking great to be seeing This Island Earth on the big screen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I went to see MST3K the movie in the theater 4 times, partly because I enjoyed the commentary, but mostly because it was skreeonking great to be seeing This Island Earth on the big screen.

Yeah that really would be my main reason for going, would be seeing Mothra on the big screen. I'm sure the commentary would be fun, but it would be worth it just to see Mothra on the big screen.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I don't think "relentless" is really the right word. They're not really cruel; it's sort of like a roast. It's basically good-natured.

In any case, I won't be going as money's tight, but I'll definitely be interested to hear how it is.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well, that was fun. Before the main feature, we had a goofy old short called "Soapy, the Germ Fighter", which may have actually made me laugh harder than the main film. That said, most of the jokes for Mothra were pretty good. There were a couple of toy car jokes, and a lot of jabs at the dialogue (that dub, tho), but most of it was in very good humor. I really didn't need that comparison of the cocoon to... Um... "mothballs", though.

Seeing Mothra on the big screen was a treat by itself. The bluescreen effects were pretty obvious (and the group behind me couldn't help laughing at a couple of the miniature still shots), but oh, man, those city sets and Mothra herself! The larva suit looked fittingly enormous.

Getting my extra goodies online now. It was a fun night.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

It was a heck of a time. Shame on me for never going to a Rifftrax show before!
PACKERS WON THE SUPER BOWL!
TUSK!

GojiraDesu
Ronin

Post by GojiraDesu »

"My face is two-thirds catfish."

"I'm a baaaaad Bulldog."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would have liked to go, but there were no showing nearby.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Just a reminder to anybody interested that the replay of Mothra airs tonight. Rifftrax's facebook announced that they will not be able to sell the show, so this is your last chance to see it ever.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Hold on, I'm a bit confused. Is this like a live broadcast of the show? How do you access it?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

You go to a theater playing the stream. Not being able to sell the show must mean they can't release the commentary track/home video down the road like they normally would.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The guys who do Rifftrax are the same ones who did MST3K. What people seem to misunderstand is they make fun of movies they love, not hate.