Rodan Raised Baragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Re: Rodan raised Baragon

Post by kamilleblu »

Both Godzilla and Rodan settled down and raised a child of their own after Ghidrah and Monster Zero? Kind of neat I suppose.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Are we... are we really on page three of a discussion about a piece of light-hearted extra-textual retcon?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

eabaker wrote:Are we... are we really on page three of a discussion about a piece of light-hearted extra-textual retcon?
It's stuff like this that helps build character for the kaiju, makes them deeper than just chaotic-neutral giant monsters. Adds some nice lore to the franchise. I love tidbits like this.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
eabaker wrote:Are we... are we really on page three of a discussion about a piece of light-hearted extra-textual retcon?
It's stuff like this that helps build character for the kaiju, makes them deeper than just chaotic-neutral giant monsters. Adds some nice lore to the franchise. I love tidbits like this.
I mean, I like stuff like this as playful hypothetical discussion, but I just can't get my head around talking about it as though it has some genuine relevance to the diegesis of any of the movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Oh it has no relevance for sure but it's fun to have. Kind of a shame we never got a scene where Rodan protects Baragon from an attack. I see them as kind of like Piccolo and Gohan from DBZ.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I see it as retcon
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

It may be a retcon, but it's one I can easily get behind as its a nice little detail that helps flesh out Rodan and Baragon as characters in DAM. :) (Plus, I think we can all agree that the very idea is adorable!)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

What if it's not the Baragon from DAM though? What if it's the original Baragon? Raised by Rodan to slaughter humanity?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Pkmatrix wrote:It may be a retcon, but it's one I can easily get behind as its a nice little detail that helps flesh out Rodan and Baragon as characters in DAM. :)
But there are no characters in DAM(!).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Pkmatrix wrote:It may be a retcon, but it's one I can easily get behind as its a nice little detail that helps flesh out Rodan and Baragon as characters in DAM. :) (Plus, I think we can all agree that the very idea is adorable!)
It's certainly adorable, and I'd be 100% behind future product designed to follow up DAM treating it as canon.

The thing with retcon, for me, is that it doesn't redefine the earlier work, it only recontextualizes derivative output.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

This is a stupid revelation, but it's also kind of cute.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(Deleted)
Last edited by JVM on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The movies also don't really explore relationships between kaiju. We see that certain kaiju are allies, or there's father and son/brother connections. Rodan and Baragon make for a nice addition, but it adds basically nothing to the movies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

We also learned that at least One baragon was made by the same people who made Daghra.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Ares
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Ares »

Space Hunter M wrote:Image
(x)
Lmao!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:We also learned that at least One baragon was made by the same people who made Daghra.
What?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

The only reaction to this revelation that I can think of is... Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tearsofjoy: <3 <3 <3 So cuuuUUUUTTTTTTTEEEEE!!!

Hikari
GPN Volunteer

Post by Hikari »

I think this is very interesting. Nice to learn something new about the Showa continuity.
May or may have not just came here for the Ultra-Thread.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Goji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:We also learned that at least One baragon was made by the same people who made Daghra.
What?
Godzillian discovered a bunch of books that went deeper into the mythology of the ROM Series and discovered that the same race that made Daghra also made Baragon as well as other things in that Universe. though it's been a long while since I looked at those threads so I might be remembering wrong I'll try and dig them up later.
Godzilla

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's...dumb. The ROM films are self contained, as far as I'm concerned. They're not connected to anything else, and just so happen to feature other Toho kaiju. The idea of Baragon being "created" is just too random, considering he wasn't even featured in any of the ROM films, anyway.

I'm more than okay with Baragon simply being what he's always been; a survivor of the prehistoric era, just like Godzilla, Rodan, and Anguirus have always been.
Last edited by Goji on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.