Gabara, most hated/obscure monster?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Gabara, most hated/obscure monster?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gabara, the main antagonist of a Godzilla film rarely ever gets mentioned even on the forums. While yes, his film isn't so great, he seems to not even be worth mentioning. Whenever you hear about AMA it's always in relation to the children and atrocious stock footage, Gabara isn't even brought up most of the time.

He's one of the few Godzilla monsters to have no appearances in the Godzilla IDW series (bear in mind Gorosaurus, Manda, Gezora and even Kameobas have all appeared), and I just never see him really talked about.

On top of that, other more obscure kaiju seem to have more figures or more fans. And then even joke kaiju like The Giant Condor have their own ridiculous fanbases out of irony.

I'm just wondering where the love for Gabara is. I actually think despite the quality of the film he could be cool if he got an update and appeared in a more serious film. I like his design in how simple it is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Gabara, most hated/obscure monster?

Post by GigaBowserG »

I don't hate him. He's just not particularly interesting. He's a mutant toad creature from a kid's dreams that parallels a real-life bully from the movie, and he has electro-fingers. And a weird roar. Probably one of the more interesting things about him is how his head was a modified Godzilla head.

I wouldn't be opposed to him showing up again, though I do feel a little bad not realizing how he was omitted from the IDW series so far... Even Ganimes had a cameo in one of the issues.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think most people glance over Gabara simply because his one film is far from the most liked film in the franchise. I feel like he could have worked as a monster Godzilla fought in the 70s, but since he only appeared in AMA, he's kinda fallen into obscurity.

You reminded me, is there a list somewhere of all the monsters who've appeared in the IDW comics?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:I think most people glance over Gabara simply because his one film is far from the most liked film in the franchise. I feel like he could have worked as a monster Godzilla fought in the 70s, but since he only appeared in AMA, he's kinda fallen into obscurity.

You reminded me, is there a list somewhere of all the monsters who've appeared in the IDW comics?
Maybe hated was a wrong word, but obscurity is relevant. But for a main antagonist in a lot of ways he's more obscure then other side kaiju.

And there's no proper list, but basically everyone from direct entries from Godzilla films but Minya/Little Godzilla+Gabara has appeared thus far. Monsters like Dogora and the Rebirth of Mothra Kaiju are absent.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I really like the idea behind Gabara. He's basically a demonic ogre creature. He's actually rather unique for a kaiju too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Wouldn't say hated TBH just rather more obscure considering he's from one Godzilla fans consider the worst Godzilla movie ever made which they try to forget ever existed.

I for one think Gabara is kind of cool in his own right, it's a take on Ogres of japanese folklore who has electric powers. The design could've been done better though. :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I like him, he's an alright Kaiju (for his time) I wouldn't really want to see him return, but for what his role was, I liked it.
Also pretty cool he was originally an unused Godzilla suit
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, he definitely has his fans. There's at least one other thread like this, buried a few pages back.

I'm one of said fans, and in the camp that likes Godzilla's Revenge in general. Gabara is unusual for the Godzilla series, certainly, but that's part of the appeal. He stands out, with a unique design and roar, and is one of the few Toho kaiju directly based on a creature from Japanese folklore.

For potential future appearances, I've always liked the idea that he comes from another dimension but drifts randomly in and out of our world for a few minutes at a time. That would bring the "does he actually exist in the Godzilla universe, or was he just imaginary?" debate into the G-verse itself, with witnesses having little or no evidence to prove that they ever saw him at all.

He could also work well as a general 'thug' monster, if the need ever arises. Maybe he could team up with Megalon, or something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

While he isn't in my top 5 I will say I do love Gabara. I always thought it would be cool if they updated him as some type of freddy krueger-esque nightmare monster Godzilla had to fight.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

JAGzilla wrote:That would bring the "does he actually exist in the Godzilla universe, or was he just imaginary?" debate...
Never actually thought about that... I suppose he actually wouldn't exist to the general world, seeing as he was just in Ichiro's mind.

Off-Topic - Maybe a headcanon theory for AMA's stock footage could be that, seeing as Son of Godzilla (etc) took place before this, and Ichiro was dreaming, perhaps he read about the stock-footage fights in the paper (or saw it on the news, heard about it, etc) and simply re-imagined them.

Anyhow, I think Gabara is just unremarkable. He served his role fine; a mindless, child-friendly bully character. Frankly, I could go without seeing him again... the only interesting route I feel like he could be taken toward is some sort of Nightmare On Elm Street-esque story where he terrorizes dreams and imaginary situations, yet somehow causes real damage. I'm just not huge on his design (too disproportionate as "suit"-y) or his powers.

Interesting he appeared in Go! Godman, though.

Also, this should probably be merged with the (I'm assuming) existing Gabara thread.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I like to see it as, in AMA, Godzilla is a fictional character, and Ichiro is a Godzilla fan, dreaming scenes from other Godzilla movies he had watched
The bull mark Godzilla figure Ichiro has could be a sign to this (yes I'm aware that doesn't prove that, since Godzilla toys are shown in Hedorah and Final Wars) but yeah

And in that, I think Gabara makes for the perfect "imagenary monster"
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Okay, I can't find the old thread I mentioned. It either hasn't been posted in for three+ years, was deleted, or was never about Gabara specifically to begin with. *shrug* I've seen conversations like this one before, anyway.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I like to see it as, in AMA, Godzilla is a fictional character, and Ichiro is just dreaming scenes from other Godzilla movies, it'd be pretty interesting.
I always viewed it as such.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The origins for the Crackler in Godzilla the Series would be perfect for an updated Gabara origin. He was partially an homage to Gabara after all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gabara isn't hated, but he isn't a memorable kaiju either. I like Gabara's design, but he doesn't have much else going for him. With a proper makeover and film idea, I wouldn't mind seeing Gabara back.

I think the biggest trouble is that people judge Gabara based on the movie he's in. It gets cold reviews by most, and so Gabara gets it as well. However, he was quite the cut up in the toons.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

I like Gabara. Yeah I can see some people's opinions about Gabara not fitting in the Godzilla series and the film being filled with stock footage, but I still thin the idea of Gabara as a Oni creature that exists in a child's dreams is a clever idea.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I kind of like Gabara. His powers are pretty bland though, but he's an oni/demon, so there's that. The movie he was in just wasn't a good one, causing him to be overlooked by most.
Resized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

What if they take the idea like u guys have been saying, him being an ogre demon thing, but in an updated story. Origin story: Like what if there r those physic children( just like the heisei series) but they have nightmares of the impending doom of a kaiju attack, and thier mind waves cause all of thier nightmares to come togethor and create Gabara.

U guys have any other ideas or add ons to mine?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What if they take the idea like u guys have been saying, him being an ogre demon thing, but in an updated story. Origin story: Like what if there r those physic children( just like the heisei series) but they have nightmares of the impending doom of a kaiju attack, and thier mind waves cause all of thier nightmares to come togethor and create Gabara.

That sounds like a pretty creative idea.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

soulgodzilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What if they take the idea like u guys have been saying, him being an ogre demon thing, but in an updated story. Origin story: Like what if there r those physic children( just like the heisei series) but they have nightmares of the impending doom of a kaiju attack, and thier mind waves cause all of thier nightmares to come togethor and create Gabara.

That sounds like a pretty creative idea.
Thanks
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos