Yumi Ito, one of Mothra's Fairies, Dies at 75.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Yumi Ito, one of Mothra's Fairies, Dies at 75.

Post by TheSecondComing »

http://www.sankei.com/entertainments/ne ... 02-n1.html
Gormaru Island wrote:Mothra's Remaining Twin Fairy, Yumi Ito, Passes Away At 75
It has been recently reported that Yumi Ito, the remaining sister of "The Peanuts", at the age of 75, has unfortunately passed away. With her twin sister Emi Itō, together they were known as the Japanese vocal group "The Peanuts". Together they made a memorable career through musical work and acting. But to G-fans everywhere, they were the memorable fairies and voices of Mothra during the Showa Series.
They will always be remembered within our hearts, and are survived by the warm memories they have left with thousands of people. They work shall be forever cherished. May they live eternally in peace on Infant Island.

Emi Ito passed away in 2012. As noted in the Sankei article, in addition to playing Mothra's Shobijin fairies, The Peanuts were so popular that they even made an appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

RIP to them both.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Re: Yumi Ito, one of Mothra's Fairies, Dies at 75.

Post by Komenja »

Resized Image

RIP. At least they're together again.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

These two are a major part of what makes both Mothra and Mothra vs. Godzilla so stellar. They were part of some amazing projects during their lives, both in and outside of those movies, and I hope one day both films, particularly the latter, get the critical re-evaluation they're due.

Bummed to hear this. Rest in peace.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Komenja wrote:RIP. At least they're together again.

I like this way of looking at it. Well said.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Heard about this on Facebook. So sad.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I agree with everything Rodan said in his post. Rest in Peace.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

How terrible. It's sad to hear that two beautiful voices are gone, but they will be remembered.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

They sang like angels. I've never heard harmony like this, before or since. Their song on Infant Island in Mothra vs. Godzilla always puts a hard lump in my throat; it's an astonishing moment...pure beauty in sculpted sound in the middle of that kind of desolation.

My wife is Japanese and the Peanuts had always been among her favorite singers, but she didn't see Mothra or MvG until after we got married. Though she isn't a kaiju film fan in general, when I showed her Mothra vs. Godzilla, she was mesmerized...and gave it high marks, afterward: the two of us agreeing that, among other things, having the Peanuts in a central role in these films was genius.

We were both saddened to hear when Emi passed away a few years ago, and I wondered what it would be like to be Yumi, living without her sister for the first time in all those years. Though I'm sure all of us would nevertheless have wished Yumi many more, happy years, Komenja is right...at least they are together again.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Ah this sucks. Just got done re-watching Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster. Shame she had to go, but I hope she enjoyed her time here.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.