Scrapped Animated Godzilla Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Scrapped Animated Godzilla Movie

Post by Godzillian »

So apparently while the Hannah Barbera Godzilla show was in production Henry G. Saperstein suggested Toho create their own animated Godzilla film. Tanaka toyed with the idea but it never went any where. It was reported in the New York Times and in the book A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Scrapped Animated Godzilla Movie

Post by Bigdog »

1970's animation with cheap production values like the time? Yeah, that would've been great if it was done by the people behind Watership Down. Just imagine if they did a film distant from the kid friendly value without the effects restrictions of the time? Insane carnage, man. Insane carnage. Too bad Joseph Barbera never got to realize his vision for the cartoon because like very little if anything came from his ideas.

Now if it was the 1980's where animation began to get better done, with the animation by Ghibli's? Sign me up.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Actually, if this is the same project we've discussed in the Heisei forum then I do think it was an '80s project not a Showa project.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

The only thing that's coming in mind when I think 80's and America was the Ultraman cartoon film made from a few episodes of the scrapped series. If Godzilla got the same treatment, I'd rather it not happen. The story was okay, if not a little bit hokey, but the animation was horrendous. An 80's project with a dedicated animation studio and a director that wanted to bring Godzilla back to his terror roots, while doing things effects couldn't do at the time, would have been an interesting project. I can imagine a Godzilla vs. Biollante movie where Ralph Bakshi or Don Bluth made Biollante more fluid. But then again, I would've loved in Sam Raimi got to do a remake of that film considering what he did with the Evil Dead series at the time under a limited budget. But that's an animated film.

The probability of the film being terrible, extremely trippy, or good really depends on what decade it'd be made in. A Hedorah movie made akin to the style of those Hanna Barbera anti-drug ads would be very interesting. But honestly? I can't really see that many animation filmmakers being able to pull off Godzilla.

But I really did like Godzilla vs. Hedorah, so a film like that would be pretty cool, if not a remake of either MechaGodzilla film or Gojira itself.

If midway in the 80's? I'd prefer Toei to do with Sunbow/Marvel like the Transformer or G.I.Joe movies, so they could have realistic looking people and backgrounds to allow for the detail, but still had enough of a style.

But nothing like those movies that talked about the true values of Mormonism and whatever religion to cover. Because it was cringe inducing, most likely due to the uncanny valley and the clumsy animation. They're still funny for the wrong reasons.