Character discussion: Son of Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: Son of Godzilla

Post by edgaguirus »

Son of Godzilla is a good film, and I wish I was able to watch it more often. However, character wise, it doesn't have much to offer.

Goro is the best of the bunch. He plays an intrepid and brave reporter willing to do anything for a story. I think I like him because he reminds me of Chujo from Mothra. Both are willing to go to great lengths for a story, and they both show courage and brains. Goro also carries a few comic moments, which makes him more entertaining than the scientists.

Saeko, the jungle girl, is the sole female of the movie, and this causes a small problem for her character IMO. Her knowledge of the island makes her a valuable asset for the team of scientists, and she can hold her own when danger comes. The problem is that they also try to make her Goro's love interest, but this subplot is hardly developed. It's more like a footnote. While Daiyo was treated as one of the boys, Saeko falls into the trap role of love interest when it serves little purpose.

Dr. Kusumi is well played, and acts and speaks like a true scientist. He is convincing as the leader as well, strong when needed, but also friendly in quieter moments.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discussion: Son of Godzilla

Post by Space Hunter M »

"You see, whenever I think I'm onto a good story, I get this sort of ache. And my stomach doesn't lie. That's how I know I'm onto a good story!"

HEEHEE THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE RADIO

Tadao Takashima looks weird with graying hair makeup.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love the characters in Son of Godzilla, its a huge part of the films appeal to me. Gotta give huge props to Yoshio Tsuchiya he does an absolutely phenomenal job of showing Furukawa's slow decent in madness by nothing more than his expressions and mannerisms.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

One of my favorite bunch of characters in the entire Showa series, and a huge part of why this movie is so charming.

Goro, Saeko and Dr. Kusumi are just endlessly likable, and the movie gets mileage out of that even when giving them conflicting motivations. All this with Godzilla and Minya running around also getting in their way, while remaining sympathetic, and I think it makes for one of the best monster-human interactions among the lighter-hearted movies. The fact that Kumonga makes a villain for both groups that trumps any other conflict works well too. The script and actors are really on-point here.
While Daiyo was treated as one of the boys, Saeko falls into the trap role of love interest when it serves little purpose.
This is a fair critique though. Thankfully it's not pushed too hard, but then, you're right -- why is it there at all?