Rodan Raised Baragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Rodan raised Baragon

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Rodan wrote: Baragon's relative popularity in Japan (enough to inspire a Pokemon, even) has always sort of baffled me, since outside of his Destroy All Monsters cameo, he was in exactly one film, as a villain, and it's hardly the most kid-appealing entry in Toho's '60s library.
Maybe it's the fact that Baragon is basically a dinosaur version of a bunny? Bunnies are apparently a huge thing over in Japan and having something with big floppy ears would be a huge draw for kids, no matter how the initial movies are. Basically the equivalent of kids watching South Park.
Are you comparing kids watching South Park to kids watching Frankenstein vs. Baragon?
One of these things is not like the other...
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Rodan wrote: Baragon's relative popularity in Japan (enough to inspire a Pokemon, even) has always sort of baffled me, since outside of his Destroy All Monsters cameo, he was in exactly one film, as a villain, and it's hardly the most kid-appealing entry in Toho's '60s library.
Maybe it's the fact that Baragon is basically a dinosaur version of a bunny? Bunnies are apparently a huge thing over in Japan and having something with big floppy ears would be a huge draw for kids, no matter how the initial movies are. Basically the equivalent of kids watching South Park.
Are you comparing kids watching South Park to kids watching Frankenstein vs. Baragon?

Same general concept. Kids see things that their age group weren't intended to see. Like I seen Terminator 2 , It and The Patriot when I was a kid. The way that it was worded made it seem the film was a bit darker/more serious.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

Bigdog wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

Same relative concept. Kids see things that their age group weren't intended to see.
How is Frankenstein vs. Baragon not intended for children?
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:

Same relative concept. Kids see things that their age group weren't intended to see.
I never seen the movie, so I'm just going off of assumptions. :oops:

How is it not kid friendly exactly?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Bigdog wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

Well, Franky does rip his own arm off at one point...

Probably wouldn't bother kids today, but back in the 60's the darker tone of FvB might have been a little much.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:

Well, Franky does rip his own arm off at one point...

Probably wouldn't bother kids today, but back in the 60's the darker tone of FvB might have been a little much.
Holy crap. That sounds awesome. I seen its sequel War of the Gargantuas. Probably one of the best Toho monster films outside of anything related to Godzilla. But this takes the cake.

I remember hearing that blood in a horror movie the 60's had the same effect, and it wasn't much. Now we have bloodbaths on the screen and no one bats an eye.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: (Deleted)

Post by Mechagigan »

Loving the new thread title.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, can a mod fix that please? One person's opinion does not dictate a whole discussion.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

DELETE!
DELETE!
DELETE!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Haha, what? "I'd like to tell Anthony what he can and cannot put on his own website."
I'm not afraid of Arbok or any other staff member. If they are offended, they are completely free to ban me. I welcome it. The fancy Prophecies of Nostradamus avatar is awesome. :)

It is my opinion that by including Toho's historical revisionism on the main site, Arbok is assigning undue weight to unsubstantiated claims that are not relevant to the critical history and discussion of the films, and cloud any further critical analysis by creating the illusion that these claims are somehow relevant to what is clearly shown on-screen. These claims are not from Ishiro Honda, Eiji Tsubaraya, or anyone else - they are non-canonical fancruft made up forty years later to sell obscure and irrelevant books to cash in on new kaiju films. If the relationship between Rodan and Baragon was so important, it would've been present in the final cut of Destroy All Monsters. It's not canonical, and it's not worth discussion. Toho can try all they want, but they cannot assign new meanings to films that are forty years old, and you can't try to re-define a film after it's been released to a general audience.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

JVM wrote:
Haha, what? "I'd like to tell Anthony what he can and cannot put on his own website."
I'm not afraid of Arbok or any other staff member. If they are offended, they are completely free to ban me. I welcome it. The fancy Prophecies of Nostradamus avatar is awesome. :)

It is my opinion that by including Toho's historical revisionism on the main site, Arbok is assigning undue weight to unsubstantiated claims that are not relevant to the critical history and discussion of the films, and cloud any further critical analysis by creating the illusion that these claims are somehow relevant to what is clearly shown on-screen. These claims are not from Ishiro Honda, Eiji Tsubaraya, or anyone else - they are non-canonical fancruft made up forty years later to sell obscure and irrelevant books to cash in on new kaiju films. If the relationship between Rodan and Baragon was so important, it would've been present in the final cut of Destroy All Monsters. It's not canonical, and it's not worth discussion. Toho can try all they want, but they cannot assign new meanings to films that are forty years old, and you can't try to re-define a film after it's been released to a general audience.
Wh..what? Why would you be banned? You're overreacting, JVM and this entire paragraph above me is you singing a completely different tune than you were just pages earlier.

What's "worth discussing" is relative. This may not be interesting to a few, but might be to others, but that much is obvious.

The Baragon tidbit is just a small part of the character's bio on the main site, and there is even a source for the information. It doesn't really have anything to do with the film, per se, but it's there to be digested by those that chose to do so. You can take it, or leave it. Just like people who willingly ignore all of the Star Wars EU because "the movies are all that matters". There's nothing wrong with ignoring it, or accepting it as canon. Neither side is right or wrong. If people want to discuss it, they have the right to do so.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

This is my least favorite thread on TK.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rodan Raised Baragon

Post by eabaker »

I feel guilty...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:I feel guilty...

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Goji wrote:And neither do you, guy. Such an edgy comeback!
I know I don't matter. I'm not some entitled 'fan' who demands movies and such should pander towards me. But Toho's written and drawn word > your little opinions on a forum they probably want nothing to do with. -_-
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Goji wrote:And neither do you, guy. Such an edgy comeback!
I know I don't matter. I'm not some entitled 'fan' who demands movies and such should pander towards me. But Toho's written and drawn word > your little opinions on a forum they probably want nothing to do with. -_-
And here I am, opening my big... post writing... fingers... again.

Where a specific movie is concerned, literally the only thing that is relevant is what is in that movie's final cut. If it's not in frame, it doesn't exist.

Some Toho employees writing/drawing a cute little joke decades after the movie was produced has no more bearing on the actual content of Destroy All Monsters than does your opinion, Goji's opinion, or a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters.

"Rodan raised Baragon" is a cute little idea to play with. But it has no bearing on the deigesis of any pre-existing movies.

EDIT: Sorry, looking back I realize that this little tussle was more about the RoM movies than about DAM. The point still stands, though: If it's not in the movie, it's not of the movie. Extratextual and even paratextual materials do not define the text.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Out of a thousand monkeys, one of them will be right 99 percent of the time.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I seriously wish all of these previously banned people weren't let back in here.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.