Rodan Raised Baragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Rodan raised Baragon

Post by Ivo-goji »

When the male Rodan lost the female Rodan, he decided he needed a child to fill the void.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

My reaction to this bit of trivia:

OOT: Post #2200! :)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Uh what about Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: All Monsters Out Attack?
He was popular well before that.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(Deleted)
Last edited by JVM on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Missingno. wrote:I... I've given up. Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle, there was apparently two MOGUERAs in GvSG, and now this. What's next, we learn that Jet Jaguar really is King Kong in a robot suit?!
Wait! There were two MOGUERAS in GvsSG, can someone send me a link to this discussion.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote:Wait! There were two MOGUERAS in GvsSG, can someone send me a link to this discussion.
Kind of. Look no further than: http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/moguera_heisei.htm#m (Scroll down for Moguera II - SRF)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

This gives me a mental image of Rodan regurgitating food into a Baby Baragon's mouth :P

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

B34sT wrote:This gives me a mental image of Rodan regurgitating food into a Baby Baragon's mouth :P
*Rubs eyes* Now someone is gonna draw that...
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I'm curious to know where this information came from. Not that I doubt its validity.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I'm curious to know where this information came from. Not that I doubt its validity.
From the bio:
The fact related to Baragon being born in the Gunma Prefecture and raised by Rodan comes from the 1993 publication Everything About Godzilla Movies (ISBN 9784054002166). The book does not note which Baragon its talking about, but is assumed to be the one from Destroy All Monsters (1968) which would have more naturally come into contact with Rodan.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

JVM wrote:
When the male Rodan lost the female Rodan, he decided he needed a child to fill the void.
I never thought I'd use this image on this board in my cynical old age, but by God...
But ... wasn't the idea of two differently gendered Rodan purely a product of the U.S. cut?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
JVM wrote:
I never thought I'd use this image on this board in my cynical old age, but by God...
But ... wasn't the idea of two differently gendered Rodan purely a product of the U.S. cut?
Was it? I mean, I don't remember it being outright stated in the Japanese cut the way it is in the U.S. version, but I always interpreted it that way. Maybe that's just because the U.S. cut had already so completely defined the way I read the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:Was it? I mean, I don't remember it being outright stated in the Japanese cut the way it is in the U.S. version, but I always interpreted it that way. Maybe that's just because the U.S. cut had already so completely defined the way I read the movie.
Now I want to watch it again to make sure, but I distinctly remember waiting for that line to come up the first time I saw the Japanese version, and it never does. I don't remember it even being implied. I think the U.S. cut also inserts some dialogue at the end about their being mates which is definitely not present in the original.

For what it's worth, even the Wikipedia synopsis (a fairly detailed one) makes no mention of them being mates or different genders. It's just "a second Rodan."

I do think it's a change for the better, though, so kudos to King Brothers.

EDIT -- Wikipedia does mention them being "mates" in the very last sentence of its synopsis. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I'll have to keep an eye out for this next time I watch it.
Last edited by Rodan on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
eabaker wrote:Was it? I mean, I don't remember it being outright stated in the Japanese cut the way it is in the U.S. version, but I always interpreted it that way. Maybe that's just because the U.S. cut had already so completely defined the way I read the movie.
Now I want to watch it again to make sure, but I distinctly remember waiting for that line to come up the first time I saw the Japanese version, and it never does. I don't remember it even being implied. I think the U.S. cut also inserts some dialogue at the end about their being mates which is definitely not present in the original.

For what it's worth, even the Wikipedia synopsis (a fairly detailed one) makes no mention of them being mates or different genders. It's just "a second Rodan."

I do think it's a change for the better, though, so kudos to King Brothers.
Yeah, I mean, the basic contrast of the unity of the Rodans - one preferring to die with the other rather than live alone - with the squabbling and fighting among the humans doesn't require them to be mates, but the ending - and in particular Shigeru and Kiyo's reactions - definitely has a lot more resonance if they are mates.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kinda strange that Rodan would take a surrogate like Baragon given how vastly different they are but such a thing is not uncommon in the real world. Either way, it's still kind of cute.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The Rodan 'mates' is kind of a better plot element than simply a second monster, anyway. I've only seen the english cut, but it's a nice little detail.

Godzilla18
Samurai

Post by Godzilla18 »

As a Baragon fan, all I can say is.....wow.
A monster? A king? A god? Or is Godzilla all three?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(Deleted)
Last edited by JVM on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

With its friend gone, Rodan must have been lonely. It's not impossible for two different animals, or even species, to become friends. Baragon has always struck me as a solitary creature, but I suppose Baragon wouldn't mind Rodan sharing food and territory.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I guess so…
Toho, you weird so sonsofabitches
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: